Foods to take camping?

2»

Replies

• jessicarn76
    jessicarn76 Posts: 94 Member
    Ugh. We are going camping this weekend with some family. I asked my sister in law what she wants to me to bring. She said whatever we want,they have hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, dips, chicken, baked potatoes, etc for meals. you know, camp food. So I'm bringing a ginormous bowl of fresh fruit, maybe some salsa and baked tortilla chips. My "plan" is to eat the hamburgers/hotdogs, but also make sure I'm having more healthy stuff on my plate also. I"m sure I'll go over my calories, since they're only 1200, but as long as I log everything, I'm ok with it. At least, I keep telling myself that ;) We're leaving saturday morning. While I'd like to hit the gym before we go, I don't see that happening. I'll try to go tomorrow night and burn up major calories. While it stresses me out, all the food and high calories, this is part of life. As long as I don't eat this way all week, once in a while won't hurt me too much, will it? UGH!
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Camping isn't happening thanks to more rain all weekend :(
    Bought some stuff for the trip last night. Looks like we'll be camping in our living room instead though. We may never get camping at all this Summer because of the poor weather. NO fun tenting in the rain, especially with a 5 year old!
  • We go camping for a week, twice a year. It's a big shindig for family and friends. We tent as well, but we also bring our grills and camp stoves. Anything you eat at home you should be able to take camping with you. We usually have two or three coolers as well. In one cooler we have all the meat, cheese, eggbeaters and dairy, in the other cooler fruits, veggies and extras. We also have food bins (breads, buns, snacks etc.) The we have another cooler for drinks... lots and lots of bottled water, diet soda, beer and wine.
    For meat we usually take chicken (my husband grills the yummiest drunken chicken), pork chops, steaks, hot dogs, hamburgers, whatever we feel like having.
    We have side dishes and veggies.
    Like I said... whatever you cook and eat at home you can cook and eat when camping.
    Have fun!!

Note * I just read where you're not going camping now. But there may be some trips in the future! Plan ahead, and have a wonderful time!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Camping isn't happening thanks to more rain all weekend :(
    Bought some stuff for the trip last night. Looks like we'll be camping in our living room instead though. We may never get camping at all this Summer because of the poor weather. NO fun tenting in the rain, especially with a 5 year old!

Don't let the rain stop you. Does your tent have a rain fly? Use it! Lol. My daughter and I love to camp....even in the rain, it sure sounds nice when it's coming down and in the morning...that lovely fresh smell is amazing! My daughter is 7 and we've been camping since she was tiny. Unless it's horrible thunderstorms y'all should go...don't let mother nature ruin what could be a wonderful time with your hubby and kiddo.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    It's also only 15 *C here so it's a bit chilly. Gets cooler than that at night yet again. Mid-July and Mother Nature is crapping on us big time in the weather department.
    My daughter hates the rain so I know she wouldn't like it.
    We don't even know what our tent looks like set up. It's an eight person one that we bought at the end of the season last year on sale and haven't used it yet, LOL. Hopefully soon though!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Ack....try it out in your house, lol. If you've never used your tent you need to do a trial run to see how long it's going to take to set up and take down.

I must say...that weather is icky! It's a bit too hot here...it's in the low 80's at night. I'm in the States...forgive my lack of conversion...I can't remember the ratio. We've had storms most afternoons lately...but it doesn't stop our adventures. I hope it warms up a bit and stops raining for you.