DIet Soda.... Do or DoNot?

Options

Replies

• Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda, but I definitely notice a difference when I don't drink it. I'm a lot less bloated.

Same experience. I also find that I want more junk when I drink diet soda. For that reason, I should avoid diet soda. However, everyone is different. You should decide how the beverage makes you feel.

Another thought - if in doubt - leave it out.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Huh! I have a friend that got a parasite from drinking water from her well. She almost died. hmm!
  • LadyPHX
    LadyPHX Posts: 52
    Options
    OP, the choice is yours. There are plenty of reasons not to drink it, and some to drink it. The only reason that matters is yours. Remember what you put in your body is what you get back. It may agree with some people, but it may not agree with you. It's just liquid candy, sugared or sugar 'free'.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda, but I definitely notice a difference when I don't drink it. I'm a lot less bloated.

Same experience. I also find that I want more junk when I drink diet soda. For that reason, I should avoid diet soda. However, everyone is different. You should decide how the beverage makes you feel.

Another thought - if in doubt - leave it out.

That is a great suggestion! BTW I spell my name the same as you. Don't see that much!
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    No soda AT ALL. Just because some don't have sugar, doesn't mean they don't have lots of other stuff that can hinder your weight loss (high fructose corn syrup for example).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Diet soda doesn't contain more than 1 calorie. Excessive calories cause weight gain. Drink up. I have at least 3 Diet Pepsi a day.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    There's a soda called Zevia that uses Stevia as a sweetener.
    Stevia is a plant extract (from the stevia plant), not created in a lab. I just bought a small bottle of organic stevia powder from Amazon. There is a spoon in the bottle that scoops an amount that is literally one half the size of a pea. I added that to a big glass of water, added some lemon juice, and I had a decent glass of lemonade. It's supposed to be 100-300 times sweeter than sugar.
  • szqnva
    szqnva Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was severely addicted to Diet Coke and I saw nothing wrong with it. I had not drank regular soda in years because I refuse to drink calories. However, my appetite was getting out of control and thoughI had successfully dieted in the past I just could not get back on the wagon this time. I gave up diet soda - or pop (when in rome...:smile: ), and I can tell you I am back on the wagon for my 2nd week now and I have to remind myself to eat where I initially had to make myself stick to the scheduled eating and snacking times. I have done a lot of googling on the topic and they seem to be of the opinion that over time it makes you gain more weight and I would have to agree. I am now exercising, doing MFP religiously, and giving more time to prayer and study and I have found myself far less hungry and more fulfilled than ever so I am not changing one single thing.

I would suggest giving it up and maybe allowing yourself to have one every now and then if you must. I gave up artificial sweetner altogether except for Stevia in my cofee - I just can't do black coffee. There is also a natural line like Crystal light called Hansen's Fruit Stix. I drink that when I want more than water, but it's mostly water.

I have been back on the wagon since last Tuesday and I am down 4lbs so far...

All the best to you - sorry if that was too long :smile:

I totally agree!!! There are several studies out showing that artificial sweeteners cause your body to feel as though it is hungry, when you're really not. Thereby causing you to eat more. And there are so many foods out there besides soda that are now using artificial sweeteners. I've started using stevia also - just can't do black coffee :) - and I'm definitely noticing a difference in the way I feel. I'll keep my eyes open for Hansen's Fruit Stix!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I drank diet sodas for nearly 40 years. I was addicted to diet Dr. Pepper. I was getting really sick a lot (which I later attributed to living in an old musty house) and the sodas were really messing with my sinuses and digestion. The carbination became a problem for me and I finally kicked the habit. I feel so much better now and I will only drink a diet soda occasionally when I go out, about once every couple of weeks and only if they don't have plain iced tea.

I replaced my old vice with a new one, diet green tea. I doubt that this is healthy either. I am trying to limit myself to two 16 oz drinks a day and add in more water. I noticed they seem to be changing the formula. It used to have aspartame and now it has sucralose. The more I read, the more confused I get. I don't have a clue which one is better for you, but I am guessing that water is the best.
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    I choose not to drink soda at all. It's been 3 years now. Don't miss it! Occasionally I'll have a Hansen's Root Beer for a root beer float :)
  • Ctyndall81
    Ctyndall81 Posts: 34
    Options
    They (whoever they are) claim that artifical sweetners can cause stomach upset, gas, and more cravings for sweets then regular suger. I do notice that these are true statements for myself and choose to avoid them as much as possible but I will enjoy a diet or sugar free item once in awhile. Moderation to anything is key! Man made chemical produced anything can't be good for you all the time. In my opinion give it up for now and when you are used to it being a thing of the past enjoy once in awhile. Expecially if this is something that you do often and want to lose weight faster. Anything you remove or change that your body is used to will help speed up your weight loss. Good luck to you! PS. Ask your doctor what they think about it! Might be a good start. :)
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have at least one a day. I also drink several cups of coffee a day. And I drink 120-160 ounces of water a day. Do what you are comfortable with.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get cancer.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to drink it, don't. If you do want it, and don't experience any bad side effects (I know some folks get headaches from it), then drink up.

I drink one a day, but that one might be a 12 oz can or a 24 oz bottle.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I still drink it, just watch what you put in your body don't use diet coke as an excuse to eat things you shouldn't like sweets.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I gave it up b/c I felt it was preventing me from drinking enough plain water. And I was at a plateau and thought it couldn't hurt to cut out the artificial sweeteners and the sodium. That was back in March. And if I even TRY to drink a can of soda now, I can't even finish it. I think my body's happy that I gave it up.
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    NO DIET SODA! I swear it made me fatter in the end. The artificial sweetner causes you to crave and be hungry more often. I'll be if you look at your previous way of eating you will find diet soda and high amounts of carbohydrates. The bad ones......run ........
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda and coffee EVERYDAY. But I also drink tons of water daily...at least 2 bottles of water for every soda. I am maintaining 56 pounds lost and still counting...Good luck on your journey :-)
  • gumbykevbo
    gumbykevbo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like the fizzy but don't care for artificial sweeteners, and most soda is WAY sweeter than I want. At my costco they have crystal springs brand fizzy water (I can't think of the actual name) with a light flavor and no sweetener. It is zero calorie and no artificial sweetener. They come in a variety pack of lemon, lime, orange, and berry flavors. The berry is OK, but I would stick to citrus flavors if I could buy them seperately.
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    As someone who has worked in the weight loss industry, I have found that diet soda drinkers tend to have more cravings for sweets and things than non-diet soda drinkers.

Personally, any bit of artificial sweetener gives me migraines. I avoid it at all costs!