Mushrooms

Options
Feddyvon
Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
If you asked me about mushrooms before starting this diet journey, I would have told you "No Thanks.". I've realized that I actually quite enjoy them, and am looking for a few various ways to prepare them to keep it new. Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies

• imaprncs
    imaprncs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump, i LOVE mushrooms!
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I too have started to enjoy mushrooms more!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I love mushrooms too! i need more recipes for them as well.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm, yummy
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Portabella mushrooms grilled on the BBQ with steak spice and garlic taste just like a steak!
    and you can substitute pretty much any meat in any dish with mushrooms and barely notice a difference.
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    Portobello pizzas are the BEST - use a big portobello cap, and put on low cal marinara, turkey sausage, and a little shredded cheese and bake them up! The recipe from The Biggest Loser ends up being about 100 calories for EACH one, and they are filling! SO SO GOOD!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My husband calls me his mushie monster cause I LOVE LOVE LOVE mushrooms.

I pan fry them and put them on top of my eggs. I make homemade soup and load up the mushrooms. Its fabulous in lasagna.

Those are just some examples, hope they help :)
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you a little secret that has worked for me... I hated broccoli with a passion, but I read somewhere that if you eat something regularly enough your taste will adapt to it and you'll actually start enjoying it more and more as you go along. I find this to be true, I love broccoli now even though at the start it would be a strugle to get me to eat it...

So even if you don't particularly like something that is good for you, try to eat it often, you'll see that within a few weeks your taste will have adjusted and you don't mind it anymore and perhaps you even start enjoying it.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    oooo We love mushrooms in our house! The BF loves portobellos marinated in balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil, basil & oregano, then thrown on the grill like a burger! They are delicious on a bun with hummus, lettuce, tomato, and provolone cheese! Seriously, best burger ever.
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    I make a mushroom lovers pasta that I eat on the days my fiance is away *he hates mushrooms* I have done this with and without the chicken.

Classico - Mushroom Alfredo Sauce, 3/8 cup 105 5 8 3 3 450
    Generic - Crimini Mushrooms, Raw, 1 container (8 oz.s ea.) 64 8 0 8 0 16
    Ronzoni- Smart Taste - Rotini Pasta, 2 oz. 170 40 1 6 5 0
    Tyson - Fully Cooked Grilled Chicken Breast Strips, 1.5 oz. (84g) 50 1 1 11 0 235

Cook pasta according to directions. Saute mushrooms in nonstick pan using butter flavor nonstick spray, until all the juice evaporates. Add chicken and sauce and about 1/4 cup of the water from pasta and cook until heated through. Add pasta and YUM YUM YUM.

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sodium
    389 54 10 28 8 701
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love sauteeing (?) mine in low sodium chicken broth, with onions and garlic...or escargo in mushrooms tops with garlic margarine over top is one of my favorite treats
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I make mushroom gravy:
    Saute a shallot and several minced cloves of garlic in a little olive oil. Add a bunch of finely chopped mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms release their juices. Add a favorite broth (about 1 C), then thicken with cornstarch/water.

Roasted portobello caps are one of my favorites.
    Option 1:
    pour a little balsamic vinegar into a cap (previously sprayed with cooking spray), sprinkle with garlic powder, then roast (425 F, 15-20 minutes or until fork tender). Add 1T of blue cheese crumbles and return to oven. (I eat these on a bed of greens, with a fork and knife. They could also be burgers)

Option 2: Just spray the mushroom, then roast. When fork tender, fill with leftover risotto and top with parmesan. Return to the oven until the cheese melts/rice is hot. (I particularly like this with spinach and covered in marinara sauce.)

Mushroom sandwich
    This one is a little calorific, but worth it.
    Saute sliced button mushrooms. Layer on bread pre-spread with pesto. Add mild white cheese (jack, moz., muenster), then grill (Spray grease to the rescue, or butter...) to melt the cheese.
    (This is modified from a restaurant dish: it's served there on a croissant. So it could be worse for us...so very tasty, though.)
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread a few weeks ago but thought i'd rehash it here as it is gorgeous!

Stuffed field mushrooms (serves 2 or one hungry man!)

2 large field mushrooms (larger the better for a meatier texture
    Large handful of spinach shredded
    4 spring onions
    Garlic (to taste, I use 1 clove but I'm garlic mad)
    Drizzle of olive oil
    50-75g Gorgonzola or other strong cheese, grated
    2-4 ripe cherry tomatoes quartered
    Pinch salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning

Preheat the oven to Gas 6.
    Wash and dry the mushrooms and remove the stalks
    Place hollow side up on an oven proof dish.
    Plunge the spinach in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, drain and squeeze out as much water as you can (clean tea towel is good for this)
    Slice the spring onion and mushroom stalks and crush the garlic then fry using a small amount of olive oil until soft, add the spinach and toss to mix
    Spoon the onion and spinach mix into the middle of the mushrooms and pour any juices/oil
    Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the onion and then arrange the tomatoes on top.
    Sprinkle with salt, pepper and the Italian seasoning.
    Cover (lid or foil) and bake for 20 minutes, remove the lid and allow another few minutes to brown the cheese a little
  • Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for all of the great replies. I love the Biggest Loser recipe from above, definitely trying that soon.

Keep them coming!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I used to hate mushrooms, even as a veggie I never ate them, I love them now. So good. I'll throw them in a pan with a hint of oil and then add them to whatever other veggies I'm eating/on a salad after cooling, I'll toss them into an omlette. I don't really like them raw so I don't do that. Also, I used to throw them in a pan with onion and garlic and add it all to ground beef/steak/steak ums (?) and it was pretty great.
  • jacs2806
    jacs2806 Posts: 23
    Options
    Bump
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Mushroom side dish...
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 (8 ounce) package sliced white mushrooms
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tbsp reduce sodium soy sauce
    pepper/salt to taste
    Serves 2, 127 cals. Almost all from the butter, but mushrooms love butter...
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i love mushrooms! bump! I'll post my ideas later
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mushrooms!! I put them on everything!

I also do them as kabobs. Whole mushrooms, brush with olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic. Grill them lightly until they look wet. Mmmm.
  • goofynat
    goofynat Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump - mushrooms