Will fruit make me gain weight?

Options
Hi there! For those of you who don't know me, I'm Shannon, and I've been struggling with my weight all throughout my teens. At the moment I'm 165 lbs, down from 170lbs (Before that i had gotten down to 145, but ended up binging over the course of a few weeks and became my heaviest weight yet, yikes).

I've got 10 weeks to lose about 25-30 lbs, which seems sort of realistic for me, but i want to do it the slow, healthy way. In my mind this means lots of lean meat, veg and fruit.

However, do I risk putting on weight if I eat approx. 3 portions of fruit per day? I know that there's alot of sugar in fruit, but as part of a well balanced diet, will this affect my weight loss?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    No. Fruit is good for you. Eat it :)

ETA: 20 pounds in ten weeks is a healthy, realistic goal. 30 is not.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hi there! For those of you who don't know me, I'm Shannon, and I've been struggling with my weight all throughout my teens. At the moment I'm 165 lbs, down from 170lbs (Before that i had gotten down to 145, but ended up binging over the course of a few weeks and became my heaviest weight yet, yikes).

I've got 10 weeks to lose about 25-30 lbs, which seems sort of realistic for me, but i want to do it the slow, healthy way. In my mind this means lots of lean meat, veg and fruit.

However, do I risk putting on weight if I eat approx. 3 portions of fruit per day? I know that there's alot of sugar in fruit, but as part of a well balanced diet, will this affect my weight loss?

Thanks in advance guys :)

If you keep it at 3 servings per day, you should be OK. See if you can make one of those servings some sort of berry, as they have the lowest sugar.
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    pineapple is a diuretric help keep water weight down and it is good for you better than chips right!
  • gublercullen
    Options

Thanks! 30 is the dream goal, but i wouldnt want to get there too fast. I'm hoping and praying for around the 20 pound mark!
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I try and eat 4 pieces of day. the sugar in fruit doesn't count so ignore that part on MFP and enjoy it. Don't take my word for it though, my sports dietitian recommended lots of fruit and veggies.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options

+1 on both things. 30 lbs. in 10 weeks is asking for trouble on a few levels.

Fruit is great, but get your veggies in there too. Yes, if you eat a crapload of fruits it can mess with you a little, but you really have to eat a ton for it to be bad.
  • SparkyJS65
    Options
    I've found over the years that fruit is fine, as long as you are logging in true portion sizes of each one. They just count as part of your balanced diet. I love fruit myself and I usually get in 3 portions a day- starting with my banana with breakfast. It only hurts someone if they consider it a "free food". By that I mean like eating a bag of grapes and a whole bunch of bananas in one day but it's ok because it's just fruit..... :smile:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Fruit itself will not make you gain weight.. .unless you eat 2500 calories worth per day!!! Stay right at the calorie goal you have set. Make sure you get lots of protein and eat whole grains and veggies as well. A balanced diet is perfect, and fruit is important!

I do think that in 10 weeks you may get close to 20 pounds off... 30 is totally unrealistic. Plan on 1-2 pounds per week.

Good luck!
  • gublercullen
    Options

+1 on both things. 30 lbs. in 10 weeks is asking for trouble on a few levels.

Fruit is great, but get your veggies in there too. Yes, if you eat a crapload of fruits it can mess with you a little, but you really have to eat a ton for it to be bad.

I try and eat an equal amount of veg, but usually later in the day, I like having fruit I can pick at whilst I'm at work, curbs my need for something sweet! About the 30lbs in 10 weeks stuff, you're totally right, I'm actually going to live in New Zealand in 10 weeks for a year, and that's why my goal is set for 10 weeks time, I should have mentioned that I plan to maintain my dieting/healthye ating whilst I'm there!

Thanks for replying everyone :)
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Fruit is like everything else (unfortunately;) if you eat too much of it, you will still gain weight!
  • anberlingasm
    anberlingasm Posts: 177
    Options
    If you eat over your calorie quota, you will not lose weight. It doesn't matter whether you eat chips, ice cream or apples - calories are calories and if you over eat your quota, then no, you won't lose anything. So, in answer to your question, yes. Fruit will make you gain weight, but only if you eat over your calories.

However, fruit calories are less than other more unhealthy options. I'm eating a small apple right now with my lunch and it's 80 cals, but I would normally have a bag of chips/crisps, which would have been 170 cals. It's all about swapping poorer options for better ones.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Everyone is making a good point about your weight loss goals. If you lose very quickly (more than 1.5-2 lbs per week) you will lose much more muscle than necessary. That will actually make you flabbier, though smaller, as well as making it much harder than it should be to maintain your loss as muscle burns more calories than fat.
  • cajuntinkerbell
    Options
    Fruit is good for you, but my doctor told me that bananas make you retain water, which sucks cuz that's my favorite fruit :(
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you, but my doctor told me that bananas make you retain water, which sucks cuz that's my favorite fruit :(

mine too but i TRY to stay away from them as they have lots more cals in than others!

and EAT FRUIT!
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Too much, yes. I speak from experience :frown:
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options

mine too but i TRY to stay away from them as they have lots more cals in than others!

and EAT FRUIT!

But, is there a better way to get potassium than bananas? I'd say eat fruit, a better food than Doritos, but in moderation -- watch and log your portions.

Cheers,

Sean