i cant seem to get this down right....

Options
everytime i think i have cut everything unhealthy out of my diet i find out there is something else i shouldnt eat. someone please give me a list of healthy foods that arent prosessed. i cant seem to figure out whats processed and whats not

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If it comes in a box or a bag, it's (probably) processed. If it doesn't, it's not. Or, if it can go bad, it's good for you, but if it can't go bad, it's bad for you. That's the easiest way to think about it. :)
  • mnsmith83
    mnsmith83 Posts: 128
    Options
    If it comes in a box (think mac and cheese, boxed dinners, etc) it's processed. If you look at the ingredients and can't pronounce/don't recognize them all, processed (Lunch meat, hot dogs, etc.) Eating healthy and/or clean is hard. You make a lot of food from scratch. No frozen dinners, no frozen pizza, no breaded chicken/fish. But it's SO much better for you and you will feel good knowing exactly what is going into your body!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    If it has an expiration date that last for more than a year, like cakes and chips, don't buy it.
    I usually bake my own ham and turkey so that I know i am not getting processed meat.
    If it is perishable it is good for you, if it is nonperishable, it isn't. Keep thinking of it that way.

You can eat anything you want, but just keep track of it. You will figure out in the days ahead, what is worth sacraficing you calories for and what isn't.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I try to eat mostly fruit, veggies, yogurt, beans, whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal), nuts, EVOO, vinegar, eggs, air popped popcorn and tempeah (I don't eat meat).

The processed foods I eat include Kashi Go Lean Crunch and sandwhich thins. Once in a while I'll eat a LARA bar.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    did it grow on a tree or in the ground?? Is it just meat or chicken and not covered with crumbs or sauce?? Would your grandmother recognise it?? If packages how many ingredients in it...??

Hope you continue to eat well

:flowerforyou:
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Someone emailed me this and I love it.............

Over time I think you will find it easier to be getting fuller with less calories.
    You might need to get an easy-to-carry calorie book like Calorie King to carry with you for a month or so, or if you have a smart phone, an app that allows you to look up calories for everything you buy or eat.
    Planning is essential, whether you are going to the supermarket, a restaurant, or a party.

If I understand your diary correctly there are a lot of opportunities to change things up.
    Here are some idears...

Switch from high-calorie bread to bread with 40 or so calories/slice -- there are many ----brands.
    Switch to low-calorie hot dog and hamburger buns.
    Switch to lean beef (93+ lean) for all beef meal preps.
    Find turkey substitutes for hot dogs, sausage, hamburger patties, etc.
    Switch from 2 % milk to fat-free milk, or 40-calorie/cup soymilk or almondmilk. ---
    Switch from full-fat cheese to low-fat or no-fat cheese
    Switch from regular mayo to light mayo
    Switch from 240-calorie cereal to 120-calorie cereal
    Eat less starches (pastas, rice, potatoes, breads) and more fibers (green vegetables, etc)
    Fill up on water.
    Fill up on lower-calorie snacks. Find something with less than 80 calories that will fill you up. I eat apples and grapes a lot.
    Fill up with low-calorie soups.
    Fill up with low-calorie protein -- and make sure your breakfast has protein.

There are a ton of vegetables-in-a-bag ( for microwave steaming) that you can buy these days that will give you lots to eat with little calories.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    one ingredient: i.e. apple, egg, oil, almond, chicken, milk, etc.
  • Xlyinia
    Xlyinia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Follow the rule of shopping around the edges. Notice that in a grocery store all the fresh stuff is on the edges, you only get in real trouble when you venture into the processed middle! produce section is mostly safe (no dressing or premade stuff, just fresh), meat section (same deal, fresh only) and dairy too. I avoid breads and the bakery, but otherwise, edgewise shopping works for me!!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    if you don't recogonize whats in it it is processed. You mostly have to think about where it came from, if you can grow it or farm it is good for you. You do have to be careful around things like yogurt, alot of them have all sorts of nasty stuff in them, it is best to pick something without flavorings and extra stuff, real yogurt is made with about 5 things.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    If it comes in a box or a bag, it's (probably) processed. If it doesn't, it's not. Or, if it can go bad, it's good for you, but if it can't go bad, it's bad for you. That's the easiest way to think about it. :)

Took me a second to get that right, but healthy=FRESH, maybe frozen, but not canned fruits, veggies, fresh cut meats. Breads all go through a "process" which is why it is called processed I suppose, but best avoid high fructose corn syrup in them. I'll still eat bars w/ this in it but not my bread. Water is good, and a lot of it. Nuts of all kinds, natural, not the ones glazed, candied, salted, basically a lot of stuff added. Even packaged fruits have some kind of chemical added to keep it from going bad.

Best bet, learn how to cook everything that you want to eat otherwise, most people, especially me, is subject to having a diet, although semi-healthy, having a lot of processed foods.
  • stylelush646
    stylelush646 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i agree if u cant pronounce the ingredients dont even buy it. now if u must buy canned goods for whatever reasons, what i do and i think it helps, i wash (for ex. red beans) with water. i wash it for a few minutes to dilute or wash aways whatever oil it was sitting in. because for me its easier to get the canned stuff then the bagged beans because my schedule is pretty much all over the place. hope that answers ur question. :)
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Bump:smile: