the best single piece of fitness advice you ever got?

Options
what was one thing you read, heard, learned, that really stuck and helped you make changes? For me it was realizing that I needed to not go to the grocery store while hungry, if I could have will power at the store then the bad items would not be in my kitchen available to me when i was weak!!

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    My best peice of advice was that I need to just get up and do SOMETHING. I dont have to be perfect at what im doing, but as long as im doing it, then that is good enough for me. 40 pounds later, they were right!!
  • mychirona
    mychirona Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Seems cheesy, but it's what got me from proud couch potato to completing 2 half-marathons now.
  • getmehealthy
    Options
    shopping on a full stomach is much easier! My best advice received is portion control (for food) and just move (for exercise). Those are probably 2 of the most basic issues, but they got me started and keep me going. And I'm still doing both and more 64 pounds later.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    For me it was more the mindset of: "NO EXCUSES -- only I have the power to change ME and I can take control of ME!!!"
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Wasn't really advice, but more of a question from my 6-year old daughter:

"Daddy, you're really big - you're not going to die, are you?"
  • CaRmenSandieGo0
    Options
    Weight loss is "90% mental...10%physical"..(Beyonce)

Humans today, don't use their minds the way they did millions..of years ago..but I've seen women who were NOT pregnant have EVERY SINGLE SYMPTOM...of pregnancy.

The mind is a powerful thing.
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My best advice was if your struggling during an exercise, only do what you can do correctly. It is better to do 20 crunches the correct way than doing 50 crunches half a**! I live by this when I am working out if I feel like im slacking!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Wasn't really advice, but more of a question from my 6-year old daughter:

"Daddy, you're really big - you're not going to die, are you?"

oh my that one made me tear up a little. From the mouths of babes. congrats on your loss!!
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    "take it one day at a time". I always tried to "lose weight fast!" by doing over crash/fad diet known to man and even resorted to pills that did nothing... i was so focused on the end result that i never really thought about what i really needed to do to get there. by taking it one day at a time and knowing that each day of healthy living is bringing me just a little closer, the journey to lose weight has actually been enjoyable! all you need is a little patience. ;)
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When you go to the grocery store stay to the outside and shop there only. That is where the health food is locate (Fresh vegs, fruits, meat, dairy, etc)
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When you go to the grocery store stay to the outside and shop there only. That is where the health food is locate (Fresh vegs, fruits, meat, dairy, etc)

i like this. and i am totally doing it. lol
  • strivingforhealth
    Options
    awesome quote!!!!
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    " no pain no gain " - lol this quote takes me back

"even when you've given 100% you can always give more"
  • luvmykid28
    luvmykid28 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,597 Member
    Options
    The best advice I got was from someone who told me I needed to be sure to eat enough and often. She used to say, "Hungry minds make bad choices," and she was so right.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    "The goal is to eat something green every day." (my roommate's advice)

I was horrified to look back and realize i would go weeks without the greens. Now it's like a game :)
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body" (except for sharp pain, which of course could be something more serious and perhaps require medical attention before it becomes worse). Great advice. ;wink:
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Best advice: You will never regret working out. You will only regret NOT working out.

This has gotten me out of bed and out the door soooo many times after a rough night with the kids. And you know what, I've never regretted working out. It makes me feel much better and much more equipped to face the day (even one with a sick kidlet).
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Every day we make choices that will either help us towards our goals or hinder us. Sometimes they're right, sometimes wrong, making the right choice more than the wrong is living a healthy lifestyle.

~Tommy Rosen

More specific to training:

When you resistance train, control and precision make results not weight and reps.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    " no pain no gain " - lol this quote takes me back

"even when you've given 100% you can always give more"

Agree as you can tell by my profile pic. That and my own mantra:

Quality Inputs and Quality Outputs make a Quality Body