BMI--- A Good Measuring Tool??

Options
So I looked up what my "ideal" BMI should be. I'm 5'9 so it's 165 lbs. I haven't been that skinny since junior high. At my "adult" smallest, I was 180. I was 19 and had collar bones popping and hips protruding. I was told by some I looked TOO skinny. But my BMI said I was still "overweight." According to that stupid mathematical formula, I will NEVER be what I should be. I have plateaued in my weight loss and am even more frustrated seeing the BMI scale. Any thoughts on it's accuracy or it's overall use for "healthy" living??

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    weird. it works for me. im 5'7" and the lowest I can go is 118 highest is 159
    i think it depends on everything. I have an extremely small frame, but I don't think I could get down to 118 and be healthy. I believe I was overweight before 158, so who knows!!
    not accurate, but it can be used as a guideline by some!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what to think. I'm 5'5" -- my 'normal' weight range is 150-111. I could never weigh 111 but my goal is 130 which is mid-range and definitely doable for me.
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take into account your frame or muscle mass. Many people who are very muscular are considered overweight on the BMI even though their actual body fat % is healthy.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I weigh around 138. There are a few groups for whom the BMI is not a good indicator of health, namely body builders, weight/power lifters, and a many groups of professional athletes.

However, it is a good general indicator of health for most people. Too many people throw the baby out with the bathwater.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take into account your frame or muscle mass. Many people who are very muscular are considered overweight on the BMI even though their actual body fat % is healthy.

The BMI does take different body types into account because of the large range of "healthy".
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    BMI is notoriously problematic (read this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14483512/ns/health-fitness/t/bye-bye-bmi-tape-may-measure-obesity-better/). Just going by the BMI charts, professional athletes are obese! This is because it does not consider frame size, or body composition (% body fat, % lean mass). There is a better way to determine your ideal weight based on desired % bodyfat. Try using this calculator instead: http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm (although it requires that you know at least approximately what your current % body fat is, and what % body fat you'd like to be).