Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Daily protein amount allowed

Does anyone else go over your daily protein amount allowed? I seem to go over daily, and not sure if this is good or bad.

Replies

• DanaLynnMN
    DanaLynnMN Posts: 192 Member
    same here....interested in reading feedback!
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    the default ratios are out of wack, you can change them in the food-settings
  • I do and it is because I was told by my Doctor that women should eat at least 60 grams of protein a day. So that it is what I have been focusing on.
  • yes... I do go over on mine almost daily, but I'm still losin weight... As long as you watch closely on everything else, you should be fine
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    that is a very good thing. do not change.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    I always go over, but stay under in fat. I am losing, so I don't think too hard about it.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom

You can change it. I use the 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat ratio.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    I do occasionally as well but I have heard its ok to go over in protein and fiber.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    The protein goals MFP sets are generally pretty low and going a little or even just a lot over isn't going to hurt you any.
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    the general recommendation is 0.8grams per kilogram of body weight to 1.8g per kilogram of body weight for elite athletes.

i'm about 65 kilos, so my recommended protein intake is 52g per day. not much.
    With pounds, you divide your weight in pounds by 2.2 which will give you your weight in kilograms. Then take 0.8 and multiply by your weight in kilograms. Your answer is the amount of protein you should be consuming per day (in grams).

I've recently learned in my studies, and its a bit different if you go waaay into it, but excess protein can be stored as fat if you dont work it off.

your body uses carbohydrates for energy first, then fat, then protein if the carb and fat stores are empty/inadequate. So try not to go too far over your protein intake. (im struggling with this myself at the moment. first there wasnt enough, now, there's too much. ugh)

anybody please feel free to correct me if im wrong, i'm still learning this and i just did a big assessment on it last night. :)
  • snlpop2
    snlpop2 Posts: 2
    going over is fine. what you don't want is to be under your protein alotment, which might cause your body to metabolize muscle instead of fat as you lose weight.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Unless you are going over more than 100 grams a day, you will be fine. Also, as someone stated MFP's default settings are too low. Aim to eat 1 gm of protein per lb of lean body mass. (For most people this ends up being roughly about 30% of your calories from protein).

So if you are going 100 grams over THAT number, then yeah, maybe eating 3 lbs of meat a day is a little much.... ;)
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    The nutritionist and trainer @ my gym told me that i should have 140-150 grams of protien a day based on the amount of exercise (cardio/wgt training) that I do. I was @ 60 and they said that i was way too low. your muscles needs protien to repair itself. not enough protien then the body takes if from lean muscle and thats a bad thing.

you can adjust the setting to increase the protien ratios. i have mine set to 45%