Water retention

Options
I started using the myfitness pal about a week ago, turns out i can keep up with the calories : ) but i have huge amounts of water retention... Any suggestions?

Replies

• jcaa2011
    jcaa2011 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Watching your sodium intake is the best way I've found of keeping it in check :) I had that problem as well, when first I started keeping track of how much sodium I normally take in I was amazed at the amount and decided it was time to cut back!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking sodium intake in your food diary?
  • Boomerof51
    Boomerof51 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Keep track of your sodium intake and drink lots of water...at least 8 glasses per day.
  • hughannah
    hughannah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hey, i get real bad water retention and the best way to sort it for me is flush my body through with more water hope this helps
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yep sodium! I look at so many diaries and they might be below on cals but they are full of "diet bars" etc that are really high on sodium basically anything packaged is going to be. I try to keep below 1500mg a day 1000 less than what MFP recommends and it works really well.
  • MeganJo
    MeganJo Posts: 69
    Options
    Definitely watch your sodium intake and drink MORE water! It is actually recommended you drink at least 96 oz a day, the 8 glasses per day is a bit out of date. Good luck!
  • Qhoney24
    Qhoney24 Posts: 31
    Options
    Indeed that salt is a beast besides water, sitting in a steamroom helps if you dont have any heart problems etc. A friend of mind had the same problem with her sodium for the military and we hit that steamroom up and increase her water intake and it dropped :) sweat that salt out girl
  • kaligrl1
    kaligrl1 Posts: 54
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips, I have been trying to keep my sodium below 1300 it is difficult and food is pretty blan but i can see my anckles : )
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    If you can't cut way back on the salty foods (and I sure understand that since salt is my guilty pleasure), ask your Doctor/Gyno to prescribe a mild diuretic but don't take one every day! Just when you are really bloated.
    I also heard that extra potassium (bananas, yogurt, blueberries) helps flush it too.

I recently read a blog where a bunch of doctors were arguing that the water flush is a myth and actually makes the retention worse. Something about salt and water being BFF's. I'm don't know about that myself but I do know when I get puffy, I drink a lot of water! But I also up the potassium.