Zumba

Options
Does anyone know how many calories are burned for an hour of Zumba? It seems that MFP doesn't have it in their database yet

Replies

• Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It varies massively depending on size, fitness and class. It seems you can burn anywhere from 350-1100 cals for an hour.

If you don't have an hrm then your best estimate is logging it as dance.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It depends on your age, weight, height, intensity level and duration. I'd aim low and say 200 - 300 calories for every 30 minutes and consider buying a heart rate monitor so you can get an exact number. The MPF calories for a activities are very high.
  • 3Heather24
    3Heather24 Posts: 49
    Options
    I know most people swear by a HRM, however, I bought one & found it to be a waste of money.....it said 150 cal's burned after an HOUR of moderate cardio. I returned it, got my money back, & just use my best guess on my activities now. I've dropped 10+ lbs, so I think cal counters are fairly accurate.

A Zumba calorie counter that factors in time & effort you put into it: http://sites.google.com/site/zumbacaloriesburnt/
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    http://www.zumbacalories.com/

This link should take you to a site that is pretty accurate for an average burn. You put in your weight, workout time, and intensity of workout (it gives you options) It is pretty accurate. Pegged mine pretty close I found out when i got my HRM. My Zumba instructor tried it too and it was pretty close to her HRM total.
  • missvivian
    Options
    I invested in a Polar FT7 HRM so I can see how many calories I'm burning accurately. I love having it... it really helps me and motivates me to work out.

I took the Zumba yesterday and today with two different instructors and got similar calories burned. Yesterday - 439 calories in 53 minutes (average heart rate 143) and today - 455 calories in 58 minutes (average heart rate 142). I'm 37, 5"2, and 139 pounds.

Hopefully this will help a little.