Confused about BMR and Daily Cal goal!

Options
lissypriss
lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
I was tinkering around on the site and noticed that my calculated BMR is 1662, but my daily caloric goal is a little over 1240. Why are these different??

Replies

• stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You are trying to lose weight so each day has a built in deficit.
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the calories that you burn by living your life everyday. You are trying to lose weight so you are going to have to eat less calories than that. That is why your daily caloric intake goal is what it is.
  • ashleehenda
    Options
    Would eating less than your BMR not put your body into starvation mode, resulting in your body holding on to your weight?
  • Mrsjones172
    Mrsjones172 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is something I am confused about as well. My BMR was 1469 but my goal calories per day are 1380.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    BMR: Basal Metabolic Rate, the # of calories you would burn if you just stayed in bed all day.

Obviously (I hope) you do more than stay in bed all day, so you're actually burning more calories than that every day. In order to lose weight, you have to have a caloric deficit based on how many calories you ACTUALLY BURN per day. Hope that helps.
  • ashleehenda
    Options
    I've put a topic on the message board, as I have 'gained' weight since starting MyFitnessPal - eating the advised allowance and also eating up my exercise calories.

Alot of people are stating that I should up my intake to give my body a little boost!