How many pounds away am I from...

How many pounds am I away from losing a pants size? I'm getting quite frustrated. Yes, I have only lost 7 pounds, but my stupid size 20 jeans are STILL tight... I'm impatient I guess. I'm 5'7" and wondering if anyone has similar stats and can give me some info on how long it took you to lose a size? I am large framed and will never be a size 0, but I'm ready to start shopping in normal stores! I'm tired of the "plus" label on my clothing. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    It'd different for everyone.

Some factors are in where you carry most of your weight, where you lose it from first and whether you were wearing the correct size to begin with.

If you carry a lot of weight in your belly and it comes off last, it's going to be a while. If you carry it and lose it evenly, you should see a change soon.

But if you're already wearing too-small clothes, it will be longer before you can move into the next size down because you may already have lost a size to fit into current clothes.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Hi

Im 5'7 and have lost about a stone. in total. Im still wearing the same size trousers (Uk 14) I can get UK 12 on but they are too tight so keeping on going until I manage it. I have defo lost size on my top half but need to bottom half to catch up.x
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    for me it is usually 10 lbs and then i drop but if you are wearing older pants that are honestly to small but you have stretched them out it could take anywhere from 10 to 40lb depending on where you lose your weight first. Sometimes people only lose weight in one area at the beginning.
    I went for a size12 to an 8 after losing 16lbs.
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    It took me about 12lbs before I could get into a UK 14 comfortably, and after that, it was every 15lbs.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Mine seems to drop every 20-25 pounds. Hang in there!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Well, I'm down 16lbs and haven't changed pants yet at all. I've lost 3 or 4 inches off my wait, but only about half an inch off my hips and none on my thighs. Same thing with shirts ... still same size. My bust has gone done about an inch but nothing in my arms yet.

I totally feel your pain about wanting to get out of the "plus" section.
  • Abdomen is the last to come off altho it will reduce. Look at other areas of your body w/o focussing on your middle, like your legs, chin (s) lol. Take tape measures as well as scale measurements...and record monthly bla
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    usually there are more pounds between the larger sizes, because there's more weight to lose. at my highest i was a size 24, and it was a long time ago so you really cant quote me on this but it was somewhere around 10-20 lbs in between sizes. if not more. i was 300 lbs at a size 24 and somewhere like 240 in a size 20. so you get the idea... when you're smaller, and you have much less weight left to lose, 5 lbs makes a BIG difference. on the other hand, the weight comes off easier when you have more of it to lose! so hold on, its a give and take.and everyones body is different.

(edit: and im 5'7 as well)
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    For me going down from a size 12 to a size 10 I had to lose about 15-20lbs. I beleive it will be different for everyone due to where the weight is lost first. It took me more weight due to my waist. I always carry more weight in my waist so it too a little longer to get down to a comfortable 10 (however, now my butt looks sagging...:cry: ). I am 5 7 as well; just for reference...:smile:
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    I remember years ago when I was on weight watchers, the leader said every 10 lbs was a dress size. I knew it was total bull because at 145 lbs (I'm 5'6"), I was a size 14; and at 230 lbs, I'm a size 18. It was very easy for me to gain a lot of weight w/o realizing it because I still fit in my pants - I gained in places like my arms and calves and then, lastly, waist & breasts - which affect the clothing sizes.

So, for me, this time I am doing a lot more with exercise, so I think the toning will help me fit into clothing sooner, without so much weight loss. Some size 16 items that were tight on me fit me well after the 10 lb mark. But I expect I'll have to go down another 20 lbs (30 total) before I might be smaller than a 16.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    I think it totally depends on the person. A friend of mine says she loses a size every 10 lb.s or so; for me it's more like 15lbs. at this weight. It's also hard to tell sizes because stores/brands are so different!!

*edit: I'm 5'5" and unfortunately carry my weight around my midsection (I end up buying pants to fit my waist and then tailor them to fit my hips/thighs, ugh)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    I`m 5foot 5inches

my starting weight was 213 and a tight size 16US
    I`m down to 191 and a very Loose size 14 almost ready to try on some 12`s

I really think its different for each person
  • I have lost 23 pounds and am still a size 14...i am 6 foot and I have a very athletic built....I am 229 pounds as of now....I am trying to be patient buts it frustrating I cant even feel my clothes fitting losely....SO FRUSTRATED I KNOW.. feel free to add me :]
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    I am 5'7" and I started out at 224. I have lost 17 lbs in all and still have not changed a pant size...my pants are getting bigger but I have tried on a 14 and they are still a little tight. It is very frustrating to not get to change yet but you will be able to shop at a regular store. I am right there with you and I SO want to be able to shop and not have to look for "plus" sizes. It will happen with due time. Just keep doing what you are doing and it will happen!!
    Good luck!!!!:smile:
  • anave285
    anave285 Posts: 67 Member
    I am reall jealous of people like ChantalGG. It takes me 20lbs to go down a size. Right now I am 5 ft. 6 and 213 lbs and a size 14. I will not get into a size 12 until like 195 lbs.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Abdomen is the last to come off altho it will reduce. Look at other areas of your body w/o focussing on your middle, like your legs, chin (s) lol. Take tape measures as well as scale measurements...and record monthly bla
    That may be true for you, but it isn't necessarily the case for everyone.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    I'm 5'6'', have a small frame but wide hips, and it took me 40 entire pounds before I lost a pants size! Not even kind of exaggerating here. My hips were the final thing to budge. I had lots of room in the thighs, but the hips weren't budging, so I had to wait until I lost 40 pounds... Hopefully you either a) won't lose exactly like me, or b) If you do, you can learn some patience with these things! :-)

Did it take me 40 pounds to lose a pants size? Yes. Would I go back in time and just not lose weight instead of losing inches in my hips slowly? No. It was worth it! :-)

edited to add: After that though, I was down a pants size every other week for awhile and shopping got expensive! :laugh:

My point is, Just hang in there! You'll get to your goal size in time. You're doing great so far, by the way! :bigsmile:
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Im 5'71/2" and weigh in at 237 right now. depending on the pants i wear, i can fluctuate anywhere from a 18-24! Its crazy! But in general, it usually takes me about 15-20 pounds to need to go to a lower size. Hope this helps!
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    I think it all depends, I've lost almost all my weight in my legs (so I unfortunately look like two different bodies merged together) So I went from an 18 to an 8 after 40 pounds.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    I think it all depends, I've lost almost all my weight in my legs (so I unfortunately look like two different bodies merged together) So I went from an 18 to an 8 after 40 pounds.

Wow, an 8 would be amazing! You're an inspiration! Thanks for the info everyone! By no means am I giving up, but I'm ready for some visual results instead of just the number on the scale going down.