whte wine vinegar?

Options
Jennloella
Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
looking over a WebMD article on diet tips to lower cholesterol, I read this : "Instead of using butter to keep your pan moist while cooking, use white wine vinegar. It doesn't change the flavor of foods and doesn't add fat" I have white wine vinegar, I use it to saute pasta and in stir fry, but given the smell of it, can it really not change the flavor food? Like substituting it for butter, what comes to mind is, eggs, pancakes, french toast......that can't possibly be good, right? anyone use this stuff outside of sauces?

Replies

• Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Bump... I would like to know the answer too!!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    well if it does change the taste try low sodium chicken broth and a oil pump sprayer.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I use broth to keep it all moist. The pump sprayer is a GREAT idea.

I would imagine that the article is referring to savory dishes, not things like pancakes that would act like a sponge for that flavoring.
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't know about using vinegar, but I would say if you are trying to avoid cholesterol try using canola oil in a mister to keep things from sticking in your pan. This is what we use for things like pancakes and pretty much everything else. If you don't have a sprayer you can also just use a papertowl to wipe oil in the pan.

If you try the vinegar please post back how it works.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll actually try the vinegar on anything except what I already do, I was just wondering what everyone else took away from their blanket statement that it could replace butter and "doesn't" change the flavoring of food.....I can taste it whenever I use it!