Protein Powder/ Kidney Stones

Options
http://proteinpowdersideeffects.com/

The More Common Protein Powder Side Effects

We all know that a good amount of protein in the diet is needed for healthy muscles, and it is absolutely essential if trying to build more muscle. If you are embarking on a tough work out regime, sometimes it is difficult to take in as much protein as is needed through “real” food alone; this is of course where powders and meal replacement bars come in. However, it is unfortunate, but protein powder side effects do sometimes occur.

There are clearly multiple different brands of protein on the market. The most common two types you are likely to have come across are whey and soy. There are differences in the biological values of the two types, with whey protein coming from animal sources, but whey protein powder side effects are essentially the same as soy protein powder side effects.

It should be noted that, unless a person is allergic to one of the ingredients, ingesting moderate amounts of protein powder is unlikely to cause any side effects. The best way to ensure that you do no damage to your body is to follow the manufacturer’s instructions – there is a recommended amount to ingest, which is often spread throughout the day or consumed before and after a workout, and this amount will differ depending on the user’s initial body weight (clearly as a person’s mass is increased, his daily protein needs will also increase). It is also important to remember that, whilst there are certain brands of meal replacement drinks available, you should not attempt to live on them; a protein powder side effects boost can be reduced by consuming nutrients from real food too.

The most common side effect likely to be encountered when taking whey protein is digestive problems, and this is especially true if you are lactose intolerant. If whey powder causes you problems, it is advisable to switch to isolate, which contains up to 5 times less lactose. This is usually tolerated much more by lactose intolerant people, but if it continues to cause problems, you may consider switching to soy or even hemp powder (note that hemp protein powder side effects also exist, so switching to this variety is not a reason to consume more than you need to).

Protein powder side effects excess is caused by consuming too much protein each day. Remember that your kidneys have to process all of the nutrients that you consume and protein powder is specially made to be easily absorbed. This means that consuming too much can put a great strain on your kidneys.

This can cause two problems:

The first is that too much protein in the kidneys will increase the acidity level of your blood; this reacts with the calcium in your body and makes the bones weaker – increasing your muscle mass at the same time as weakening your bones is an easy way to injury yourself badly.

The second is the extremely painful condition of kidney stones. If you think recovering after a tough workout hurts, try developing kidney stones. It is clearly something you want to avoid and just another reason to consume only the recommended intake of protein each day.

Protein powder side effects are real, but as discussed, it should be remembered that they usually only develop when the user consumes far too much. If you are a beginner at the gym, the best way to gauge is to see how much weight you gain each week. A beginner, who follows a good workout schedule and leaves enough rest time between workouts, can expect to gain about 1 to 1.5 pounds per week. If you find that you are not, gradually increase your protein intake.

http://www.projectswole.com/diet/what-are-the-side-effects-of-protein-powder/

Excess Protein

Your kidneys will have a very hard digesting too much of any protein. Excess protein is responsible for two reactions in the body:
Your blood will turn acidic.
Your blood pH should be in the 7.0 range. When blood becomes very acidic, the body must correct itself by making your blood more basic. The most basic available element in your body is calcium (showing off my college degree here). Your bones will release calcium into your blood, which will then bond to the acidic byproducts of the protein, turning your blood back to a neutral level. Goodbye healthy bones, hello osteoporosis.
You could develop kidney stones.
That doesn’t sound too bad, until you realize that your body is going to need to remove those little calcium deposits that are floating around in your blood. These calcium deposits end up in your kidneys to await your next trip to the restroom. I’m sure you have heard of kidney stones and now you know one of their causes. Ouch! Be sure to limit your initial intake of protein in order to ensure your body responds to well to it.

Read more: http://www.projectswole.com/diet/what-are-the-side-effects-of-protein-powder/#ixzz1S64xLmp7

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've read that our kidneys can efficiently process 200-300 grams of protein per day. This makes perfect sense.
  • fateschild
    fateschild Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I have been using hemp powder to keep my protein up while on a soft food diet. I only take the recommended amount per day so I am sure that I am ok. But it is always nice to stay informed.
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I have had a kidney stone and was in the hospital for it. I only have 1 scoop of whey protein after my worksouts. But i thought I would add that kidney stones are more caused from drinking soda which leeks calcium out and to much sodium! that was the cause of mine!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info :-) However the amount of protein seen as too much by the body is surprisingly high and it would take a great deal of effort to get your intake so high that it starts to cause problems.

One of the simplest ways to tell if you are consuming too much is from your urine: http://www.urinecolors.com/protein_in_urine.php
    The site shows things to look out for and if you experience that regularly then it just means your body cannot fully digest that amount of protein, so you cut down and it should be fine :-)

I'm consuming usually between 150 and 200g a day, doing alot of strength training and this amount is fine for me, no problems.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Good info. I would add that the "safe" level will vary a little with your hydration levels, if you are habitually underhydrated your kidneys are going to have trouble with even lower amounts of protein. Water is King!