weight training, how long?

Options
I just started weight training because I'm look to build muscle not to lose anymore weight. I have been following a prgram by Figure Athlete. An ex. of 1 workout is one leg dead lifts, assisted chin-ups, standing dumbell press, front squats with bar bell, ab roller all are 5 sets and 5 reps. These workout take me less than 30min and are 3 x a week. Is this enough to see a difference. I am used to doing 45min- and hr and half of cardio so this doesn't really feel like much of a workout. I am using heavy weights though and pushing myself. But am I doing enough?

Replies

• jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    I would also love to hear how long you should do weight training for to start seeing results using decent weights
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Good for you for initiating a weight-training program! I'm not exactly sure how to answer your question. Are you doing enough to build muscle...???... if you are lifting heavy and pushing yourself... yes! However, if you are asking if you are burning as many calories as you'd typically burn with your 1.5-hour cardio session??? ... No! Yes strength training burns calories, but not as much as cardio. Think of it this way... you do the weights to build lean muscle so that your body becomes more efficient and develops a fantastic shape/tone.... you do the cardio along with the proper diet to cut the fat enough so that you can SEE all that great muscle! Both are important!!!
  • amac992000
    amac992000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey just read your post. There isnt a simple answer if im honest, its all down to how you feel. Everyone is different. There isnt a set amount of time that you should do weights for. If you are doing sets and reps so that your pushing yourself to your utmost, then you cant do anymore. It could be your mind telling you, you need to do more, but you need to listen to your body, if you feel you can do more and want to do more, then do it.

Do you feel tired after a workout??? Do you feel Fatigued?? If not perhaps try a heavier weight if possible, or limit your time between sets, to 90 seconds or 60 seconds.

You should start to notice a difference certainly in 3-4 weeks if you are following your program and eating correctly, step away from the scales in your judgement, look in the mirror, i find that the best judgement.

Hope this helps
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Also be aware that weight training and building muscle is not a sprint... it's a marathon. It takes time and consistency. It also requires you to constantly challenge yourself. For me, once I can manage to lift 10-12 reps of a certain weight over a few weeks time, this is my cue to add more weight. I usually have it heavy enough that I really struggle to do 8-10 reps. I've been weight training about 12 years now and I'm still getting stronger... little by little!
  • jessicazanebell
    jessicazanebell Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    thank you that helped! I think I just need to add a few more exercises to my weight training program because I do struggle to get to 8-10 reps but it just doesn't take me that long. Also, how much cardio do you recommend I do weekly, in addition t my 3 days of weight training?
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Also be aware that weight training and building muscle is not a sprint... it's a marathon. It takes time and consistency. It also requires you to constantly challenge yourself. For me, once I can manage to lift 10-12 reps of a certain weight over a few weeks time, this is my cue to add more weight. I usually have it heavy enough that I really struggle to do 8-10 reps. I've been weight training about 12 years now and I'm still getting stronger... little by little!

this. I never worry about how long I lift for. Lifting is about how much you are challenging yourself. If you can breeze through your program and never struggle than you aren't lifting heavy enough. You should have a heavy enough weight that the last two lifts of each set are a struggle and you need some recovery time between each set. A really good workout will leave you sore the next morning. Not in PAIN but sore.

It does take TIME, at least a month to start seeing results and as soon as you can do those last two reps without struggling it's time to bump up the weight. I only go up by 5lbs sometimes 10 at a time. It is progressive.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

this. I never worry about how long I lift for. Lifting is about how much you are challenging yourself. If you can breeze through your program and never struggle than you aren't lifting heavy enough. You should have a heavy enough weight that the last two lifts of each set are a struggle and you need some recovery time between each set. A really good workout will leave you sore the next morning. Not in PAIN but sore.

It does take TIME, at least a month to start seeing results and as soon as you can do those last two reps without struggling it's time to bump up the weight. I only go up by 5lbs sometimes 10 at a time. It is progressive.

THIS. Push, rest, push, rest, etc.

And if you feel excessive pain or soreness, go easy. Ice it. If it doesn't improve, talk to a doctor. Good form and REST - you need to recover from those lifts!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    thank you that helped! I think I just need to add a few more exercises to my weight training program because I do struggle to get to 8-10 reps but it just doesn't take me that long. Also, how much cardio do you recommend I do weekly, in addition t my 3 days of weight training?

I would highly recomend AGAINST adding more exercises.

There is a very simple way for new lifters to get a good program, and that's whole body, 3 times a week. Forget any and all isolations exercises. NOW. Instead do compound exercises that involves as many muscles as possible. It doesn't get much better than bench press, over head press, upright rows, bent over rows, assisted pullups, and DEAD LIFTS and SQUATS. Plenty of people have built tons of muscle and strength using no more than these exercises, sometimes less.

I'm an advanced trainer (10 years under the bar), and I'll still go back to just bench press, over head press, bent over row, and squats.

Also, limit yourself to no more than 45 minutes in a lifting session, with atleast 90 seconds rest between every set. If you really want to build muscle, rest even more so you can push heavier weights.

Don't be afraid of heavy weights. (I forget, is the OP a woman? Sorry.) Women need to really push their muscles to grow, because they don't have nearly as much testosterone as a man. If a woman really wants to build any muscle at all, she has to really push herself in the weight room.

The MOST IMPORTANT THING to do when your lifting weights is to use progression. Add more weight every single session, until you can't do all your sets with the same weight. When this happens, go back down a little and work your way back up again until you break through your plateu. Once your too strong to add weight consistently, do it every 2-3 weeks, but ALWAYS try to push yourself to lift more. This will force your body to adapt and build bigger, stronger muscles.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I just started weight training because I'm look to build muscle not to lose anymore weight. I have been following a prgram by Figure Athlete. An ex. of 1 workout is one leg dead lifts, assisted chin-ups, standing dumbell press, front squats with bar bell, ab roller all are 5 sets and 5 reps. These workout take me less than 30min and are 3 x a week. Is this enough to see a difference. I am used to doing 45min- and hr and half of cardio so this doesn't really feel like much of a workout. I am using heavy weights though and pushing myself. But am I doing enough?
    The time is fine...........it's more about the intensity and contractions. What's your set and rep range?
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I work with machines three times a week and one day a week free weights. I work for about 30 minutes each time.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I would highly recomend AGAINST adding more exercises.

There is a very simple way for new lifters to get a good program, and that's whole body, 3 times a week. Forget any and all isolations exercises. NOW. Instead do compound exercises that involves as many muscles as possible. It doesn't get much better than bench press, over head press, upright rows, bent over rows, assisted pullups, and DEAD LIFTS and SQUATS. Plenty of people have built tons of muscle and strength using no more than these exercises, sometimes less.

I'm an advanced trainer (10 years under the bar), and I'll still go back to just bench press, over head press, bent over row, and squats.

Also, limit yourself to no more than 45 minutes in a lifting session, with atleast 90 seconds rest between every set. If you really want to build muscle, rest even more so you can push heavier weights.

Don't be afraid of heavy weights. (I forget, is the OP a woman? Sorry.) Women need to really push their muscles to grow, because they don't have nearly as much testosterone as a man. If a woman really wants to build any muscle at all, she has to really push herself in the weight room.

The MOST IMPORTANT THING to do when your lifting weights is to use progression. Add more weight every single session, until you can't do all your sets with the same weight. When this happens, go back down a little and work your way back up again until you break through your plateu. Once your too strong to add weight consistently, do it every 2-3 weeks, but ALWAYS try to push yourself to lift more. This will force your body to adapt and build bigger, stronger muscles.

+1

Spend some time researching the proper form, especially with those barbell exercises.
  • jessicazanebell
    jessicazanebell Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    ok very helpful! thanks for all you advice guys =)