yet another HRM question...

Options
I know I have seen a million questions posted on here about Heart Rate Monitors, but I am completely stupid when it comes to them :blushing: . I am currently deployed and do a TON of walking and try to work out as much as possible. I've decided that this may be a wise purchase to make but like I said I don't know anything about them.

I was checking out the Polar website as I have noticed that's what pretty much everyone reccomends. I found the FA20 Activity Computer and thought it might be a possibility. My main thing is I don't want to rely on wearing the actual chest strap 24/7 because I may not always readily have it. Like I said deployed locations and work out oppertunities can pop up at just about any time... so can anyone or everyone help me with this???

Thanks
kim :happy: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I know I have seen a million questions posted on here about Heart Rate Monitors, but I am completely stupid when it comes to them :blushing: . I am currently deployed and do a TON of walking and try to work out as much as possible. I've decided that this may be a wise purchase to make but like I said I don't know anything about them.

I was checking out the Polar website as I have noticed that's what pretty much everyone reccomends. I found the FA20 Activity Computer and thought it might be a possibility. My main thing is I don't want to rely on wearing the actual chest strap 24/7 because I may not always readily have it. Like I said deployed locations and work out oppertunities can pop up at just about any time... so can anyone or everyone help me with this???

Thanks
    kim :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    A few things. . .

the chest strap is actually not that uncomfortable, it kind of sits underneath your bra line, so wearing it all the time might not be as tricky as you think. I've worn mine all day a few times, or doing errands on a day that I'll end up at the gym. . .I always forget I have it on.

Or, you could strap it on very quickly, as long as you have a washroom available.

Just a thought. . . what I've heard people say about the ones without the chest strap is they're essentially an expensive watch. . .and I pretty much agree.:flowerforyou:
  • kimmerlyjo
    Options
    Have you noticed any issues with the strap when you get overly sweaty? all you do out here is sweat for the most part and then adding the gym to it too doesn't help any either...
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    The strap is very comfortable; no, there's no problem with being "overly sweaty;" and, it's small enough that you could pack it no problem and just throw it on when needed.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You actually want a lot of moisture between you and the strap. That's how you maintain conduction. If it's dry, you won't get a reading. Just make sure you handwash it at the end of the day to prevent it from getting stinky. The F11 Polar has a comfort strap that is all cloth except for the small transmitter.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    You actually want a lot of moisture between you and the strap. That's how you maintain conduction. If it's dry, you won't get a reading. Just make sure you handwash it at the end of the day to prevent it from getting stinky. The F11 Polar has a comfort strap that is all cloth except for the small transmitter.

The F6 strap is the same--cloth except for the transmitter. I thought they all were like that though?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

The F6 strap is the same--cloth except for the transmitter. I thought they all were like that though?

Nope, our exercise science lab has the crappy ones where half the strap is solid plastic and quite bulky.
  • kimmerlyjo
    Options
    i know the ones our gym on base used to have were these large bulky plastic stips that went all the way across the front and then had an elastic band in the back...

thanks for the help guys...