New chicken ideas??

Options
mbeuchert24
mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
Okay, I need some help. I just pulled chicken breasts out of the freezer. But I need ideas on what to do with it tonight. There is no way we can buy anything else right now so I have to make due with what we have on hand.

Beans (black & pinto)
Rotel tomatoes & green chile
Rice (rice is over done in our house)
Boxed potatoes (scalloped, au gratin & mashed)
Veggies (Green beens and mixed - California blend I think)
Corn on the Cob
BBQ sauce
Oatmeal

And of course other staple type items.

Replies

• rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Grilled BBQ chicken with corn on the cob and one of your veggies. YUM!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Grill the chicken and make a "topper" with the beans corn and tomatoes! Add your spices and even some bbq. Maybe add some southwestern type spices to your veggies (I would choose the california blend) Unless you have a salad. Or rice n beans are always tastey (I'd chose the black and keep the juices and add cumin and coriander if you have it)

Or I know you said rice is over down, but you can cook the rice (I always do mine in a stock) and sautee up the veggies and add it to the rice for something different.
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Put it in the crockpot with taco seasoning, rotel, blackbeans, corn, serve over rice or in tortillas with a little fat free cheese and sour cream or guacamole. Have had this and love it!!
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I like to mix mustard & a little honey together & put on chicken for a change of pace once in a while. Or I like the BBQ chicken w/ corn on cob & mixed veggies. You can mix some of the rotel in w/ the mixed veggies & top w/ a bit of parmesan cheese.
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Do you have garlic and onions? If so, bake the chicken breasts, and saute the garlic and onions. Chop it all up and mix it with the tomato chile stuff, pour over cooked rice.

Also, if you don't have fresh garlic just add powdered or garlic salt vs sauteed garlic.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    you can make a casserole with cooked chicken cut up mixed with the cauliflower and broccoli blend, add a can of cream of broccoli, if you have it, if not some other sauce type of soup or just milk, or chicken broth. you can also put 1 or 2 cups rice on the bottom, but you would have to double the water for it. 1 cup of rice = two cups of water or if it is instant then follow the instructions. I havnt made this because i like to cook on the stove top or with the bbq when it is hot but i have made something like this on the stove and then i top the rice or noodles with it. taste good. season with what you like.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas and refried beans would be yummy. If you don't have a grill handy, you can cook the chicken in a skillet. Just spice it up with garlic, onion, plenty of cumin, and a little lime juice if you have it. Cook sliced onions and bell peppers if you have them in the skillet when the chicken is done. If you don't have any tortillas, they are fairly quick and easy to make. (Here's a recipe with lots of pictures: http://whatscookingamerica.net/CynthiaPineda/Tortilla/TortillaMaking.htm)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Okay, I need some help. I just pulled chicken breasts out of the freezer. But I need ideas on what to do with it tonight. There is no way we can buy anything else right now so I have to make due with what we have on hand.

Beans (black & pinto)
    Rotel tomatoes & green chile
    Rice (rice is over done in our house)
    Boxed potatoes (scalloped, au gratin & mashed)
    Veggies (Green beens and mixed - California blend I think)
    Corn on the Cob
    BBQ sauce
    Oatmeal

And of course other staple type items.

I'd use the beans (either or both) chicken, rotel and corn (cut off the cob) to make a great taco salad or wrap (if you have wraps or lettuce/greens). If not, I'd serve over rice with a side of green beans. But then I will almost always go for a spicy bean and rice dish.

Have you tried the Rotel with habanero. I love those!!