has anyone tried the Miracle Noodles?

Options
I keep seeing them adrertised and remember reading articles in magazines a few years ago. Have you tried them? how do they taste?

Replies

• 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    Good question! I am really curious too!!
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    the zero calorie miracle noodles? I love them. I order them through Amazon subscribe and save.
  • Tahru
    Tahru Posts: 58
    Options
    The Shirataki noodles? Well our family is going to try them soon (we can get them at our local Asian Grocer) and I'll probably post something about them if you want XD;

OH, and if you want to try them...order them off of an Asian Grocer site or get them at a store themselves. Much../much/ cheaper. I think 16 oz of those noodles are like...about 2 bucks.
  • catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    Options
    yes! reviews if you try them! and thx everyone for feedback :)
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I like them in asian dishes (if you've ever had the cold vermicelli noodle dishes from a Vietnamese restaurant, they're GREAT for that). Never tried them in other pasta dishes (texture is wrong, IMHO)...
  • PaulaButHag
    Options
    I have used the Miracle Noodle spaghetti and the rice one. They are OK. The texture is kinda weird and funny. But, if you truly have to have "pasta" then they will do. Just follow the directions and rinse them well. The blanching is almost as important. I have 3 kinds, but since I have limited dairy, there has been no use for them as much.
  • Tammydf
    Tammydf Posts: 2
    Options
    Like the other poster, I also love them and order them via Amazon.com. One thing that some people complain about is their texture. Be aware they are not exactly like regular noodles....because they aren't! They are actually a root that is nothing but pure soluble fiber. They have NO flavor of their own! What I do to inject alot of flavor into them is first open the package, rinse them thoroughly of the liquid they are shipped in. Then I add allllllllllllllllllllllll sorts of different fresh veggies and then I boil them in 2 cups of whatever flavor stock (chicken, beef or veggie) and keep boiling it till that 2 cups is reduced to only about 1/2 a cup. Add about 1/2 cup extremely thinly sliced (could be precooked if you prefer) beef, chicken, etc. And you have yourself a VERY filling and delicious (not to mention healthy) soup to get you through till your next meal. I do not suggest eating these at every meal though. It could make you bloated and 3-5 days later find yourself in the bathroom quite often!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of them, and I LOVE to be creative with my dishes.... so thank you for letting me know about them! I'm going to check them out and order some!!!! :)
  • Tammydf
    Tammydf Posts: 2
    Options
    Tahru, those Shirataki noodles are different then the miracle noodles. They have calories AND carbs. They are made from tofu. The miracle noodles are made from a root of a japanese veggie that I can't remember the name of off hand.
  • iamhopeful
    iamhopeful Posts: 25
    Options
    Interesting.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I just ordered some on amazon. They were the angel hair, and it came in a pack of 6 pkgs. My plan is this weekend, to make some grilled chicken and veggies, and use the noodles as a side dish, after cooking them in some chicken broth or stock and drizzling some lemon juice on them.

Do the noodles hold up well for a reheat? Like, if I were to take them to lunch at work the next day?
  • CocoNuttie
    CocoNuttie Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi, I think I'll try answer this..

Im from Asia (though not Japanese) and grow up eating Japanese food regularly as it is my favourite. So I've had these Shirataki noodles since I was young but to be honest only really just realise they are zero/low calories when I start going on diet. Lucky I love cooking!! so been able to make quite good dishes (to me anyway :D) out of this noodle

As far as I understand the Shirataki noodle is made from Konyaku (which in turn is made of some kind of yam). Konyaku is sold in lump and the shirataki is the noodle version. The one you find in Japanese/Korean shop are mostly without the tofu and you can simply check the nutrition table if they contain any carb or not. There are tofu version but I have never had it before.

The way I have them is either traditional way, which is in Suki yaki. This is a kind of Japanese hot pot dish with soup based on Soy sauce, sugar, mirin and sake. It's healthy and delicious! just be careful on the sugar and soysauce....

With that you fry thinly slice beef in, traditionally beef fat, but I just use a bit of olive oil, then large spring onion. Then add the soup mix, tofu, mushroom (****ake or oyster), shirataki noodle, and all the other asian veg you like!!. Cover for a couple of minutes then serve!! I know its not a great explanation but just google Suki yaki and you'll find recipe easily

Second way I use is to use them in Thai food instead of noodle, glass noodle or vermicelli. Try searching "Thai glass noodle salad" or "Yum woonsen" or "Tom yum noodle soup" or just simply make great stock, add lean meat, all sort of veg and then the noodle.

There is a girl who blog loads of pasta recipe with this noodle. I can't seem to find it at the moment but will post it when I do.

I'm relying on the noodle for my dinner to keep me full. Never have problem with bloating or digestion. Definitely not thing compare to when I was having pasta/bread for dinner!!

Anyway, I think you got to love asian dishes to like this noodle and it's quite a funny texture... Anyway, too much of anything is never good so keep it in moderation :D
  • CocoNuttie
    CocoNuttie Posts: 40
    Options
    I've re-heated mine up in some soup at work and it was fine. Still crunchy :)
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love them, I order another brand of the 0 calorie Shirataki noodles from the Asian Grocer (Amazon). I had it today with broccoli and my PB2 satay sauce. Yummy! Pasta is a rare treat, way too many calories, the shirataki noodles are my staple.
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Love these noodles! I made them with veggies as a stir fry and my entire big bowl of stir fry was 160 calories and I was full. They are cheap too. Highly recommend.