Newbie Vegitarian

Options
:bigsmile:
Hello MFP friends.. I have been using MFP for a few months now- not as regularly as I'd like to, but I'm trying.
Anyways I have never been much of a meat lover- I could never have any "pink" always *well-done* burnt! lol

So I recently decided to become a vegetarian , SO far I have gone 8 days without eating meat. I feel good, haven't wanted meat and the best part is I've lost ruffly 5lbs in 8 days!! Yayy!!

So my question is Can you loose weight becoming a vegetarian?!

I mean I do work out, and have been eating healthier but I want this to give me the BIG push I need!! Any suggestions, websites, comments please would really help me out- also to me other Veg's like myself!

Thanks <3
Jenn

Replies

• JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian (no meat but still consuming eggs/dairy/fish) and I've lost 76lbs.
  • Xlyinia
    Xlyinia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am also a recent vegetarian and found that I lose weight a LOT faster when I don't eat meat. I think it mostly has to do with eating fewer calories, but getting more nutrition out of those calories! make sure to keep up your protein intake with other surces, but otherwise, chow down on the veggies! You'll feel full and happy and being losing like crazy!

3112178.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

If you want some inspiration for vegetarian meals that are easy and delicious, I recommend checking out: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/vegbootcamp

They have posted 28 days of Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners and Snacks. Each meal is about 400 calories and each snack is about 200 calories. They all have a good amount of protein as well. You can add more salads and steamed veggies and reduce portion size if you need to adjust to your net calorie goals.

Good Luck!
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I was thinking about becoming a Vegetarian but I do like seafood and find it fulfilling. However I'm not always down with beef and pork and have substantially reduced the amount of meats. Id say I am a vegetarian maybe 2-4 days out of the week. I too enjoy no pink meat only well done if I do.
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, lacto ovo,(i have eggs and milk) and i am obese. Please do it slowly, if you do decide to become a vegetarian. Make sure you replace your protein and often our protein is also a carb. I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years. People would often say to me what do you eat as if there was nothing to eat, and i would say to them look at me I obviuosly find plenty. Like anything it should all be in moderation. (Fried chips are vegetarian and so is chocolate). Do not become a vegetarian if you think its a weight loss solution. It isn't. But then some people say they are vegetarian but still eat chicken and seafood. I do not class this as vegetarian.
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Take a look at veggieboards.com. Lots of info and veg heads just like us :)
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I love meat!!!! But am considering no more red meat or pork for just this reason. I want to be healthy and make better choices but I think I can get what I need from poultry and seafood's. Thanks for the post I will be looking into more info on the change. Good luck with going veggie I could never do it more power to you :)
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    In 7 years of veganism I was close to being the fattest I'd ever been. So CAN you lose weight by cutting out animal products? Sure. Will you lose weight by default from cutting them out? Definitely not.

If you have specific macronutrient ratios you want to achieve, it will take significantly more juggling to get exactly where you want to be, but it's doable. <3
  • dwyadygwyad
    dwyadygwyad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just watch the carbs!!

And eat lots of plants!
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight being vegetarian, but just like someone else said, it won't happen by default. There are plenty of food out there that are vegetarian and still not good for you. Cheese, chocolate, ice cream, sugar, fried foods...vegetarian, but they'll make you fat if you don't watch out. Take it from me, I've been vegetarian for a year and gained 50 lbs in that time.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 6 years.

At the start when you make the change, you will lose a lot of weight very quickly. But that stops after a while and if you're not careful, you end up gaining weight still.

Having said that, if you stick to eating healthily and eating lots of fresh vegetable meals - instead of veggie equivalents of fattening food! - you should still lose weight. :)