Not feeling Bad

Options
Ok....So here it is. I know I need to lose weight and More importantly I want to lose it. However, I love the holidays and part of that love is for the food. Cookies, meals, Pies that are only made once a year. I can not NOT eat it. So, I have come to the conclusion that I will backslide and gain back the 3 pounds I have lost but I will not go over what i started at. I am not going to let calorie counting come between me and good piece of food during the holidays. any other time of the year, fine i will keep under if i have to, but from October through Jan 1, I will be eating to me hearts content. I will keep up on my exercising but I am going to enjoy the holidays.

I urge anyone who feels bad about gaining some weight this time of the year to not be down but enjoy it while you can. Keep yourself motivated by exercising, but feel free to enjoy the roast turkey, christmas cookies and halloween candy.

Replies

• samster85
    Options
    Ok....So here it is. I know I need to lose weight and More importantly I want to lose it. However, I love the holidays and part of that love is for the food. Cookies, meals, Pies that are only made once a year. I can not NOT eat it. So, I have come to the conclusion that I will backslide and gain back the 3 pounds I have lost but I will not go over what i started at. I am not going to let calorie counting come between me and good piece of food during the holidays. any other time of the year, fine i will keep under if i have to, but from October through Jan 1, I will be eating to me hearts content. I will keep up on my exercising but I am going to enjoy the holidays.

I urge anyone who feels bad about gaining some weight this time of the year to not be down but enjoy it while you can. Keep yourself motivated by exercising, but feel free to enjoy the roast turkey, christmas cookies and halloween candy.
  • majic
    majic Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your plan!
  • samster85
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Eat all those favorite holiday foods... just in moderation. A small slice of cake instead of a quarter cake sized slice; two cookies instead of fourteern. :wink: Moderation is what I've learned, because I do NOT do well with food denial!
  • Mahlia
    Mahlia Posts: 190
    Options
    That's a good plan. :flowerforyou: good luck, and I might try it too!
  • samster85
    Options
    Lauryn- You are right, I have always tried my best to eat in moderation. If I want to try two different pies i take a tiny sliver of a piece instead of two regular size ones. That is important. And Yes, Food denial is something I do not handle well either. :smile:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Careful with that . . . I've found that when i 'free' myself from my diet restrictions I tend to go a little crazy with it and I destroy (complete with sound effects) all the progress I've made, and it takes me about five to ten times longer to move forward than it did to slide back . . . so a month's worth of bad eating takes at least three to six months to fix. (Yeah that's right, I'm still working on the poundage from August). I would say stick to the diet on weekdays or non-holiday days and allow yourself the weekends and holidays to splurge . . . in moderation.

Don't go crazy! No, seriously, I don't want to have to visit my best friend in a mental hospital somewhere. It would be really embarrassing if you went to Pine Rest! :flowerforyou: Don't worry you'll be fine.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I tried this one year- I weighed 159lbs and told myself around Nov 1st that I wasn't going to care and eat whatever I wanted to until Jan 1. My twins b-day is Jan 27, so I thought after that, then I 'll wait until after Valentine's day. So after all of those holidays, I stepped on the scales around Feb 20 and I weighed 176lbs! I've been fighting it ever since. I got up to 198 this past summer and I have crept back down to 189, but I will NEVER let myself do that again. I lost all my will-power, not to mention my clothes didn't fit! I felt miserable. That was the worst eating choice I ever made! Now, that's just me! I admire anyone who can slack off and pick up where they left off, but I know myself and I know how my mind works:wink: I'm not saying I won't eat the pies, the home-made goodies and all of that, but only on one day this time! Not the entire half year:happy: But again, I'm only speaking for myself!!
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat what you enjoy, but wait awhile in between selections, you might find yourself uncomfortably full, and that can be a nice surprise!

And do some extra exercises too, extra walks up and down the stairs to put laundry away, calf raises while you brush your teeth, leg lifts or even walking quickly around while you're on the phone, all these little things add up big time!

And, for the holiday party days, eat extra light until you get to the party, you'll have more calories to spare. Don't use the party as an excuse to eat bad all day, or the next.

Good luck!

Angie
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Careful with that . . . I've found that when i 'free' myself from my diet restrictions I tend to go a little crazy with it and I destroy (complete with sound effects) all the progress I've made, and it takes me about five to ten times longer to move forward than it did to slide back . . .

I read this and imagined the Death Star blowing up, complete with sound effects!
    :bigsmile:
  • samster85
    Options
    Yes, I understand. I didn't really say that i was going to kick it completely. I am not going to obsess (sp) about it quite as much and i am not going to FEEL BAD about it. That was the whole point. Not to feel too bad about it.

Sorry if I sound grumpy but my personal life is not having a very up day, or week. Have a Happy Halloween!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I am with you on that! Halloween, Thanksgiving, and both of my Christmases, I eat what I want! It's a few days out of a YEAR that I may eat in excess. Other than that, I have a little treat every week or two, and I keep doing what I'm doing if it's working. There's nothing wrong with taking some time off...you have years to change your body, and to deprive yourself to jam all of your weight loss into the shortest time off is no help in the long run.
  • friesianlady
    Options
    ok I am new at this site. Looks like a great one. Let me introduce myself! I am 56-retired and living/loving every minute of it. This is going to be my year to get in better shape than I have ever been! I have 20 pounds to lose, but it may as well be 200 for as long as it is taking me. I have been up and down for years! I'll be checking in on a regular basis. Hello everyone!

104254.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP
    ok I am new at this site. Looks like a great one. Let me introduce myself! I am 56-retired and living/loving every minute of it. This is going to be my year to get in better shape than I have ever been! I have 20 pounds to lose, but it may as well be 200 for as long as it is taking me. I have been up and down for years! I'll be checking in on a regular basis. Hello everyone!

104254.png
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options

104254.png

Hola and welcome
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I agree with "moderation" is the key to success during the holidays. In my household, I do all the cooking for all the holidays and that entails traditional Puerto Rican dishes along with the traditional American dishes. DOUBLE DOSE OF FOOD & DRINK :drinker: :bigsmile: :sad: . DESERT time is :explode: :explode: :explode: you get the picture.

I have found that if I plan ahead what I want to eat I don't go overboard with either. I also make sure everyone that come's over TAKES FOOD HOME. No leftovers means NO TEMPTATION :grumble: and that is something I have always done. It helps me from overeating and driking too much :huh: :indifferent: . I have to admit it doesn't always work :embarassed: but I do try.

Oh yeah don't forget a treadmill, stationary bike, gym, stepper, etc. are your best friend during the holidays. :laugh: