Tabata Training (HIIT)

Options
I have been attempting a form of High Intensity Interval Training called 'Tabata Training'.

- Sprint for 20 seconds
- Walk for 10 seconds
- Repeat 7 more times over 4 mins

HOW MANY CALORIES DOES IT BURN?
I have repeated this circuit 4 times during the day (2x 8 min intervals)
I would like to know if anyone else is doing tabata training or any other type of HIIT, and if it really works for fat loss!

Replies

• BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have been attempting a form of High Intensity Interval Training called 'Tabata Training'.

- Sprint for 20 seconds
    - Walk for 10 seconds
    - Repeat 7 more times over 4 mins

I have repeated this circuit 4 times during the day (2x 8 min intervals)
    I would like to know if anyone else is doing tabata training or any other type of HIIT, and if it really works for fat loss!

I have been doing a run/jog for 1 min and then a sprint for 30 seconds and also a run/jog for 1.5 min and sprint for 1 min I ususally do this for 20-30 minutes!! It has helped me lose more and burn more during a workout! I typically burn 2x more than I would if I just ran...I also do a workout where you constantly up your speed for 4 mintues and then go back down and start again which is a 25 mintue workout!! All are awesome hope this helps!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Yes---works great!
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of doing it now. I'm interested in maintaining my weight so I've heard this is a better way to do cardio while maintaining muscle (and saving time). Too soon to tell if its working for me I think. I generally do 30second sprint, 45-60second walk/ about 8 or 9 intervals, but I'm only doing this once or twice a week. I've also done some weirder stuff where I'll bring a dumbell out where I'm running and sprint for 150 or so meters, then do some dumbell thrusts, rest, sprint back and do 30 seconds burpees/pushups/jumpsquats or whatever, and repeat.
  • NatStylz
    NatStylz Posts: 38
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Keep doing it though! Im just not sure if 16 mins of intensity training (with low intensity cardio too) will benefit me in losing fat :frown:
  • cheddarboy
    Options
    If you are really sprinting for your 30s of push, you will feel it more than if you jogged for 3x the amount of time. I think it will work for fat loss.
  • NatStylz
    Options
    Thanks for your help!
  • NatStylz
    Options
    How many calories do you burn??
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Has anything tried this on a stationary bike? If yes, do you adjust the resistance at all or do you just sprint and slow down on the same resistance? Just curious :) Thanks in advance!
  • cheddarboy
    Options
    Yep ive done it on a stationary bike. Mine doesn't have great resistance, but focus on your heartrate rather than anything else. If you can wear a heartrate monitor w strap, then on your sprints try to get to around 85%, then when you slow down keep it around 65%.
  • cheddarboy
    Options
    How many calories do you burn??

Not sure, the value of HIIT training is supposed to be in EPOC. Excessive post-exercise oxygen consumption. So while you are spending less time and calories doing the exercise, you body is burning more calories in the next day or so. I'm not an expert on the subject though, thats just what I've read..
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yep ive done it on a stationary bike. Mine doesn't have great resistance, but focus on your heartrate rather than anything else. If you can wear a heartrate monitor w strap, then on your sprints try to get to around 85%, then when you slow down keep it around 65%.

Thanks for the input Cheddarboy! I do have an HRM w/strap so I'll be sure to focus on my heart rate more when I do the workout. Thank you!
  • TheRealDeniseSheets
    TheRealDeniseSheets Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! My husband and I do Tabata all the time!! I am currently on a Tabata circuit training kick. Take any exercise and you can make it into a Tabata workout!

For example:
    Sandbag squat to a press (you can do this with dumbbells as well)
    Hold Sandbag in crook of arms, hands on handles
    Squat down and as standing up from squat press sandbag overhead
    Keep going for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds and repeat
    Continue to do this for all 8 intervals

I have a TON of these type of things! Some use the sandbag some use dumbbells, some use kettlebells, some just use bodyweight. Lots are upper and lower body combo exercises like above, but some are just more cardio based... sometimes I put 2 exercises together and Tabata that....

If you have an Android phone there is a really awesome Tabata timer that is free in the app store (there are lots, actually, but I really like "A HIIT Timer". Or, just purchase a Gymboss Timer (Google Gymboss).

Denise
  • cheddarboy
    Options
    Totally agree with the above, i generally use dumbells....

This is a great article on the benefits of interval training vs steady state cardio. Look at the difference in the way this girl looks from doing marathons to doing interval training!

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm
  • callynt
    callynt Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for posting this link. I recently gained back wait AFTER increasing my cardio and reducing my 20 to 30 minute circuit training workouts...only to see my muscle definition begin to disappear and my flabby tummy get flabbier. Picked up Amy Dixon's Breathless Body tabata workout and I am convinced intervals are the way to go!
  • mfpdcg
    mfpdcg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here's a good overview of HIIT (Tabata is a form of HIIT). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

Pros:
    * quick workout
    * raises metabolism/calorie burning level for the next 12-24 hours
    * method works for whatever kind of exercise you like

Cons:
    * even though it's quick you still would want to do a bit of warmup to start, and don't forget you'll be out of commission for several minutes when you're through (heart rate will be through the roof)---not really a con, but just a warning to budget enough time
    * timer is needed for it to be effective (timing is key). good sound/color-based apps out for smart phone users, otherwise you'd have to keep an eye on a watch or timer while you're working.

My typical session is 2 rounds (8 total minutes work with maybe a minute break in between---with warmup and cool down, probably 20 minutes) of jump ropes and air squats or burpees if I'm feeling strong.
  • Teach4Hisglory
    Teach4Hisglory Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about Tabata, and just downloaded a good timer app. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to calculate the calories burned during a workout (or a good method of calculating calories burned). I was surprised that there wasn't any type of HIIT listed in the database.
  • emdiaz67
    emdiaz67 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just started this type of training and honestly don't think I will continue with it. It had me very winded and I could feel that it was working my muscles but I found it boring. I love kickboxingmore. I too am interested in the fat burning programs. Good luck!!!:flowerforyou: