(from Oxygen magazine)

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
1 c. water
1/2 c. canned pure pumpkin
1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie seasoning
2 tbsp. Stevia

In small pot, bring water to a boil. Stir in pumpkin, remove from heat; turn heat to low. Stir in oats and put pot back on burner, gradually increasing heat to med low - reduce heat if begins to bubble or splatter. Cook for 7 minutes until oats are cooked and fluffy. Stir in cinnamon, pumpkin pie seasoning, and Stevia.

Ready in 15 minutes, makes 2 servings

calories 110
totals fats 2g
sat fat 0
trans fat 0
chol 0
sodium 5 mg
total carbs 23g
dietary fiber 6g
sugar 2g
protein 4g
iron 2 mg

(to add more protein, I like to add 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder for an extra 50 cals)

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    (from Oxygen magazine)

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
    1 c. water
    1/2 c. canned pure pumpkin
    1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal
    1 tbsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. pumpkin pie seasoning
    2 tbsp. Stevia

In small pot, bring water to a boil. Stir in pumpkin, remove from heat; turn heat to low. Stir in oats and put pot back on burner, gradually increasing heat to med low - reduce heat if begins to bubble or splatter. Cook for 7 minutes until oats are cooked and fluffy. Stir in cinnamon, pumpkin pie seasoning, and Stevia.

Ready in 15 minutes, makes 2 servings

calories 110
    totals fats 2g
    sat fat 0
    trans fat 0
    chol 0
    sodium 5 mg
    total carbs 23g
    dietary fiber 6g
    sugar 2g
    protein 4g
    iron 2 mg

(to add more protein, I like to add 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder for an extra 50 cals)
  • kristineh86
    Options
    Yum!!

What is stevia?!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Yum!!

What is stevia?!

It's a type of sweetener. You could use Splenda instead. :wink:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    stevia is awesome!

it is a natural herbal sweetener.

I highly recommend it over artificial sweetener, here is a little more info from wiki

commonly known as sweetleaf, sweet leaf, sugarleaf, or simply stevia, is widely grown for its sweet leaves. As a sugar substitute, stevia's taste has a slower onset and longer duration than that of sugar, although some of its extracts may have a bitter or licorice-like aftertaste at high concentrations.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    FYI- I made this for breakfast and made a double batch. My kids LOVED it! I topped theirs w/ a little brown sugar (no stevia) and a few walnuts. They said that they want it for breakfast tomorrow! :laugh:

Jess
  • DebLaf
    DebLaf Posts: 248
    Options
    I want to try this one too. Where do I purchase Stevia?
  • ACMEFit
    ACMEFit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Vitamin Cottage or Whole Foods
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    sounds yummo!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I want to try this one too. Where do I purchase Stevia?
    I get it at Kroger in the natural foods selection. But I didn't even use it in the oatmeal and it was still good (you could use splenda also if you wanted!).

Oh, and try this with steel cut oats too! Yum!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I REALLY need to try this. I love pumpkin and oatmeal!!! Do I really need to add the pumpkin spice? Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I REALLY need to try this. I love pumpkin and oatmeal!!! Do I really need to add the pumpkin spice? Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Nope, or you could just add cinnamon & nutmeg if you like. The pumpkin just makes it really creamy! I think I'll make it again tomorrow!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was looking at your recipe and you meant 1 tsp of cinnamon correct? You wrote down 1 tbsp...:flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I was looking at your recipe and you meant 1 tsp of cinnamon correct? You wrote down 1 tbsp...:flowerforyou:

I used 1 T. cinnamon, but I like cinnamon! You could start w/ 1 tsp. and add more if you like! :wink: