Favorite crock-pot recipes??

Options
Hey, my mom just pushed a small crock-pot on me to try out and I was wondering if anyone has a few favorite crock pot recipes to share? I dug around on the forums a little bit but wasn't having a ton of luck there. Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou: I'm looking forward to trying out some yummy recipes!

(p.s. this is part 2, last time I posted was late at night and almost no one saw it.)

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hey, my mom just pushed a small crock-pot on me to try out and I was wondering if anyone has a few favorite crock pot recipes to share? I dug around on the forums a little bit but wasn't having a ton of luck there. Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou: I'm looking forward to trying out some yummy recipes!

(p.s. this is part 2, last time I posted was late at night and almost no one saw it.)
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I dont really have any recipes but I love to just put a roast with some carrots and potatoes in my crock pot. Cook it all day long and you dont even need a knife. It usually just comes apart so easily.

Connie
  • JohnnyP
    JohnnyP Posts: 26
    Options
    Greetings!

One of my favorites is Butternut Squash Soup. :love: In addition to the squash, it contains apples and other "pantry" items. It's VERY easy and can be made with chicken broth, or water, for my vegatarian friends! :flowerforyou:

I'll see if I can round up the recipe for you when I get home! :happy: :smile:

95512.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Kilbasa, barbeque sauce and pineapple chunks, mix them together and let them simmer. Serve on rice. Very tasty, but not real calorie friendly.!!
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    Throw a roast in with a lipton onion soup packet (dry) and let her rip all day! You can also do this with carrots, onions and potatoes in the bottom, just add alittle water.

We like chicken with grape jelly and chili sauce, throw it all in and let it go while you're at work. This also works with frozen meatballs :)

www.crockpot365.blogspot.com She's doing a crockpot dish every day for the year. Her brown sugar chicken is good...the kids call it candy chicken and with all the brown sugar, I'm sure it's loaded with calories, so we don't make it often, but it's pretty good!

HTH,
    Heidi
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite is a lime chicken taco recipe.

Lime Chicken Tacos

Ingredients:

1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
    3 tablespoons lime juice
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 cup frozen corn
    1 cup chunky salsa
    12 flour (or corn) tortillas (6 inches), warmed
    Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and shredded lettuce, optional

Directions:
    Place the chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker (oops! mine is twice that size, so be sure to add extra water, or cut down the cooking time, or double the recipe, or compensate in some other creative way for the difference or it may end up dry and cooked super fast).

Combine lime juice and chili powder; pour over chicken (this didn’t seem like very much liquid, so I added a little water).

Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender (I started with frozen chicken breasts, and everything turned out fine with the extra water).

Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred and return to the slow cooker (To save a step, I didn’t bother removing and cooling the chicken — I just grabbed two forks and shred it right there in the crock).

Stir in corn and salsa (maybe I had more chicken than I realized, but I doubled the corn and salsa and still felt that it needed more salsa; I also added black beans to my personal serving, but left it out for the other bean-aversive guests and family members).

Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until heated through (if you don’t pull the chicken out and cool it, the whole thing heats up pretty fast).

Serve in tortillas (or taco shells, or on top of salad with crumbled chips on top) with sour cream, cheese and lettuce (and avocado and olives and definitely additional chopped fresh tomatoes, if you have them on hand), if desired.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Oh how funny ...I'm glad you mentioned the P.S part.....I thought I was losing my mind as I knew I'd posted on your thread...:laugh: Just looked thinking this thread sounded way to familiar and POOF....it's a new one.... :laugh:

You can always do a search and a bump next time too if you find that easier to keep it all on one thread to keep track of the recipes/ideas etc.:drinker:
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    check out allrecipes.com! Lots of great ideas there, too
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts with a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup and a can of water, add a can of mushrooms or fresh mushrooms. Cook on low all day - about 8 hours. Chicken will be falling apart! Yummy! Serve on top of pasta or rice with a side veggie. Yummy, yum, yum!!!

A crockpot is also great for chicken salad... cook the chicken breasts with water all day (about 8 hours). Remove the chicken from the the pot and allow to cool down. The meat is so tender that you can just plop it into a bowl and start adding your chicken salad ingredients... refrigerate... then serve! Yummy! Plus, you can save your chicken stalk (the water you cooked it in) for another recipe... like soup!

I love my crockpot! Being a working Mom it's hard to plan a meal every night... and the meat takes the longest to cook. A crockpot recipe takes all the guess work out - dinner is ready when you get home! It's like having a maid - well not quite, but it's the next best thing! Haha!
  • JohnnyP
    JohnnyP Posts: 26
    Options
    Ok....

Here we go: Butternut Squash Soup :love:

Perhaps you'll want to halve (?) these amounts for your small crock. :wink:

2 lbs. butternut squash, rinsed, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1-inch cubes
    1 firm apple, peeled, seeded and chopped
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    5 cups chicken stock (or water :smile: )
    1 TBSp curry powder, sweet or hot
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)

All you have to do at this point is place the chopped squash, apple, and onion in the crock pot. Then mix together the other ingrediants in a bowl and pour the mixture over the items in the crock pot. After 4 hours (high) or 5-5 1/2 hours (low) blend the soup to your desired consistency with an immersion, or traditional, blender. I let mine cool a bit before I put it in our traditional blender. Then salt and pepper to taste and garnish with the cranberries! :happy: :happy: :happy:

Now that the weather's turning colder here in Indiana, I'll start making this once a month and for get togethers!! :tongue: :bigsmile: :love:

95512.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • nightangelstars
    Options
    Oh wow these all sound fantastic! I'm so excited to try stuff that I'm going shopping tomorrow for ingredients and for the moment, I'm just throwing in some random stuff I had sitting around (frozen chicken breast, baby carrots, cut-up potato and garlic salt) and we'll see how it turns out. Gotta give it a practice run, after all! Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • majic
    majic Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Salsa Chicken

All you do is put your chicken in the crock pot and cover it with your favorite salsa cook on low for about 4-5 hours. Top with cheese or sour cream avocado tomatoes lettuce or anything you can think of.

It's really good.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    The full recipe is floating around as I bumped it up earlier.....got mine in the crockpot right now....smells good and so easy!:bigsmile:

Search for the thread and it's got all the nutrition info on it....

Enjoy...

Night what size crockpot do you have???
  • majic
    majic Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Lemon Herb Chicken

Coat the bottom of the crock pot with olive oil. Add the chicken. Cover the chicken with basil lemons garlic pepper and a little salt. Cook 4-6 hours and serve!
  • nightangelstars
    Options
    The full recipe is floating around as I bumped it up earlier.....got mine in the crockpot right now....smells good and so easy!:bigsmile:

Search for the thread and it's got all the nutrition info on it....

Enjoy...

Night what size crockpot do you have???

Mmmm sounds good! It's pretty small, I think I'd be hard-pressed to feed more than two people out of it (maybe if i packed it to the brim . . . ) but I'm still going to have leftovers . . . does that answer your question? I'm going to need to cut down most of the recipes I think, but that's not a big deal.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    bumpin for recipes :smile:
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I get a roast, put water, garlic, fressh parsley, XOX chicken broth, let it cook while I'm at work, shred it up and have

BEEF DIP!!!!! mmmmmmmmmm:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options

lots of recipes here :smile: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/65431-easy-crockpot-recipes
  • mrsbice
    Options
    chicken and rice...

season the chicken night before ( i use a little olive oil and the spices and put the chicken in a ziploc over night).

add water (3 cans about) to crock pot (i use the no msg, low sodium stuff), along with the chicken (if you used only a little oil, just put it all in), add fresh parsley, chopped celery, baby carrots (chopped in half). When you get home, make some rice according to the package directions(i use yellow or white), then add to the crock pot. add more or less rice depending on how soupy you want the final dish. Also, when boiling rice, use some the stock that you have made in the crock pot to add flavor to the rice.

A final note, while the rice is cooking, fish out the chicken and shred it (i use my fingers or a fork), then add back to the stock.

This is also a great way to make your own chicken stock. Let this cool completely (remove chicken and use in a dish that night, do not leave in stock). Put in freezer bags that will NOT leak, and lay down in the freezer flat. It is worth is to get high quality ziplocs for this.

You can then thaw it out and use the stock in your own dishes, knowing that it is homemade.