Ideas on execises to change up routine

Options
I run three days a week (2-4 miles) at an 11 min mile pace). I also meet twice a week with a personal trainer. One day he works on speed session and core work, the other he focuses on arms.

I am getting bored with running. I have started doing the stationary bike but it doesn't push me like running does.

I also tried a kickboxing class today but felt like Steve Erkel and left half way through.

I need some good challenging exercise ideas.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I really like Turbo Fire. I think it works me as good as running (maybe better) and it's definitely more of a all over body workout. I work MUCH harder than I've ever done on elliptical machines or stationary bikes. Mountain biking is the hardest thing I do but that requires a bike and 'um mountains.
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Get a real bike! Cycling is great, you get to see so much more of cities and country sides. Plus it is low impact. Problem is, you need a bike, hahaha.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I am trying new cardio also. I like the elliptical as I can get a decent burn. The step circuit class I took was fun and a great workout, but damn I am uncoordinated and felt awkward. If I had a drink or two before I went I think I could keep up better, but that would probably be counterproductive. :wink: Aqua Fit tonight was A LOT of fun, but not nearly the burn I get from running. I figure if I have a couple other options I can still run 2-3 times a week for my big calorie burn. I will be reading to see what everyone else recommends.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    I guess it really is just about personal preference. When I first joined the gym all I did was the elliptical. I tried the bike but didn't get the same burn as on the elliptical... but I kept at it on the bike and eventually I dropped the elliptical and just do massive burns on the bike. Maybe it just takes time to get used to?

Also, I was surprised at how great of a burn I get on the stairmaster. Have you tried that machine? It's good to switch up different types of cardio anyway :)