Not losing weight

Options
I weighed in for the first time in two weeks today and was extremely disappointed to see no change on the scale. I thought I was doing everything right: staying under my calorie goal, working out 4-5 times a week, switching up cardio and weights. Any advice on what is wrong?

I'm in a competition with some coworkers (who all claim to not be dieting or trying) and they lost this week and I didn't - when I've been starving for weeks!! So discouraging.

Replies

• voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Meaning are you eating at least your food calories and not your workout calories? Also, how intense are you working out, how many calories are you burning per exercise?

You might not be eating enough. Simple as that.
  • veggiepug
    veggiepug Posts: 82
    Options
    You say you're staying under your calorie goal and that you are "starving." Perhaps you're not eating enough, especially since you're working out so much. I know it seems counterintuitive to eat more to lose weight, but your body need good, healthy food to fuel it. I can't see your food diary, so we have no way of know how much you are eating. If you open it up people can make suggestions. How many calories are you netting every day?
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Eating less doesn't mean you'll be losing weight, especially when you're doing weights. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're gaining muscle, you're losing fat, but not exactly losing weight. Also, drink lots of water, and don't starve yourself. Eat 2-3 hours a day 6 times a day or every 3-4 hours 4-5 times a day. It helps your metabolism a lot. Keep it at it, and don't give up!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so we can see it. Alot depends on what you are eating!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    if your net isn't reading over 1200 you're not eating enough, simple as that. I does sound stupid and counterproductive, but sometimes in order to lose more you need to eat more. I've experienced it firsthand so I know. If you aren't eating enough your body will freak out and hold onto EVERYTHING for fear of starving to death... it's entirely possible this is your problem... If you aren't eating back your exercise calories, start... I bet you'll see a difference...
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options

This :-)
  • voluptas63
    Options
    FYI, Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of feathers. But if you look at it, you're going to have a whole lot more feathers than muscle:) Muscle is simply denser, allowing more muscle into a space where fat would "overflow".

Muscle does not weigh more than fat.
  • kmr429
    kmr429 Posts: 5
    Options
    My workouts vary between 400-1000 calories although I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of heart rate monitor. I seem to net between 300-1200 a day, again varying greatly depending on my workouts. I feel like I'm losing weight, my clothes are baggier - it's just not reflecting that way on the scale.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I agree with blueshred. Eating every 3 hours or so and eating lots of lean protein and fewer carbs has helped me.

Also, you might want to consider measuring inches instead of (or with) pounds. If you're gaining muscle you won't lose pounds on a scale, but you'll sure as heck be losing inches and firming up (which I think is even better than losing pounds!)

And...just keep swimming, just keep swimming...:wink:

You got this!
  • voluptas63
    Options
    You need to eat more. 100% that is your "problem". Try eating your food calories and then 1/3 of your heavy work out calories. When you're burning than many calories, you need food to help your body heal. You also may be retaining water as muscles use water to repair.

Keep working out though! What HRM are you using? I use a Polar F6 and have found it to be extremely accurate.
  • kmr429
    kmr429 Posts: 5
    Options
    I think I've got my diary open now. I really appreciate all of the outpouring of help!! Definitely helping my esteem. And now I'm regretting throwing away my breakfast because I was mad at my weigh-in results...guess I needed those calories for my metabolism!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I've never been so hungry in my life! I'm barely keeping in my calorie goal so I know I'm not starving myself, luckily i'm upping my excercise enough to keep me just hungry and not ravenous enough to look at my cat and think "meat" lol But still...NOTHING! So I know how dissapointing it is. Are you drinking your 8 glasses of water a day? And i that new? That's what's done me I think. I switched from carbonated drinks at the same time and my body seems to have gone "WATER!!!!!!!!!" and retained it all! That and good ole mother natures gift...now I'm finally seeing a drop in my weight, but it went up first so I've actually only lost -1 that is to say, I'm 1lb heavier than I was when I started and it's entirely water retention!
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I say up your protein significantly. And do you take a rest day? You need one of those.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary- your net has been under (and in some cases way under) 1200. 95% sure that's your problem. If your body doesn't have faith that you'll feed it enough to survive than it's not going to want to lose weight.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    FYI, Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of feathers. But if you look at it, you're going to have a whole lot more feathers than muscle:) Muscle is simply denser, allowing more muscle into a space where fat would "overflow".

Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

Exactly!
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost hardly anything but a lb in the last couple weeks. And I've been hitting net or under.

However this am I measured a few spots and sure enough, I'm shrinking. So it's all good I guess.

This is the thing I hate about some "competitions". When it's all about the scale, it's not always showing all the results.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    I think I've got my diary open now. I really appreciate all of the outpouring of help!! Definitely helping my esteem. And now I'm regretting throwing away my breakfast because I was mad at my weigh-in results...guess I needed those calories for my metabolism!

Awww that sucks....but I totally feel your pain!
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    1200 calories? Since you're doing weight and doing lots of cardio, your body needs a lot more than 1200 calories daily! I recommend upping it to at most 2000 calories. I'm cutting right now, so I'm at 2200, but when I do a clean bulk I'm probably going to try and hit 2700. Eat lots of lean protein, sub out the sweetener with brown sugar (sweeteners sometimes contain Aspartame, which has bad health effects). Drink more water too. :)
  • veggiepug
    veggiepug Posts: 82
    Options
    Looking at your diary I definitely think you need to eat more. I also see a lot of empty calories. Are you eating any fresh fruits and veggies? I'm a former WW member so I try to go by their guidelines of 5 servings a day. Snack of fresh fruit - it will fill you up more than processed stuff and you'll get in few fruit servings. Bulk up your meals with veggies. You'll get more "bang for your buck" calorie-wise if you eat more fresh produce.