The Problem with Eating Out

Options
BJPCraig
BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
Last night, a friend wanted to take my wife & I to the movies for my birthday. We decided to hit a local Red Robin for dinner before the film, so my wife & I decided what we'd want to eat and how many calories it would be, planned our day accordingly, and were able to do it without going over.

Here's the problem. If we ever needed proof that there's little nutritional value in chain restaurants, this was it. After sizeable veggie burgers, sides of sweet potato fries, splitting another order of sweet potato fries, we weren't satisfied! This was obviously enough food to fill our stomachs, so the only other option is that it was so devoid of nutrients that our bodies felt like we didn't eat anything!

We figured if we ever try this again, we'll replace the fries with a side salad. But overall, this is just one more reason why we prefer to eat at home!

Replies

• cmckenzie1913
    Options
    I agree whole heartedly! Its so very difficult to avoid the temptation of overeating and when you do go...everything looks so good. It is by design that these places only serve gut busting filling foods!
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yep! Not to mention all the sodium *shudder*

If I'm eating takeout I get chicken nuggets or mc chicken and a bottle of water.. fills me up and isn't too bad. the macca's salads are horrible unfortunately.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Yes, this happens to me sometimes as well. I am one of the only ones out of my group of friends in college who tries to eat healthy, and works out everyday no matter what. Whenever we decide to get together, it can never be simply movies, hanging out, etc. because someone always suggests going out to eat or getting ice cream. I can usually get away with going out to eat because I make sure we pick a place that has healthy options or their nutritional info online, but it gets really annoying after awhile.

They wonder why I'm so cautious, but between all of us, I was the only one who didn't gain the freshman fifteen. :)
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    Options
    good for you two going to red robin and staying under! I find that when I go there I am always way over even when I tried to stay in the healthy realm! I agree, eating in is much better for weight loss and health!