The Best Foods that Fill You Up and Boost Metabolism and She

Options
j_courter
j_courter Posts: 999 Member
I just finished reading a wonderful article about this... here's the link:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/13/is-your-food-making-you-old-by-ori-hofmekler.aspx

"...many believe that calorie restriction is the most effective strategy to get in shape and counteract aging. But the calorie restriction theory is only partly true. It can't always predict whether you'll gain weight or lose weight, neither can it predict whether you'll get in shape or get out of shape. You can be on a low calorie diet and fail to lose weight, and you can be on a high calorie diet and yet manage to slim down.

Emerging evidence indicates that there is another powerful factor behind the scene – one that overrules and dictates your energy expenditure, metabolic rate, body fat percentage, physical shape and eventually your biological age. That factor is the system that controls your hunger and satiety signals. And as you'll soon see, it has nothing to do with your calorie intake, but rather with what you eat and how often."

This is just the basics. The article goes on to describe just what this means to our exercising and diet goals. :-)

Replies

• PecanTanDiva
    PecanTanDiva Posts: 162
    Options
    Thanks for the link!!!
  • j_courter
    Options
    I think I finally understand why my mid-day snack of a Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Nut bar makes me want to eat more! I guess I won't be buying those anymore! Rats!
  • HavaTwizzz
    HavaTwizzz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This was a big eye-opener. Thanks so much for the link, I'm sharing with my friends and family, too!
  • j_courter
    Options
    This was a big eye-opener. Thanks so much for the link, I'm sharing with my friends and family, too!

my pleasure! i'm going to try to eat more beneficial foods and stay away from the sugary snacks (granola bars) masquarading as health food!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    bump to read later....
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    That's one of the best articles I've read, with current research-supported evidence of getting off the fatty, sugary foods.

I've just recently been trying to train myself to "endure hunger", which he talks about in the article. I was just doing it to prove that I would not die if I didn't eat something fatty/sugary, I don't have to make a bad food choice when that's all that is available at the time, I can instead choose to be hungry and wait until I can get to something healthy.

In the article he talks about "training your body to endure hunger", that's terrific! NOT AS A LIFESTYLE, but sporadically. As he says, "Your hunger must be acute, not chronic".

Really a great article, thank you so much for sharing!

:drinker:

Ice