Food suggestions - wisdom teeth removed

Options
lkwalker71
lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
I will be having my top two wisdom teeth removed on Friday. What suggestions does anyone have for foods I can eat that won't cause me to go over my calories? One food I do not like is yogurt. I also won't be able to exercise for a few days.
I did purchase some soup, sugar free/fat free pudding but I know I am going to want something else over the weekend besides that.

Replies

• Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Eggwhites

Protein Shakes (Most of them are under 200 C with a single scoop)

Just a couple suggestions.
  • cherbear7
    cherbear7 Posts: 37
    Options
    atkins protien shakes, no mixing up they are already packaged for you and there is a variety of flavors. Good Luck! I had mine out a couple months ago
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    what if you disquise the yogurt in a smoothie? anything you could mash would be an idea, also maybe some beans ( a nice pot of lentils or ?)
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi

I know everyone is different but i had 4 wisdom teeth removed in one go, one from each corner of my mouth and it didnt affect my eating ability at all! which was disappointing as i thought i would lose weight but i was eating the second i got home.....so long as you rinse you mouth as directed you can eat anything and you might be surprised how little it hurts...its more a jaw and face pain than teeth and gums....

good luck
  • XxBri22xX
    XxBri22xX Posts: 183
    Options
    I just got mine taken out a couple of weeks ago. I had all four removed. I ate yogurt, sugar free pudding, apple sauce, mashed potatoes and I did allow myself a little ice cream. Thats what I ate for the first couple of days. For the next few days I expanded my diet to salads, spaghetti, and i cut up chicken and turkey into real small pieces. I hope this helps! (:
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food processor or blender?

Veggie purees (carrot, sweet potato, cauliflower)

Bean purees (even if you don't have a food processor, get some refried beans in a can)

Protein shakes and smoothies. Watch out for berries with seeds.

If you have unflavored protein powder you can try adding it to your savory purees too.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    To be honest, the only thing I wanted to eat for awhile was ice cream. I ate a ton of it and still stayed under my calories.

But I was a huge baby about it so you might be different.

I also liked pudding, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, applesauce, protein shakes, smoothies and soups. Frozen fruit smoothies were also very soothing. Oh and hot chocolate and tea.
  • cmduncan
    cmduncan Posts: 69
    Options
    I just had mine taken out yesterday (small world!) although I had all 4 taken out. I was able to stay well under my calories (though my sodium intake was a bit high). I'm eating some yogurt (believe me when I say that I don't like it either - there are only two kinds I will eat - Yoplait Whips! in Chocolate Mousee and Strawberry mist), applesauce, fruit in gel cups and pudding cups that you mentioned. I'm also eating mac and cheese and instant mashed potatoes. If you're careful on portions and stagger your meals through out the day you shouldn't go over or feel to hungry w/o going over. Good luck on your recovery!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi

I know everyone is different but i had 4 wisdom teeth removed in one go, one from each corner of my mouth and it didnt affect my eating ability at all! which was disappointing as i thought i would lose weight but i was eating the second i got home.....so long as you rinse you mouth as directed you can eat anything and you might be surprised how little it hurts...its more a jaw and face pain than teeth and gums....

good luck

NOT TRUE for everyone. I couldn't chew for over a week.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    considering you will pretty much only be able to eat mushy food for a few days, I don' t think your calorie goal is in trouble... Good luck!
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You could try SlimFast chocolate shakes. They only have 190 calories and are delicious and super filling!
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes
    Tomato soup
    Jello
    Pudding

As time went on, I was able to chew soft-ish foods using my front teeth and swallow. It took me a really long time to eat 100% normal, I think about a month
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you not stress about your calorie count for the couple of days you'll be healing up from having your wisdom teeth removed. You don't have to lose weight those days, just eat a well-rounded diet so your body has all the fuel it needs to recover properly.

Soup, smoothies (no straw!), bananas, applesauce, and all the other good suggestions from everyone else are great ideas! Ice cream is not necessarily evil. :)
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi

good luck

NOT TRUE for everyone. I couldn't chew for over a week.

Agreed! Mine were so painful, i could hardly talk let alone swallow anything for days..but I did end up losing weight :)
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I do have a blender and have been telling my husband things he will need to get me from the store. I had my bottom ones removed over 20 years ago. I don't remember how much pain I was in then, at that age, I probably was not bothered by the pain:-)