Stevia- Yay or nay?

Options
I recently picked up an Oxygen fitness magazine which had some fantastic dessert recipes Many of the recipes add in Stevia to sweeten the food without using real sugar or artificial sugar. I tried it yesterday and I'm currently eating a bit with my breakfast this morning. Does anyone have any thoughts on Stevia and its potential benefits/side effects?

Thanks!

Jam

Replies

• yellowpear
    yellowpear Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would also love to know.
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    from everything I have heard or read Stevia is all natural I use it haven't had any side effects I heard its WAY better than splenda because splenda is artificial and stevia comes from a plant.
  • LynneMoseley
    LynneMoseley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love it. I bought a book by a female trainer called, "This is Why You're Fat." And out of all the artificial sweeteners, she recommends Truvia (which is stevia based). I use it in my coffee, and mix it with my plain oatmeal or plain Greek yogurt. I have always been a Splenda fan, so it has been an easy switch. She makes an argument for why Truvia is a better choice for your body over the other artificial sweeteners, but I can't remember specifically what it is. It had to do with blood sugar levels and how Truvia is a better choice because it doesn't raise blood sugar levels like sugar and most of the other artificial sweetners do.

I haven't tried baking with it yet although it sounds like it would be a good choice. Hope this helps and look forward to hearing about your experience with it.

Lynne
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I started using Stevia after reading that my beloved splenda wasn't natural like I thought...I like it but it's not as sweet as splenda but if it's better for me, then that's what I'm going to use.

5158451.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Jamazurunner
    Jamazurunner Posts: 132
    Options
    from everything I have heard or read Stevia is all natural I use it haven't had any side effects I heard its WAY better than splenda because splenda is artificial and stevia comes from a plant.

Phew! I'm glad I'm not going to grow an extra eyeball or anything. I hear that there may be some issues with digestion and Stevia, but only a small percentage or folks have it. I've also heard that consumption of Stevia may be associated with some kinds of cancer.

Yet I will say that in small doses, it tastes great on anything and it really satisfies my sweet tooth. Its such a better alternative to Splenda!
  • Mother4Jesus
    Mother4Jesus Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    HEre's my take on it..for what it's worth...

FOr many years people used Splenda thinking it was "Natural"...it's not..
    I've been using Stevia for a long time, but i've seen alot of other main stream companies jummping on the Stevia band wagon. At first glance this seems good but it has me wondering about how "Natural" Stevia really is once it's processed for our consumption.

Don't get me wrong..I use Stevia and I love it...it's a better alternative to Splenda or Equal but i don't think I would label it as "Natural" Because of all the processing they've done to it. It Does come from a natural starting point, unlike Splenda.

So, long story short. I use it. :laugh:
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I use both Splenda and Stevia (and sometimes Sugar Twin), I find that Stevia has a slightly odd back taste that I don't particularly like but not enough to not use it. I don't particularly buy the "if it is from a plant it must be better for me" argument but I think the jury is out on most sweeteners so I prefer to eat a little of each in my diet to minimize the bad that any one might introduce. Also something that I found when I was doing the low-carb thing is that two different sweeteners will taste better and sweeter when mixed than separately. Your mileage may vary :-)

For instance when I doctor my “natural” peanut butter, I usually add one packet of Splenda, Stevia, and Sugar Twin and some salt to taste to a Kg of PB. (I know, but I like the flavor and I figure it is better than the stuff that comes with the salt and sugar added :-)
  • LynneMoseley
    LynneMoseley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You guys should try Truvia. It actually says on the container that is a good substitute for diabetics, which means it will not raise blood sugar levels, which will help keep your insulin levels in check. Here is some good information I found on a website:

"Truvia and stevia have already been used to treat conditions like obesity and high blood pressure, and looks to even be a healthy alternative to sugar for diabetics. Truvia doesn’t seem to have the same effects on blood sugar levels that traditional sugar does, making it extremely attractive to diabetics."

And a Truvia vs. Stevia debate:

"First up, what is Truvia?
    Truvia first hit the market in 2008 so it’s a pretty new artificial way to sweeten beverages and even cooking. But you’re going to find that the way it’s made is really just through a concoction of ingredients that you’re probably already somewhat familiar with for the most part. You’ll find that Truvia is really the alcohol component of sugar called erythritol as well as natural heighteners like salt and pepper to bring out the flavor a little bit more. That means you’re basically getting that sugary taste, but without actually having sugar.

By comparison, what is Stevia?
    Stevia is actually quite simply a plant that is native to South and Central America in the tropical regions. You’ll find that in it’s natural state this is considered to be around 300 times sweeter than sugar in the same type of form or does. That means it’s extremely effective at producing that sweet flavor that most people love sugar for. You’ll find that it’s also handy for treating glucose levels in patients, as well as high blood pressure. So the first thing that you’ll find with truvia vs. stevia is that stevia tends to be quite a bit more natural.

Negatives of Truvia
    You’ll find that the negative aspects of truvia can be many, and they are all in relation to the digestive system. You’ll find that truvia is known for causing intestinal distress and that means it’s going to cause diarrhea in some people, as well as bloating, gas, and other types of related discomfort. But it’s not responsible for anything major, and you’ll find that it also has FDA approval so you know that it’s safe enough when used sparingly.

Negatives of Using Stevia
    You’ll find with truvia vs. stevia only one of these is actually totally acceptable by FDA standards, and it’s not stevia. That’s because while it’s a natural substance, in higher doses you’ll find that this substance can be responsible for all sorts of bad things. Sometimes stevia extract can really throw glucose levels out of whack in healthy people, as well as affecting cardiovascular and reproductive function, so it may be one to be avoided especially if you drink or eat a lot of sweetened food."

Hope this helps!
  • Mother4Jesus
    Options
    You guys should try Truvia. It actually says on the container that is a good substitute for diabetics, which means it will not raise blood sugar levels, which will help keep your insulin levels in check. Here is some good information I found on a website:

"Truvia and stevia have already been used to treat conditions like obesity and high blood pressure, and looks to even be a healthy alternative to sugar for diabetics. Truvia doesn’t seem to have the same effects on blood sugar levels that traditional sugar does, making it extremely attractive to diabetics."

And a Truvia vs. Stevia debate:

"First up, what is Truvia?
    Truvia first hit the market in 2008 so it’s a pretty new artificial way to sweeten beverages and even cooking. But you’re going to find that the way it’s made is really just through a concoction of ingredients that you’re probably already somewhat familiar with for the most part. You’ll find that Truvia is really the alcohol component of sugar called erythritol as well as natural heighteners like salt and pepper to bring out the flavor a little bit more. That means you’re basically getting that sugary taste, but without actually having sugar.

By comparison, what is Stevia?
    Stevia is actually quite simply a plant that is native to South and Central America in the tropical regions. You’ll find that in it’s natural state this is considered to be around 300 times sweeter than sugar in the same type of form or does. That means it’s extremely effective at producing that sweet flavor that most people love sugar for. You’ll find that it’s also handy for treating glucose levels in patients, as well as high blood pressure. So the first thing that you’ll find with truvia vs. stevia is that stevia tends to be quite a bit more natural.

Negatives of Truvia
    You’ll find that the negative aspects of truvia can be many, and they are all in relation to the digestive system. You’ll find that truvia is known for causing intestinal distress and that means it’s going to cause diarrhea in some people, as well as bloating, gas, and other types of related discomfort. But it’s not responsible for anything major, and you’ll find that it also has FDA approval so you know that it’s safe enough when used sparingly.

Negatives of Using Stevia
    You’ll find with truvia vs. stevia only one of these is actually totally acceptable by FDA standards, and it’s not stevia. That’s because while it’s a natural substance, in higher doses you’ll find that this substance can be responsible for all sorts of bad things. Sometimes stevia extract can really throw glucose levels out of whack in healthy people, as well as affecting cardiovascular and reproductive function, so it may be one to be avoided especially if you drink or eat a lot of sweetened food."

Hope this helps!

Truvia is going to say that theirs is better...that's to be expected. As for only one brand of Stevia being approved by the FDA..that doesn't shock me. Stevia is approved as an herbal supplement because the creators/makers of Stevia aren't paying someone off at the FDA. LOL

Again, I'll that Stevia in any form is better than Equal or Splenda but to think that it's still natural after all the processing, is not true. It's origin is natural but the end result is not.
  • amyliu7
    amyliu7 Posts: 17
    Options
    i use stevia because it's supposedly healthier than splenda. but i like the taste of splenda more. i find stevia to be too sweet and it doesn't really taste good in tea or coffee.
  • Mother4Jesus
    Options
    i use stevia because it's supposedly healthier than splenda. but i like the taste of splenda more. i find stevia to be too sweet and it doesn't really taste good in tea or coffee.

It does take some getting use to. I just don't want to use Splenda or Equal.
  • jersey0725
    jersey0725 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use stevia, in baking, lemonade, pretty much anything. It comes from a plant, so it is as natural as sugar. The reason why it is zero-calorie is because your body can't break it down, and it doesn't effect the blood sugar like cane sugar does. I think it has a little bitter taste, and it is much sweeter than sugar. I usually use 1 packet for 1 Tbsp of sugar.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I got a free sample of Stevia in the mail. I put it in my iced coffee BLECK!! I hope its better in other things, but I probably won't be buying it.
  • jayb123x
    jayb123x Posts: 138
    Options
    I have read it has a bitter after taste. Any truth to this? I'm just going to stop on the way home and pick up a bag today.
    -Jason
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have read it has a bitter after taste. Any truth to this? I'm just going to stop on the way home and pick up a bag today.
    -Jason

I think it honestly depends on the brand! It does have an aftertaste - it reminds me a little bit of anise, but some brands are stronger than others. Truvia is the best tasting by far, in my opinion.
  • Danigirl1028
    Options
    I have to watch my sugar and I tried Stevie in Tea and didn't like it. I found it to be too sweet. So now I either drink it black or I use Agave Nectar Light. It's a sweetener, it's natural, and it tastes like candy. It only has 60 cal per 1 tbl spoon, no fat, no sodium, 16g carbs, 15g sugar, 1g of fiber and no protein. It's an organic pure sweetener.