Sedentary or Active?

Options
Here's a possibly dumb question from a "pro" dieter... (and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but my search results were inconclusive for me)

Should I be set at "sedentary" or "active"?

I have a desk job. I sit down for 8 hours a day at work, getting up and walking around to do trivial office tasks maybe hourly.

Then I often go home and sit some more (during dinner, while watching TV, while studying, etc.).

BUT... I exercise 6 to 7 days a week for an hour at a time.

So... should I keep my settings at "sedentary" because of what I do the majority of the time, or switch to "active" because of my exercise routine?

Thanks to anyone who reads and answers this (rather basic) question.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    well if you want to be anal and add every movement you do then to sedentary, if you dont want to put in your workouts then put it as active and just use this site for the food diary and what ever other stuff there is available.
  • HankFit247
    HankFit247 Posts: 139
    Options
    You are considered Sendentary, as your walking around the office is not enough to elevate the heart rate for an extended period of time.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks! That's where I have it set, I just wanted to make sure that I was correct. :-)

Plus I always eat my exercise calories.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    give it a try for two weeks (whatever you choose) and then adjust your intake from there. there is no magic solution or equation... just trial and error. :)
  • skinnyjeans1224
    skinnyjeans1224 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your routine is like mine. I'm set to sendentary.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It depends...are you logging your excercise activity, if so then sendentary if not, then active. The sedentary/active thing works out how many calories you burn that aren't actually counted from activites. For example, I'm a housewife and most of what I do during the day (scrubbing floors, cleaning windows, doing dishes, etc) uses a fair ammount of calories, but doesn't come under excercise, o I put myself as mildly active and then the ystem takes into account that I get up and do stuff rather than sit on my *kitten* all day and takes that into account when giving me a rough estimate a to how many calories I'm using before excercise comes into it.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Here's a possibly dumb question from a "pro" dieter... (and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but my search results were inconclusive for me)

Should I be set at "sedentary" or "active"?

I have a desk job. I sit down for 8 hours a day at work, getting up and walking around to do trivial office tasks maybe hourly.

Then I often go home and sit some more (during dinner, while watching TV, while studying, etc.).

BUT... I exercise 6 to 7 days a week for an hour at a time.

So... should I keep my settings at "sedentary" because of what I do the majority of the time, or switch to "active" because of my exercise routine?

Thanks to anyone who reads and answers this (rather basic) question.

sedentary...exercise should not take into account the rest of your day. Trust me on this.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    My exercise is walking a couple of miles a day but I work at a sedentary desk job. I set mine to moderately active that way I don't have to log exercise daily. If I go above and beyond, like this weekend I will be on a 4 mile hike up a mountain, then I will log it. It is just simpler that way for me.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My situation is pretty much identical and I listed myself as sedentary. I think, if my understanding is correct, that the sedentary is your basic lifestyle, not necessarily inclusive of work outs. So, if you listed yourself as active, it would probably give you MORE calories and you would not lose weight (unless you really were active). So, given that we are mostly sedentary except for our workouts, we need less calories, so we are classified as sedentary. Make sense? I think that is correct - but someone correct me if I'm wrong! LOL. And continued good luck on your journey!!!
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I would go with sedentary. Good luck!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this, i was wondering the same thing. I have a very similar schedule, so i put sedentary. I don't want to be given too many calories.