Does anyone wants to GAIN weight?

Options
I know is less common but I really want to gain weight and I can use some advice in how to increase my caloric intake. If gaining weight is your goal or if you can give me advice and support, feel free to add me!

Replies

• charlottebronte
    Options
    Most of us here on MFP are experts at gaining weight. Come on over; I'll feed you!
  • sarahsfaith
    sarahsfaith Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! As long as is veggie food!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I just bought this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hungry-innocent-recipe-filling-family/dp/0007416806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310667219&sr=8-1

It's full of really delicious, easy to prepare, healthy food. Lots of veggie stuff, some of it is higher cals than I want right now, but all delicious x
  • sarahsfaith
    Options
    THANKS!
  • dance_jen
    dance_jen Posts: 10
    Options
    I was actually unsure of posting something like this. I also joined for the same reason. I lose 25lbs since Jan but now can't stop losing and it's close to being unhealthy. I set my goal to gain a pound a week but can't even get close to the calory intake it's telling me I need without going over somewhere else. For the last three days it's told me I will continue to lose if I keep doing what I am doing.
  • sarahsfaith
    Options
    Dance-jen, same happened to me the first days...

I bought silk chocolate soy milk and a protein shake (I'm a vegetarian) so I can add at least 500 more calories. No I eat pasta everyday because 1 cup of pasta has almost 1,000 calories and it is the easier way for me... the pasta, the sauce, the cheese and the bread gives me a lot of calories for one meal.

I am eating snacks between meals and I chose them carefully so that I know I'm taking the healthier but with more calories.

Try it!

I'm going to add you as my friend so we can encourage each other... I'm already in an "unhealthy" weight and breastfeeding so .... I HAVE TO GAIN WEIGHT!
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    Google "Post Punk Kitchen" and take a peek at her blog and at some of her books. I (clearly) am not here to gain weight, but she has a ton of really substantial food. Some of which I eat in moderation and some that I have to rule out entirely. But you can easily add a lot of her recipes to pasta to bulk it up.

Maybe not the silver bullet you were looking for but I latched onto the veggie thing. Also, I assume that some people who want to gain weight (without eating a bunch of junk) also get board of "carbo loading" all the time, just like those of us trying to lose weight get sick of skinless chicken and salad.

Incidentally, I gained all my weight by eating too much candy and pop-tarts. :bigsmile:
  • dance_jen
    dance_jen Posts: 10
    Options
    If you are breastfeediing that already merits extra calories. I've been told to add extra proteins (not starches) and good fats (nuts) to my diet. I can easily go up a pound but it never sticks. I know an insane problem to have but my metabolish is now in extreme overdrive.

I ate all kinds of great things while I was in my weight lose phase and never felt sick of anything. I am happy to share receipes although not many vegetarian.
  • murphysraven
    Options
    Have you tried adding more avacado and nuts into your diet? They provide good fats and are higher in calories.
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    im bulking at the moment lol...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'm slow bulking at the moment :)

Eating more than your maintenance should theoretically do it. How long have you been on here? Do you know your maintenance level?
  • sarahsfaith
    Options
    Chrisdavey, I've been here a week!

I added the iphone application so I could keep track of my calorie intake because my doctor told me to do so... that's when I realized how little I was eating....
  • sarahsfaith
    Options
    Tomorrow I'll go to the market and get the avocados and nuts :)

And I'm gonna check those websites right now!
  • kimberly130
    kimberly130 Posts: 166
    Options
    Hi! my sister had a metabolism "problem" and it was really hard for her to gain weight, she was 85lbs at 5'5". In high school our parents were called because they thought she was anorexic, needless to say she was really upset! Anyway she ended up going to a nutritionist and they put her on a high calorie/fat diet. I remember wheat bread peanut butter and banana sandwiches being a big staple in her diet. it provided healthy oils and fats. If your really having trouble you may want to find a nutritionist to help you too.
    good luck!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    As a bodybuilder - Yes I most definitely do. However I want muscle weight, not fat weight
  • warriorsal
    warriorsal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with my weight, but I'd like to tone up and get stronger. So, if the reduction of fat and addition of some muscle adds a little weight, I'd be fine with that.
  • sarahsfaith
    Options
    Im actually going to the nutritionist soon!

I do want to gain weight... not get fat:P

I just want to have the energy to work out, but right now is about getting some pounds and energy too!
  • baconsteak
    Options
    Seems like there are very few of us on here trying to gain weight, so welcome to the club....you sure can gain weight in a healthy way, basically it comes down to the amount of calories you eat and needing to be in a surplus. If you can figure out your amount of calories needed for maintenance then you can add an easy 500 or so extra per day of healthy foods to gain ~ 1 pound per week.

If you want to get a good estimate of your maintenance you could go over to bodybuilding.com and search for something called the “total metabolism forecaster”. This is a useful spreadsheet which should give you a good point to start at for weight gain.

For some healthy clean foods to add that are calorie dense you could add a protein shake or pick up one of Tosca Reno’s clean eating books. All of her stuff will be clean healthy foods and a lot of it is packed with calories for those of us looking to gain weight.
    Good Luck!
    :smile:
  • sarahsfaith
    Options
    Thanks a lot!