Question for the people with perfect abs...

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Photoshop, a makeup artist, perfect lighting and a great photographer. :wink:

I'm not saying there aren't people out there with fantastic abs. Some of my friends have great abs. I'm just saying don't compare yourself to a fitness model.

I have a short torso and wide hips. I'm never going to look like a model. But I'm going to be the best damn Lorina I can be!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't have bgelliott's abs, but I do think that mine are pretty fine. I agree, it's all about that body fat %. I should be at 14% right now (need to get remeasured). I know that if I laid off the wine and ice cream they'd look even better. I don't do anything spectacular, probably spend 25 minutes total a week focusing on them during group classes and that's it. It's mostly diet and a little mix and match (I don't do the same workout each time) and making sure that they're braced during workouts.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Photoshop, a makeup artist, perfect lighting and a great photographer. :wink:

I'm not saying there aren't people out there with fantastic abs. Some of my friends have great abs. I'm just saying don't compare yourself to a fitness model.

I have a short torso and wide hips. I'm never going to look like a model. But I'm going to be the best damn Lorina I can be!

Love this! I have the same build :/ But I do have a very strong stomach, but I doubt it'll ever end up being a "6 pack" or anything remotely like that lol
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Spot toning is a myth. All the crunches, ab machines, gimmicks and whatnot will not give you 6-pack abs.

Proper (nutritional) diet, rest and regular total body activity are the keys to lowering your body fat %age.

That being said...Swimsuit and UNderwear models are well under what is considered "Normal" body fat ranges...and generally are only in that range for a specific photo shoot....not every day.

Spot toning is not a myth. Spot reduction is. Cardio leads to weight loss so expecting weight to come off in one spot versus another is not too likely. Toning is how you build muscle. It happens everyday at the gym with weight lifting, ab exercises, push ups, etc.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I only do abs once/wk for about 25 min. That's it. Abs are created in the kitchen. It's all about what you eat, and how much of it.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Anyone can look like a fitness model, it just takes a lot of work and very clean eating. Just for the record...while i know lots of people photoshop their abs, I'd like everyone to know that my Ab pic has not been touched up in any way. I never in a million years thought I'd have visible abs. I was determined and stayed focused and one day they were there.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I think it makes a difference where you carry your weight too. I have always carried my weight in my *kitten* and thighs, not my belly.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Anyone can look like a fitness model, it just takes a lot of work and very clean eating. Just for the record...while i know lots of people photoshop their abs, I'd like everyone to know that my Ab pic has not been touched up in any way. I never in a million years thought I'd have visible abs. I was determined and stayed focused and one day they were there.

YOU ROCK! Those abs of yours are insane ... something I can only be envious of :)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    my abs are far from perfect, but I have seen a big improvement since cleaning up my diet and increasing weight training and cardio. As others have said, all the crunces in the world won't help if there is a layer of fat covering your abs. You really want to make sure you are paying attention to diet, weight train (heavy) and do cardio. I do my abs probably 3-4 times a week, mostly hanging knee raises, lying leg raises, and the seated ab crunch machine. I do normal crunches and side crunces sometimes, depends how I feel.
    Good luck :)
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    WOW look at all those beautiful abs :)

Thank you everyone, you're all awesome. I didn't expect that many replies! Love it.

I've had a "flat" stomach in the past, but I was looking for a little more definition this time around. The line that comes down the middle between your ribs and the lines that cut down the sides. Nothing too crazy I'm not looking for a 6pack... it looks nice on some girls, but I don't think it'd look right on me. I'm very tall (5'10"), I have huge feet (size11) ... but I'm very girly. Honestly, I'm afraid to have lots of muscel.. I don't want to be bigger than the guys walking around. ;)

So I think that after everything you've all said, I will pay very close attention to my diet first and foremost - then focus on my cardio. I'll still do ab exercises but keep the cardio/abs to an 80/20 ratio.

I'm excited to do this. Thank you everyone. Hopefully in a few months I have some really sexy abs to show off :)
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options

YES! I completely agree with you and that's what I always tell people when they say that I have unrealistic expectations or standards.... or when they just say that magazines are fake. I live on Miami Beach... photoshop is great, but its not something you swim with, I've seen the real deal ;)
  • bgelliott
    Options

YOU ROCK! Those abs of yours are insane ... something I can only be envious of :)

Thank you.....you can have abs in a fairly short time if you don't carry a lot of belly fat.
  • bgelliott
    Options

YES! I completely agree with you and that's what I always tell people when they say that I have unrealistic expectations or standards.... or when they just say that magazines are fake. I live on Miami Beach... photoshop is great, but its not something you swim with, I've seen the real deal ;)

NEVER let anyone tell you that your goals and expectations are unrealistic! Just stick with the clean eating and exercise. Most of the magazine shorts are toughed up quite a bit but that doesn't mean the real thing doesn't exist. I have shots that are touched up too but it's more for things like the occational pimple or crows feet...lol remind me to upload a picture that's been touched up so you can see the difference side by side. Photoshop is magic but people need to realize too that the camera picks up every blemish that the naked eye doesn't. lol Cameras can be evil! lol
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think it makes a difference where you carry your weight too. I have always carried my weight in my *kitten* and thighs, not my belly.

This I think makes a HUGE difference. I have had three kids (I've noticed OP does too, and that makes it harder because the hormones have programmed us to store fat in our stomachs) and have nice abs already but am NOT at my goal weight. This is due to the fact that I don't store my excess weight there, it's all in my thighs. I will never have thin thighs unless I let my upper body get skinnier than I'd like. Some people will never have a flat stomach unless they lose almost all of their over all body fat...
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    What about for those who do carry fat in their stomach? I used to have a 6 pack when I ran 3 miles every day, but I'd really like to focus on strength training right now. I love running, but I'm worried about the "skinny fat" look since so much muscle melted off when I was solely running. Should I still include running in my training in attempt to reduce the fat over my stomach or keep going with the heavy weights and hope that burns enough fat? My stomach isn't huge...when I tighten my core, I can see an outline of my abs.