Dog in my back yard...

Options

Replies

• keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    As someone who has witnessed 2 pitbulls attack and kill a golden retriever who was in her own yard there is no way I would take a chance on my children.
    I can't describe the horror of seeing what these dogs were capable of.
    Kelly
  • Periphria
    Periphria Posts: 358
    Options
    Wow... I appreciate all of your responses. THANK YOU!

It excites me to see that there are so many dog lovers out there that are not only passionate about dogs but ALL dogs... as am I. Obviously, since i have a lab/chow mix I am not biased against breeds deemed "aggressive" b/c chows are also on the list. My husband and I have had to make sure that we actively and consistantly let Parker (our lab/chow mix) know that she is not to be aggressive in ANY way with our son... we make sure to correct ALL behaviors we think might lean that way.

I will also mention that we previously had a jack russell dog named Niko. He was a VERY aggressive dog when I met him (he was my husband's dog prior to our relationship) but with some work and "love" I calmed him down dramatically. People, like my hubby's family, couldn't believe the difference in him. Now... once our son was born it was a different story. He once againt became aggressive but only towards Dominic (our son). After the second "minor" bite we had him put to sleep. It just wasn't worth the fact that my son wasn't even walking yet and our dog had bit him twice. I wasn't going to wait to see what the next bite looked like.

OKAY... With all that said... I have made some progress with our little stray doggy. I called the local shelter who said that no "lost dog" reported fit the description of this dog we found. She took my name and number and filed an official "dog found" report. Even though she offered to pick the dog up I decided against it b/c she also said that he would be put down after 5 days - I DON'T THINK SO! After I did that I made an appointment with our vet to have the dog checked out tomorrow morning. They are going to examine him physically and take a poopy sample. I will be sure to let you all know how it all comes out.

It has really surprised me how much my husband likes the dog. Immediately, once he saw that it was a Pit Bull he was like "Kristi, we can't keep this dog." ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN: my husband is a police officer... every pit bull he has ever come across has been owned by criminals who have raised them to be aggressive. And, yes, due to his profession he has actually shot and tazed two different pit bulls to keep a fellow officer out of harms way... those particular pits were heading to attack someone on their unit. He has also been on MANY calls where one or more persons were malled to death by a pit... some of the Even with all this negative experience (and negative opinion about pits) he REALLY likes this dog. I told him all about the pit my grandparents owned and that I (as a child) loved all over him and he was NEVER aggressive with anyone around my grandparents home.

Anyway, I will keep all of you posted about it goes tomorrow. I think we're leaning towards keeping it...

:heart: Kris

My Husband is also a police officer and even though they go to a number of calls where they have to put dogs down, you also know that police dogs are some of the most vicious dogs, and yet with their handlers they are excellent. It all comes back to how you train your dog. Any dog can be aggressive.

Good luck making your choice.

perphria
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    As someone who has witnessed 2 pitbulls attack and kill a golden retriever who was in her own yard there is no way I would take a chance on my children.
    I can't describe the horror of seeing what these dogs were capable of.
    Kelly

this makes my heart ache. My dog growing up was a golden retriever (RIP). He was the sweetest dog I have ever known. My little brothers tortured that poor dog and he would just sit there and take it. No growl or anything. Now I have a spunky little Morkie. LOL

I would lean towards keeping the dog myself, or at least find it a good home-not the rescue center since they will put it to sleep so quickly :cry:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Dogs are what you make them. If you raise a dog with love and train it properly, you will get a good dog. I have a german shep and I would told never to have one with kids because they are on the top of the charts for biting. She was a rescue at the age of 1. She is spoiled rotten and loved more than words can say. She is like our kid. She shows no aggression. She will protect the family if need be.
    Our friends have 3 german shep and I don't trust them. They are left in the back yard and are not interacting with people.
    They are what you make them
    Yes, pits have a bad rap, but, there are also some people who raise them to be the sweetest dog. Example-Rachel Ray has a pit.
    She/he is showing love and gentle play to your child.-that can continue.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    You said it might be a mix...sometimes just getting another breed mixed in helps reduce the natural aggressiveness that can come from "inbreeding" of any breed.

Good luck, this is a tough dilemma....
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I hope the vet has some insight on it, too. Like others have said, maybe it is a mix. Our newest dog, most people pinned for a rottie, but once I got him to the vet he said there wasn't any rottie in him. He's mostly coon hound & doberman. You never know!
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    Might want to check with your homeowner's insurance, if you have it (I didn't know if you rented or owned). Some will ask if you have an agressive breed of dog at your home and your premiums will increase due to that. Just another thing to look at :flowerforyou:
    Heidi
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I had a dog once that I know was part boxer, but everybody that saw here swore she was part pit bull. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

I agree with Claire. I've know of quite a few cases where the dog was great with the kids, then ate one or one of the neighbor kids

Yea I have to say those are my thoughts as well.... you just have a funnier way of sharing them is all:laugh: :huh:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    We have a pitty and he is the sweetest dog ever. He :heart: s cuddles and affection. He's even more gentle and affectionate than our lab. :noway: I agree with others who say it's all in how you raise them. Pretty much any dog can be aggressive if that's how they are raised.
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    We have a german shepard, a pit mix, and a doberman sharpei mix, all three dogs have been known to be aggressive. However, our dogs are very gentle around children and are very sweet and cuddly. They are very good to us and we ave raised them to be very well mannered. Our german shephard can be a little intimidating at first because he loves to get in your face and jump on you for attention because he is a huge baby (120 lbs) but he just wants to play and lick you nothing aggressive about it. It really is how you train them. Our pit mix is 9 years old and we have had him since before he was even weaned because the owners couldn't afford them. Therefore, we had him at around 3 weeks old. He isn't clipped either and he doesn't show any signs of aggression at all. As someone else mentioned Rachel Ray has a pit and she has even had her dog on the show and her dog is a full breed. It really is how you raise the dog.

I have all of my dog's pictures on my profile if you are interested in seeing them as well.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I WOULD KEEP HIM. You said it seems like a mix, too. Either way, I agree that it all depends on the owners. We have a german shephard that we got when my daughter was six months old and that dog is so protective of her! Wherever she goes, Zoi follows. Our neighbor has a little, tiny dog that is really snippy....I trust that little thing less.

Also, one time I was on vacation in New Mexico and went for a walk alone. I heard a scarping sound and saw a dog running at me with a broken chain. As it got closer I could see it was a Pit Bull. Well, there was nothing for me do, so I just closed my eyes thinking I was going to get mauled to death. This dog raced over me, jumped on me, and got all the snuggles he could. It was amazing. I will never, ever forget that because I was sure I was going to die! So they can be really sweet dogs if you raise them properly.

And I think kids benefit growing up in homes with animals. We have one dog, two cats, a bunny, and fish. :)
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Well, I took Buster (we decided to name him) to the vet this morning and I AM SOLD! Minus a curable case of hook worms he is healthy as can be! Yay! I also asked our vet about the Pit Bull breed and she was like "I hate it because Pits have a very bad rep because of all the things you see on TV and hear about from others but with proper raising they can be as gentle as a lab." Those are her exact words. She also said that she has known some very aggressive labs, and even golden retvrs. She reassured me that he seems like a very well-mannered, sweet dog and that if we show him how to be gentle then that is how he will be... and since he is still young and show no signs of being abused then there is a great chance that he will be a wonderful dog to add to our family.

I also want to mention that she said that MOST of the Pits that attack people aren't fixed, raised in packs (which automatically make them more aggressive and protective), and their owners show them how to be that way. She added that most of the aggressive Pits are born around other aggressive Pits (taught to be that way).

Put it this way... after the vet I went to Walmart and got him a collar, a leash, and some toys. I'm going to go with my gut feeling on this one and as long as he isn't claimed we are keeping the doggy. I will take some pictures of him tonight and post them... he is SO CUTE AND SWEET! :smooched:

I really appreciate all your advice and sympathy for my tough decision. I am very excited to have a new playmate for my lab/chow mix, my son, and my husband. I think he will be a great dog! :wink:

Thanks Everyone! :flowerforyou:

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Wooo Kris!! Enjoy your new dog! I have heard the same thing about Pits. That it all depends on how they are raised/treated. I think Rachel Ray has one and is always talking about what a great dog she is.

Have a blast! And thank you for saving a dog!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

We rescued a blind boston terrier a few years ago! :happy:

:heart:
    -Tam
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I had a boxer/pit and he was the greatest dog. While he was never aggressive with my children or anyone I let in the house, he was certainly a good protector. He would stand in between my children and anyone that he did not really know. He was never agressive but very protective. He made me feel safe. He was a very cool dog. I could tell him to go get in his chair and he would get in the rocking chair and rock himself to sleep. If I told him it was bath time he would go get in the tub and just wait for me to come and bathe him. Very laid back. Unforturnately he contacted cancer at age 7 and I had to have him put down. In his place I got a doberman, he is the same way. Very gently but makes me feel very safe! I say keep him!!!!

Memaw
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Yay! I worked at a shelter for several years, and the majority of the Pit Bulls were sweethearts. I also had them when I was a kid, and they were fine. Now my Cocker Spaniel - don't cross him! LOL.

I'm glad you decided to give him a forever home. They don't usually get adopted from the shelters. A sad consequence of poor socialization. Get the little guy in "manners" training.

Congrats! :glasses:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! One more rescued dog! I'm glad the vet was so supportive & explained things in that manner. That's encouraging. Enjoy your new puppy!

Tam - my parents have a blind chow/lab mix. He wasn't blind as a puppy, but has a genetic condition where he doesn't have enough blood vessels behind his eyes to support sight. Poor blind doggies...but you can hear him sniffing things from a mile away. :laugh: Good for you adopting a "special needs" dog!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!!! :flowerforyou:

I will try to post pictures sometime soon! :bigsmile:

• Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    Okaaaaaaaaayyyyy............. Sooooooooo............... I guess I don't know my dog breads. Haha!

I thought the dog I put in my yard looked like a boxer-mix... my husband got home and was like "Kristi, this dog is a pit bull". I just laughed... oops! :noway: Hubby said it is probably mixed with something else if it's a stray.

Anyway, we are debating on what to do since pits are known to be agrressive dogs... we have one little boy already and another child on the way. I've heard two theories when it comes to the "aggressive" pit bull: 1) It depends on the owner, or 2) It's the dog breed, owner doesn't matter. I have to say that I kind of agree more with the theory that a dog's aggressiveness depends on its owner. The reason I say this is b/c my grandparents had a pit as I grew up. It was around 5 or so grandkids and lots of other people... their pit (Spike was his name) never showed any signs of aggression... in fact, he was REALLY sweet.

My question is what do you all think? :huh: :huh: :huh:

We kept the dog in our house last night... we gave it a bath... gave it bones to chew on... the entire night he was sweet as can be. My husband even took the bone away from him several times and he never even motioned to us that he was going to bite or growl. He slept in a kennel in our living room all night - after about 5 minutes of whining, he was very quiet.

I'm in a delima here... HELP!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

To be honest, I really have to say its based on the owner. I have several friends who have pits, and they are the most sweetest things...never have i seen them show aggression. People get intimidated because pits were used for fighting. But so where bulldogs, and look at them now. English Mastiffs were used for hunting bears. Its all based on how you raise the pup, and since its a puppy it will be much easier.
  • Periphria
    Periphria Posts: 358
    Options
    Way to go girl.
    Good luck with your new dog.
    :smile: :happy: :smile: :happy: :happy:
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yeah!
    Yup, I believe in, there are NO bad dogs, just BAD owners!
    Petey on the Little Rascals was a Pit Bull!
    Congrats on your new little poochey!