PASTA QUESTION

So, I'm always conflicted when I have pasta and want to log it in. Serving sizes on the box & in the datebase are set to a "cup" (give or take) of DRY pasta. But the problem I have is I don't just measure one dry cup of pasta & cook it. I usually cook the whole package, because I am cooking for my family. And I realize that a cup of cooked pasta & a cup of dry pasta are not the same. So advice please:

1.) How much prepared pasta is an appropriate serving size?
2.) How do I figure out the calories to such serving?

PS: I try by best to eat a multi-grain pasta, and yes I realize what ever "sauce" I top it with adds additional calories.

Thanks in advance for helping me figure this stuff out! :-)

Replies

• lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    What I do is count the number of people I'm cooking for and if the serving suggestion is 1 cup per person of dry pasta for example, then I simply pour out the pasta into a cup measure for each person I'm cooking for en route to the pan. Then if each person eats roughly the same, you know you've had a cup each. If that makes sense?
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    1 serving of pasta is 1 cup cooked, not dry. for a quick reference a serving size of a complex carbohydrate is what can fit in the palm of your hand or half a tennis ball. My fav "serving size" (sarcasm) is when it says a serving size is approx 1/8th of a box. ummm yeah im not measuring the whole box then dividing by 8 to see what that works out to. manufacturers are very very good at obfuscating serving sizes to make it look like their products are either lower in calories or better for you than they really are.

so here's a quick ref to serving sizes. fibrous carbs aka veggies, the size of your fist. complex carbs, your cupped palm or half a tennis ball. protein, a deck of cards or the palm of your hand. (stretch out your hand and fold in your fingers). and these are for cooked foods.
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    As far as I know a serving of pasta is 1 cup cooked. I think it's about 2oz dry or so.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Usually, if you're going by a specific brand, there's an entry for the entire package. So if I cook a whole package, and split it 4 ways, I'll use .25 of the package as my serving. (Yes, I eat a substantial amount of pasta. And I love it!)
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    i have wondered this many a time. I use a scale but i am guessing they do not weigh the same as well. I might have to do an experiement and see how they compare useing a single cup.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 929 Member
    I've ended up looking at the total ounces made, and then dividing it out. So if you make the whole 1lb boz, that's 16 ounces. Then after it's cooked I figure out how many even servings it made, and how many I had. So if 4 of us ate 1/2 a 1lb box, then we each had 2 ounces, give or take. It's not totally accurate, but it's a ballpark.
  • cmduncan
    cmduncan Posts: 69
    What I do is count the number of people I'm cooking for and if the serving suggestion is 1 cup per person of dry pasta for example, then I simply pour out the pasta into a cup measure for each person I'm cooking for en route to the pan. Then if each person eats roughly the same, you know you've had a cup each. If that makes sense?

I do this too. For example - I cook for me and my husband. So If I make some pasta and break it into 4 servings (one for each of us for dinner, and lunch the next day) then I count .25 servings of the whole package (use the drop down for serving sizes.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    I measure 2 oz cooked with a food scale and log 2 oz. option for MFP of whatever I am eating.
  • MoMoves
    MoMoves Posts: 36
    Awesome - I've been trying to keep my cooked portion at a cup! But knowing that's 2oz dry is super helpful!

If I am logging in a whole recipe, I will just do the whole package & divide thing, but sometimes I just keep it simple and say I had some penne with sauce!

Thanks to everyone for helping me sort this out! MFP is the best! :smile: