Vanity Sizing?

2»

Replies

• SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    I wish one day I can walk into a shop and just buy a good pair of jeans and just be happy with a perfect fit vs the perfect number. I'm obsessed with the number!! It is very irratating that the numbers fluctuate so much. It aggravates me more that its not such the case with men. My husband can walk into any store pick up a pair of 36x34's and walk out knowing they will fit. I can not walk into any store and pick up a size 6 and "know" they will fit. I live in an area with very limited shopping, so I have to do much of my shopping online. It is very difficult to buy jeans online!!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Here is a question to all you living in the UK. Do they make smaller sizes then that as described and if so are there people that buy them? I would assume that those people who can fit into a UK 0, 2, 4...etc (however it goes, sorry) would be extremely skinny. From the pictures I have seen you all seem to be healthy and fit; plus small.
    I am a US 10 right now so I guess I would be in a VERY large size in the UK. While living in Japan I found that I was a plus size and could rarely find clothing to fit me. I had to order clothing online to get clothes that fit. I think, for me personally, it would bother me. But that could be because I am used to the US sizing.
  • LisaStanley500
    LisaStanley500 Posts: 65 Member
    But even if you sew, you will notice patterns vary greatly in sizes just as ready made clothes. Different patterns go by different sizing scales. Just like clothes, it seems the more expensive it is the smaller number you get. Know your measurements!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I'm not exactly sure who has said that, but if those are your measurements you would not wear a US size 10 or 12. Not unless you just wanted to wear very baggy clothes for some reason. A size 6 sounds about right. My measurements are 36-31-39 and I wear a US size 8.
  • TrinaXL
    TrinaXL Posts: 39 Member
    I usually shop at thrift stores, but I find sizing varies by brand. sometimes it is a little bit irritating that I fit a size12-18 but I try on EVERYTHING that I think might fit and just buy what looks and feels good :)
  • mycatas
    mycatas Posts: 20
    It's definited challenging to find the right when you don't have time to go into stores to shop or you need specialty sizes. I buy almost all my clothes online because I'm 5'10" and most stores don't stock much for talls. There are online a few retailers that I know my size consistently on their websites. Sometimes I have to resort to buying two of something I want and returning the item that doesn't fit. Even brands that I have relied on for a long time like Gap have inflated sizes drastically.
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Here is a question to all you living in the UK. Do they make smaller sizes then that as described and if so are there people that buy them? I would assume that those people who can fit into a UK 0, 2, 4...etc (however it goes, sorry) would be extremely skinny. From the pictures I have seen you all seem to be healthy and fit; plus small.
    I am a US 10 right now so I guess I would be in a VERY large size in the UK. While living in Japan I found that I was a plus size and could rarely find clothing to fit me. I had to order clothing online to get clothes that fit. I think, for me personally, it would bother me. But that could be because I am used to the US sizing.

We don't actually have sizes 2 or 0 here (at least I've never seen them). Our sizes end to size 4 which is the same as US 0. I understand you also have size 00 nowdays which would be UK2 but like said, I've never seen such...

You'd be a size UK14. One size smaller than the average UK woman :)

And just to add to the topic... I currently have clothes from UK12 to UK6 in my closet and all of them fit fine.... go figure!
This discussion has been closed.