Not losing while working out

Options
nehtaeh
nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
Here's my scenario: I can do a workout routine, 30 day shred or whatever. I keep it up for 4-5 weeks then usually have some reason that I take a break. Recently I did 5 weeks of turbo fire then life got in the way for two weeks. During the workouts I lost 0 pounds. I actually lost very few inches as well. I know that I did tone quite a bit and can feel changes in my body so there's that. As soon as I stopped the workouts I lost more pounds than in the last year. Can anyone help me understand why this is? Why do I not lose while I'm working out, but as soon as I stop the pounds fly off? Is it because I only have a few pounds left to actually lose? Can I really be building muscle this whole time to counter the fat loss?

It's not a super big deal as I am seeing changes. I like the changes and I like the workouts so I'll continue, but why no pounds lost? What is the body explanation behind this?

TIA!

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Are you compensating and eating back the calories you burn when you work out?
    Are there any other dietary changes in that time (increased water intake, sodium/sugar monitoring?)

Sorry, don't really have enough info to give a good answer until there's a bit more detail - maybe open up your diary?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Muscle and recovery require water and glycogen storage. If you stop working out, atrophy of the muscle happens which is the reduction of water and glycogen. This is significant weight since it's stored all over the body.
  • jpeper1966
    jpeper1966 Posts: 79
    Options
    I would also guess that you are eating back your workout calories. Since the calorie credits for exercise here are a little high, you may be eating too many whiile working out. But hey, if you are toning and then losing after, it is working eventually. Right?
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    The "payoff" we'll call it isn't always IMMEDIATE - your body runs on a delay with diet choices and exercise. Everyone's different of course, but in my experience, weight comes off from choices and efforts from one or two weeks beforehand. And as your muscles build, you will burn more efficiently. The inches are the real tell! When I did jazzercise years ago I didnt see much change for a few months. Then all of a sudden I dropped 2 sizes - yet the scale stayed just about the same throughout.

Trust in the process, it will continue to happen for you :) Best wishes!
  • DeboMcD7
    DeboMcD7 Posts: 6
    Options
    This sort of happened me. Even though I had been losing a pound every few days while I was exercising, they seemed to drop off quicker when I took a break and relied on diet. I did read somewhere that muscles retain water or something while you're exercising so I suppose it got used up when you stopped and that was reflected on the scale?
    I've love to know the exact reason why too though.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    I do eat back my exercise calories. Sorry, I can go into my diet a bit.

I don't eat the healthiest, but not the worst. There is junk there, but there is good stuff too. Overall though, my diet does not change. In fact, this last "fall from exercising" I would say I ate worse.

I guess I didn't talk about the diet because that really isn't changing between these times. My goal is set to lose 1/2 pound per week, 1460 cals and I usually eat that. If I work out, I eat more, and sometimes when I don't.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Muscle and recovery require water and glycogen storage. If you stop working out, atrophy of the muscle happens which is the reduction of water and glycogen. This is significant weight since it's stored all over the body.

BINGO, great answer, basicly it's water
  • nehtaeh
    Options

Is this a contuing thing? Will I get to the point where my muscles aren't doing this, or have reached their max, and lose while working out?

Overall, this is good, I just wonder why.

I use a HRM so my cal burn is based on that. And, I trust the goal cals set by MFP as I don't have much of a problem maintaining.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, but it all depends on your metabolism.

I find that when I work out, and am really watching what I am eating (in my calorie goal - with exercise - to make sure my body isn't running too big of a calorie deficit) it takes about 3 weeks before the pounds start moving quickly.

I have read a number of articles on here and on active.com that talk about what happens when you don't eat enough you are not helping yourself, but telling you body to store any food as fat in starvation mode. This in turn, reduces the efficiency of your metabolism - and often makes your body lose muscle, not fat.

Again, as you build up your body and tone your muscles, you make them more efficient so they can burn fat even when resting. So, the residual results of your work-outs could be why your weight sheds more quickly after stopping. (But I suppose this would stop at some point)

Also - I find that if I cut back on salt intake, it makes it shed more quickly.

I would seek professional help, like your doctor, since it could be linked to other factors. (For example, my aunt has an extremely difficult time losing weight due to thyroid issues.)

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Is this a contuing thing? Will I get to the point where my muscles aren't doing this, or have reached their max, and lose while working out?

I use a HRM so my cal burn is based on that. And, I trust the goal cals set by MFP as I don't have much of a problem maintaining.
    How long have you been doing your workout? Many times people are unaware that doing the same routine for more than 2 months results in zero results because the body adapts. That's why walking mailmen never get thinner even with all the walking they do daily.
    Change your workout if it's been more than 2 months. Also make sure you're doing strength first before cardio.
  • nehtaeh
    Options

How long have you been doing your workout? Many times people are unaware that doing the same routine for more than 2 months results in zero results because the body adapts. That's why walking mailmen never get thinner even with all the walking they do daily.
    Change your workout if it's been more than 2 months. Also make sure you're doing strength first before cardio.

I've been doing turbo fire. I'm on week 7, so I guess 7 weeks total. I got to week 5 then had life happen. I was off for a couple weeks and that's when I lost about 3 pounds I guess. I picked it back up and I'm back to maintaining.

While I've been doing the same workout, it's different each day and each week.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Wow - well I wish I could be more helpful but I feel like you are getting some good advice- water retention, muscle memory, etc. If you are doing TurboFire that should be "switching up" your routine enough that you get results.

Good luck though - I tend to view the "feel" or "tone" of my body/muscles as more important than numbers (on a scale or measurements) and considering how close you are to your goal and the fact that you notice these results, that's a good thing!