People don't really eat like that...

Options
So, I've been looking around at people's open food diaries, particularly people who have posted in the "Success" threads and seen great progress. Most of the diaries I've looked at are pretty empty...a lot of chicken (yuck) and vitamins, a few protein shakes and egg whites (yuck). I'm not knocking anyone because I'm certainly not seeing the success that others are, but I have to ask: Who eats like that in real life? And, can you really expect to maintain the weight loss if you lose it by eating only 3 oz of chicken and some baby carrots every day?

Any OTHER suggestions for success, or am I just wishful thinking? :ohwell:

Replies

• Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    LOL you should take a look at mine! Ive lost 45 pounds and I eat whatever I want for the most part, im in a weight loss competition which ends tomorrow, so after tomorrow im adding in a few things ive missed the past 7 months (i did two 12 week comps.)

EDIT: I work out a lot, did tons of cardio, and now tons of both cardio and strength training. but i used to only eat 1200 cals, 3 weeks ago i had to bump it up to 1400 because all the stuff i was doing!
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't eat like that. I think my diary is open.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ha, you should take a look at my diary. Yes, I try to eat healthy and eat a heck of a lot better than I used to but, to me, no food is really off limits.
  • rocky282
    rocky282 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I havent lost a lot of weight yet, but I did just start. And NOOO most days I don't eat like that, heck I even had spaghetti and Pizza today. In moderation of course and My list is open to friends, you are welcome to become one :)
  • serabee5
    serabee5 Posts: 89
    Options
    LOL you should take a look at mine! Ive lost 45 pounds and I eat whatever I want for the most part, im in a weight loss competition which ends tomorrow, so after tomorrow im adding in a few things ive missed the past 7 months (i did two 12 week comps.)

EDIT: I work out a lot, did tons of cardio, and now tons of both cardio and strength training. but i used to only eat 1200 cals, 3 weeks ago i had to bump it up to 1400 because all the stuff i was doing!

ditto
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i eat like that and i eat way more than 3 oz of chicken and baby carrots. in fact, i dont eat carrots cause of the high sugar content. i don't eat enough veggies, granted, cause i don't like them. but i eat good and i feel great.
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I totally agree with you. But they are brave for showing it.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    3 oz. of chicken and a cup of carrots? No probably not. A large plate of chicken and veggies? Yes, that is maintainable. I eat egg whites, I eat fruit, I eat vegetables, and I eat lean meats. How is that not maintainable?
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Lol I used to see that all the time when I was a member of bodybuilding.com . It was unrealistic and intimidating. I just try to plan things accordingly. I dont got out to eat, and when I do, I look up the nutrition facts before we go so I'm making an informed decision. I exercise frequently too. I eat dessert almost every night :)

If the scale isnt going where you think it is, I wrote an article on this today... www.all-fit.happy.blogspot.com
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat what I want, however I have incorporated a lot of healthy foods in my diet. For one I eat breakfast! Lol I didn't do that before, so come lunch time and I'd eat the table if it was edible. I <3 baby carrots, I don't eat them as much as I'd like because I have 2 crowns on the back of my teeth that I'm afraid of popping out (I also avoid all things chewy). I would love to eat more veggies, I do when I eat out in restaurants, at home not really because I find the food spoils so quickly---especially since I'm the only in my home who will eat it. Also when I go to a sandwich shop I take out cheese and tell them to load all the veggies the sandwich can possible hold.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I don't keep my diary open to the public unless you are an MFP friend, but I am just ounces from my goal and I don't eat like that. I like real food too much to waste the calories on shakes, vitamins and supplements. :)
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Maybe not everyone is honset in their diary? I know that I try to put everything, good and bad in mine. Some days I am over and some days I am under. I think it is all about moderatioin and making a permanent change in your life to be healthy. My diary is open, so please feel free!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Take a look at mine. The trick is to eat a healthy amount if chicken/pasta/beef whatever, and fill up with other things as well. I used to never be able to eat just a 2 oz serving of pasta, it was like nothing. Now I throw in double the amount of veggies to literally fill up my plate and I'm full. It takes a while to get used to it, but your body doesnt really need more than 3 or so ounces....you are just used to eating way more than that. It's become the american way....supersize it!
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Maybe not everyone is honset in their diary? I know that I try to put everything, good and bad in mine. Some days I am over and some days I am under. I think it is all about moderatioin and making a permanent change in your life to be healthy. My diary is open, so please feel free!
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love chicken and veggies! I was eating them before I was trying to lose weight just in much larger portions and lots of sauces. I think its the MOST sustainable way to lose it and keep it off actually. If all you eat is 1200 calories in junk you will be hungry and miserable all the time and then you crave junk all the time. I don't eat crazy healthy, as in I eat the whole damn egg not just the whites. But I think I eat well and it's very sustainable for me.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    and I eat whole real food, not shakes, vitamins, supplements, etc.....and I've lost almost 25 lbs since january!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I love chicken and veggies! I was eating them before I was trying to lose weight just in much larger portions and lots of sauces. I think its the MOST sustainable way to lose it and keep it off actually. If all you eat is 1200 calories in junk you will be hungry and miserable all the time and then you crave junk all the time. I don't eat crazy healthy, as in I eat the whole damn egg not just the whites. But I think I eat well and it's very sustainable for me.

I know it's off topic, but there's nothing unhealthy about eggs. That's an old myth.
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    I eat normally, but I now do it in smaller amounts and with more healthy stuff involved. I plan to keep adding more healthy stuff to my diet, but at the same time I still want to be able to plan to have pizza when I want it :) I want to be healthy, but at the same time, I want to be able to enjoy some of the stuff that I truely love or I'll never make it in this journey :) So here's to eating healthier, but still enjoying the stuff you love :)
  • hfva
    hfva Posts: 2
    Options
    I try to exercise like crazy so I can eat more!