Does running really burn the most calories?

Options
Hi Everyone,

Lately I have been reading all the benefits of running and how it burns more calories than elliptical etc, so I decided to incorporate it in my workout. Sure enough when I run I am sweating like crazy and feel as though I'm working my whole body, but when I run for let's say 30 mins at 4.5mph it says I have only burned approx 225 calories. When on the elliptical for the same amount of time it says I've burned 300 calories and I don't feel like I'm exerting as much energy. Now I understand that these machines aren't exactly accurate, but I'm just wondering if running actually does burn more calories?

I've also read how running 3-4 times per week can help you lose a significant amount of weight (obviously along with following the proper diet). If anyone can speak to this point or have any success stories I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you're comparing it to ellipticals, it depends on the resistance level and whatnot.

That said, I have a HRM and I tend to burn more calories by running than on an elliptical (on a resistance level that I can sustain), BUT I don't run much at all because it stresses out my bad knee. The elliptical is kinder on my knees.

The bottom line is, they're both great exercises. Do whichever you prefer; just make sure you're really pushing yourself. If you get too comfortable, up the resistance level, increase speed, increase the incline, etc.
  • pauleshankles
    Options
    I have heard experts say that the LONGER you are involved in an exercise, the more calories you burn. Of course, you can walk longer than you can run so, all that I have read tends to point towards doing 45 minutes of walking as oppose to 20 minutes of running. Hope this helps...
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Depending on what type of ellipitcal - theres ones, which we call cross trainers, that you can move the arms and others where it's stationary, you can move your arms on you.

But I agree with the above poster who said about it being at an incline/resistance you can handle. While a steady jog is good, doing it with some "sprint/run" intervals is even better.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I loose weight and all I do is run. When I ran before I lost 10 pounds but was not on a strict diet so it took a little longer. I am however looking into strength training to tone up but running will get you going for sure. Maybe pick up the pace a bit as you go. Try c25k that's what I am doing you can find it online very easy :)

Not sure about the calories. People may suggest a heart rate monitor. I do not use one but I hear they give you the most accurate reading of what calories are burned.
    Hope you get the info you need good luck!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    running is harder for you because you are not used to it. You are used to the elliptical. You are using different muscles and it's a higher impact-- that is why you are sweating like crazy. You may not be burning a lot of calories because you are running at a very slow speed 4.5. It all really depends on your heart rate-- if your heart rate is up high while working out, then you are burning more calories.

My advice to you. When you are done running IMMEDIATELY slow to a walk then place hands on sensors.. remember this number. This is a rough estimate of what the heart rate was during the majority of your work out.. then use this website...

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • aprilmssmith
    aprilmssmith Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would say that running on a treadmill might not burn as many calories as an elliptical. I know when I run on a treadmill I can run WAY longer than when I run outside. I do pour sweat, but there is not as much resistance,
  • barbiex3
    Options
    I would say that running on a treadmill might not burn as many calories as an elliptical. I know when I run on a treadmill I can run WAY longer than when I run outside. I do pour sweat, but there is not as much resistance,

very true. I took 10 days off from going to the gym, and I ran outside everyday, then I went to the gym, and the tredmill was SOOO easy lol i didn't even sweat for like 15 min ! crazy
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    May I suggest using a HRM. The machines are usually off, and with the monitor you can enter your stats and it can keep track oof your heart rate/ calories burned. My last run was 7 miles and the treadmill said over 1000 cals burned, my trusty HRM came back with over 700.
    You can find some nice ones pretty cheap on amazon.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    whatever gets your heart pounding harder for longer will burn the most calories. Running forces you to have both feet off the ground simultaneously, which requires more effort = yielding higher burns.... and yes, intensity over time is the main factor.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Running is not the most calories you can burn from any activity but it can burn a LOT. Much more than most common cardio exercises.
  • tinkytootie
    tinkytootie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    running is harder for you because you are not used to it. You are used to the elliptical. You are using different muscles and it's a higher impact-- that is why you are sweating like crazy. You may not be burning a lot of calories because you are running at a very slow speed 4.5. It all really depends on your heart rate-- if your heart rate is up high while working out, then you are burning more calories.

My advice to you. When you are done running IMMEDIATELY slow to a walk then place hands on sensors.. remember this number. This is a rough estimate of what the heart rate was during the majority of your work out.. then use this website...

Thank you for the website. When I run, I put it on a 1% incline (i was told that is close to what it would be like running outside). Although I know that isn't true because when I run outside I get tired very fast. I usually put my hands on the sensors and it says between 160-165 for my heart rate. I new to this whole running thing, so I found a running program on women's health's website to help me build my endurance and hopefully run at a faster speed.
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    When I do the treadmill, I burn more calories in the same amount of time as when I'm on the elliptical. I use an HRM and do interval sprints on the treadmill. Sometimes, I feel that the momentum of the elliptical machine does some of the work for me, whereas when I run, it's all me. :)
  • KJackson50
    KJackson50 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good advice, it does make sense that walking long periods would burn as much as half the running. Me and my dad walk 45 minutes every other day.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    The higher your heart rate, the more calories you burn in a given amount of time.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    IMO I don't think it does... but I'm not a fan of running.
    Kickboxing (intense cardio) burns the most calories to me.
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I sweat way more running than when I use the elliptical. They are both good. I like to do both to change it up.
  • barbiex3
    Options

Thank you for the website. When I run, I put it on a 1% incline (i was told that is close to what it would be like running outside). Although I know that isn't true because when I run outside I get tired very fast. I usually put my hands on the sensors and it says between 160-165 for my heart rate. I new to this whole running thing, so I found a running program on women's health's website to help me build my endurance and hopefully run at a faster speed.

ya! you're welcome. inclines are really good for running, but that is an awesome heart rate-- right where you wanna be! could even go a little higher :P but you should be able to see the calories you burned now!! :D yay!
  • turnerjh
    turnerjh Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm a runner and have been for a long time but consistently for the last 3 years. Most of what I have read indicates you can figure on burning at least 100 calories per mile no matter your speed when running. I have found with my HRM that I usually burn 110-125/mile. So, I guess if you are using the treadmill/elliptical for a set amount of time versus a "distance" might explain the discrepancy. I always run outside unless the sidewalks are covered in ice...running on the treadmill is akin to torture for me! I love running and am always trying to convert others...hope you find you love it as much as I do:smile:
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    no--it does not burn the most calories....depends on your speed and exertion. I can get a higher burn doing more intense interval workouts.
  • barbiex3
    Options
    no--it does not burn the most calories....depends on your speed and exertion. I can get a higher burn doing more intense interval workouts.

it really depends on the intensity of the exercise, and how high your heart rate is getting, so not always is running what burns the most calories. but it generally burns a lot