Home made frappuccino--approx. 60 calories

Options
hng2101
hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
I've been experimenting with making home made frappuccino recipes all week and I think finally got it right!

1 1/4 cup of coffee brewed
1 packet of via hot (any flavor, I chose tribute because I brewed tribute blend too)
2 tablespoons Hershey chocolate syrup light
2 packets of splenda
milk to taste (I add barely a splash of nonfat milk because I like my coffee black usually)
8-10 ice cubes (add more or less to get the consistency you like)
Light whipped cream

Make sure you add the splenda and via while the coffee is still hot. Let the coffee/via/splenda mix cool down (or stick in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes). Once cooled, add the coffee mixture, milk to taste, the chocolate syrup and the ice in the blender, top with whipped cream and viola!

The trick was the via--other recipes I tried were super weak tasting because the ice, chocolate, sugar, and milk drowned out the coffee. I MAY be wired all day but it was worth the week long experimenting.

Replies

• twistedsista0408
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I can't wait to try this!
  • spinurbuttoff
    Options
    what is Via?
  • hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Via is starbuck's instant coffee individual packets. They come in packages of 10 or 12 in varied flavors. if you want the frappuccino flavored, Via comes in cinnamon, caramel, vanilla--a bunch of different flavors, all around 5-10 calories :-)
  • Diojoeboe
    Diojoeboe Posts: 1
    Options
    Via is Starbucks instant coffee mix (modern Sanca) - they sell it in packets. Huge in europe, Americans are still iffy on the concept.
  • spinurbuttoff
    Options
    Via is starbuck's instant coffee individual packets. They come in packages of 10 or 12 in varied flavors. if you want the frappuccino flavored, Via comes in cinnamon, caramel, vanilla--a bunch of different flavors, all around 5-10 calories :-)
    awesome! Thank you I can't wait to try!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing recipes for home made frappes and they're making me want one! And I'm an ex-barista, so I won't be making it the 60 calories way!
  • megan4487
    megan4487 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    sounds great...cant wait to try it
  • nfprox
    nfprox Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try cold brewing the coffee and using it instead of coffee plus Via. Much smoother and over 60% less acid than hot brew, and stronger. I'm hooked on cold brew! Here's how to do it on the cheap (without a cold brew apparatus): http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/perfect-iced-coffee/

So easy. 16 oz. of coffee to 8 quarts of water for a big batch (can store in the fridge up to 2 weeks); I brew it by putting 4 oz. of coffee in a jar and adding 2 quarts of water, just let it sit on the counter for 15 hours, strain through a sieve with a cheesecloth (from the grocery store) lining it, pour into a pitcher/bottle/whatever.

I'm going to use mine with the other ingredients in your yummy recipe! Thanks for posting it!