Found TVP at Whole Foods

Options
MsElphaba
MsElphaba Posts: 430 Member
I have been looking for ways to boost my protein intake, and I stumbled across TVP in Whole Foods today. Where has this been all my life?

From what I can gather it is a meat subsititute/stretcher. While the idea of stretching our grocery budget is mildly exciting, what I would really like to know is how I can add it to snacks to up my protein and maybe breakfast.

What do you do with TVP?

Replies

• BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Once it is rehydrated, simply season it and treat it like a ground meat. It may not hold a shape well like a patty or meatball, think of uses where the ground meat would be loose like tacos or a spaghetti sauce. You could put it in scrambled eggs or a breakfast burrito if you eat those.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What on earth is TVP?!
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Textured Vegetable Protein

It's great for any sauces that call for ground beef. I like to add it to my stewed tomatoes and brown rice. I usually put it on top of cooked rice then add some balsamic vinegar and then the can of tomatoes and nuke.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It's the best! I have a recipe here on my blog for tacos made with it. Lately I've been using it to bulk up tuna salad and omelets. You can do anything with it that you can do with ground meat.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If you want to stretch your budget, stay away from Whole Foods or any other "lifestyle" store. I've shopped different markets here in SoCal (as well as in many of the 14 places I've lived in the US) and have yet to find anything that comes close to CostCo or Sam's.

Mind you, I have purchased things at Whole Foods — they had garam masala and I needed it for dinner that night. Also, their brsiket was reasonably priced for the excellent quality.

Other than that, I don't spend my $$ on Whole Foods. They're just too expensive.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    What on earth is TVP?!

Processed Soybean Chunks.

Err, wait, that doesn't fit?
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you! I was wondering what TVP is as well... May have to try it out!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Soupskin
    Options
    If you want to stretch your budget, stay away from Whole Foods or any other "lifestyle" store. I've shopped different markets here in SoCal (as well as in many of the 14 places I've lived in the US) and have yet to find anything that comes close to CostCo or Sam's.

Mind you, I have purchased things at Whole Foods — they had garam masala and I needed it for dinner that night. Also, their brsiket was reasonably priced for the excellent quality.

Other than that, I don't spend my $$ on Whole Foods. They're just too expensive.

Agreed. But I do go to WF for things like TVP and Tempeh. My local chains no longer carry TVP and their prices are actually lower for Tempeh than my local chains.

Even better, I love shopping at my local Asian supermarkets. There I can get Tofu, Tempeh and "Magic Noodles" (0 calorie noodles made from tofu and yam flour).
  • Soupskin
    Options
    Funny YouTube video about Whole Foods.

Lyrics may not be safe for work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc1pr2yUU
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    My main source of protein is pork loins from CostCo. Even here in SoCal (cost of living is $$$) it's only $1.95 per pound and there are lots of recipes for pork.

Just my thruppence…