New to Gym... Help me!!

Options
Okay so im going to start a gym very soon and cant afford a personal trainer, So im wondering... how do i go about working out in the gym and keeping track and also adding my excersices on MFP? I know about reps and sets and what not... but im not familiar with the names of the machines and exersises.

Also wanted some advice about vitamins that are great for weightloss.

Thanks for reading!
add me <3

8350105.png

Replies

• leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Your gym should provide you with one free orientation session with a trainer, where they will walk you through the basic machines. Ask about it.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Just because you cant afford a trainer you can ask them all the questions you want and if your not sure of a machine they will show you how to properly use it use a HRM with chest strap to het you proper calorie and workout time
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer an induction to introduce you to the machines/classes etc. My gym actually has a 2 fold induction - the first shows you the machines and how to use them and the second part comes up with an activity plan which is tailored to me individually. Definitely ask about it!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    You don't have to log specific machines on here, just go under cardio and weight training. Go to bodybuilding.com and find a beginners routine, or I really like Women's Health. still do your cardio...I do 10 minutes cardio 15 minutes weight lifting 20 minutes cardio. (I also walk 45 minutes early in the day).
  • ThaCookieMonster
    ThaCookieMonster Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    oooo!! okay... thats really good news guys!
    I will definately ask about that.
  • ThaCookieMonster
    Options
    Just because you cant afford a trainer you can ask them all the questions you want and if your not sure of a machine they will show you how to properly use it use a HRM with chest strap to het you proper calorie and workout time

HRM ?
    Ive heard about it but what does it do and where can i get one?
  • ThaCookieMonster
    Options
    You don't have to log specific machines on here, just go under cardio and weight training. Go to bodybuilding.com and find a beginners routine, or I really like Women's Health. still do your cardio...I do 10 minutes cardio 15 minutes weight lifting 20 minutes cardio. (I also walk 45 minutes early in the day).

I walk 45 min a day too! and im going to check the website out thanks!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    HRM ?
    Ive heard about it but what does it do and where can i get one?
    HRM = Heart Rate Monitor

Basicly these monitor your heart rate and will tell you how many calories you have burned (provided you have correctly entered your Height, Weight, Age & Sex). These are available at your local sporting good stores and online. Just make sure whichever one you get has a chest strap as they are FAR more reliable then those without one. If you ask for recommendations here on MFP, you will find that the Polar FT4 & FT7 are by far the most popular.

HRM's while not perfect, are WAY more accurate than the estimates you will get from the machines at the gym and/or even the generic values given here on MFP.