healthy meals you can't live without

Options
erin3215
erin3215 Posts: 20 Member
I'm trying to increase my options when it comes to eating well (and on a budget). I'm hoping you all can help me!

What is your favorite low calorie meal? Side dishes? Oh, and don't forget to include some yummy yet easy-on-the-waistline desserts, because I have a MAJOR sweet tooth :)

Replies

• foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For desert I've been having Ciao Bella Blood Orange Sorbet lately, I get it when it's on sale. 1/2 cup is only 60 cals and it's made with real fruit!
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Stir fry - I know it's healthy but to me it's total comfort food!! If I'm being lazy or I don't have much time then I use a packet sauce and pre-prepared veg but it's all healthy!
  • Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I can't live without a big mixed salad (the more colourful the better!) with either chicken or prawns/salmon, with my homemade balsamic dressing!

As for dessert.....strawberries are a good healthy pudding and really sweet. As a treat you could crush up some meringue (OK, high in sugar but fat free!).
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I love baked sweet potatoes with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon on them, also I love roasted vegetables, I just cut up potatoes and onion and spray pam on the pan and on the potatoes sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic bake on 375 for about 15 mins then add cut up zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms sprinkle with salt , pepper and garlic and bake another 12-15 mins, YUM

also I like to make zucchini lasagna , I make it like regular lasagna but without meat and use the zucchini instead of noodles it is yummy and less cals and fat.......

I also do turkey burgers on bagel thins (100 cals) YUMMY I hope this helps
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I love egg beaters with leftover veggie in a whole wheat pita. It's about 150 calories or less and so yummy. I like deli select lunch meat and sandwich thins for a quick lunch with a green salad. And I love the Walmart brand icecream sandwiches with no added sugar. About 100 calories. And only 2 dollars a box
  • shamman_iu
    Options
    DESSERT! A friend had been telling me about this and I just tried it and it's amazing! Add a can of diet soda (8 oz) to a box cake mix (nothing else!) and bake as the package indicates. Then put fat free cool whip on top as the icing. SO GOOD! I just made a strawberry cake with Diet 7-UP and a chocolate fudge cake with Coke Zero Cherry. YUM! Lots of variations to try. :smile:
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    DESSERT! A friend had been telling me about this and I just tried it and it's amazing! Add a can of diet soda (8 oz) to a box cake mix (nothing else!) and bake as the package indicates. Then put fat free cool whip on top as the icing. SO GOOD! I just made a strawberry cake with Diet 7-UP and a chocolate fudge cake with Coke Zero Cherry. YUM! Lots of variations to try. :smile:
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options

WOW...that's sounds too good to be true!!!!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    I have been really into Jenny O turkey sausage lately for dinner... There are always leftovers so I use it two nights... One night as the sausage w/ peppers and onions and one night cut into pasta.
  • shamman_iu
    Options
    Sorry, the above recipe for cake with diet soda - it should say 12 oz of diet soda, which is a normal-sized can. Sorry for the confusion!
  • DoubleNs
    DoubleNs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @shamman_iu
    That sounds awesome! I totally have to try it. Thanks for the idea!
  • satousan88
    satousan88 Posts: 29
    Options
    If you have a sweet tooth... I'd suggest trying some of katies recipes! :) very low in calories and sweet!
    Vegan though... but I've tried some of the creams with normal milk and it also turned out fine
    ^^ http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/

Oh and a healthy meal I can't live without... smoked salmon with fresh whole grain spelt bread :)