Sleepy after exercise???

Options
I normally work out 4-5 times a week. It usually consists of 30-45 minute treadmill at a speed of 3.0 and incline up to 10. I'll also do resistance bands every other day. If I go to the gym I'll usually do 30 min treadmill and 30 min bike and maybe some strength training. After my workout I start to fell tired a couple of hours later and all I want to do is go to sleep? Does anyone feel this way after their workout?

Replies

• Chamorrita
    Options
    I normally work out 4-5 times a week. It usually consists of 30-45 minute treadmill at a speed of 3.0 and incline up to 10. I'll also do resistance bands every other day. If I go to the gym I'll usually do 30 min treadmill and 30 min bike and maybe some strength training. After my workout I start to fell tired a couple of hours later and all I want to do is go to sleep? Does anyone feel this way after their workout?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yea, that's normal. It's a specific nervous system coming back to the forefront, it makes you feel relaxed and sleepy and increases digestion and slows HR...it basically brings you back down to normal after you're in an excited state during exercise. Make sure you're getting enough water and proper post-workout nutrition too.
  • Elizabetnelson
    Options
    Yea, that's normal. It's a specific nervous system coming back to the forefront, it makes you feel relaxed and sleepy and increases digestion and slows HR...it basically brings you back down to normal after you're in an excited state during exercise. Make sure you're getting enough water and proper post-workout nutrition too.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if there is something wrong with me then? I always feel energized and ready to walk a marathon after workouts! I feel like I can do anything!
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I am the same way. I feel so tired afterwards I just want to lay down and go to sleep. I asked my hubby and he says he feels the same way so that made me feel better. He's really fit so I knew if he's tired no big deal that I am.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if there is something wrong with me then? I always feel energized and ready to walk a marathon after workouts! I feel like I can do anything!

Perhaps it's depending on the part of the day you workout?

I normally do early morning workouts to utilize my energy and mornings seem to work best for me...for a number of reasons.

This week and for the past several I've taken a 6pm water class and it leaves me having a difficult time unwinding, tougher time falling asleep (evening are just not my time for excercise I think)....I find myself with way to much energy and the house ends up quite clean each week. Weds of this week will be my last evening workout as one of my fav. instructors is needing to drop her p.m classes. :sad:

I much prefer daytime workouts but really have met some great folks and her so I'll finish up with her and then head back to my daytime buds.:happy:

When I first began working out I would be so exausted I would come home and take a nap...I think a good part of the reason is the chlorine ...I just plain wasn't used to so many chemicals and it exausted me, plus I was new to using many of my muscles.

The strength training days I am quite fatigued but my body is doing something entirely different than with water aerobics. When I really push I too am quite tired after those classes as well. I don't go take a nap or anything but I definitely can feel I have worked my body hard....and it does feel good to feel fatigued and sore muscles..... mmmm

To know you've not only learned to eat well but to work your body as well....what a wonderful place to be...can't imagine ever going back.:drinker: No bite of anything is worth the feeling I have now after a hard workout.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Some people get amped up from workouts, others get relaxed. Most people I know have more energy, but I'm with you... after working out I'm ready for bed. Haha... which is why I usually workout in the evening. It just relaxes me, and makes me feel like I just had a full body massage or something.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Actually, I feel a little of both, but more on the 'high/elated but relaxed' side. Any way you cut it, it's wonderful.
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Actually, I feel a little of both, but more on the 'high/elated but relaxed' side. Any way you cut it, it's wonderful.

Same here - but mostly I fell good tired and sleep better, which is a desired outcome.
    When I don't exercise for a few days I am miserable.

I found that drinking anti-oxidant drinks when feeling tired some hours after W/O helps to c"come back on line". I drink Yogy Anti-oxydant drink without cofeine...seems to help but not make me sleepless.

Anyway - you are absolutely normal!
    Keep at it!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Yes but I dont mind it since I workout in the evenings so it gets me ready for bed and I sleep better at night and have more energy the next day.
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    I am always very sleepy after working out. My husband is the opposite he cant get wound down if he works out at night.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I can go both ways I noticed that working out later in the afternoon seems to make me sleepy but the early morning works outs rev me up.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I work out in the afternoons. I'm usually energized for a little while. Depending on my food choice and my workout, I will sometimes crash, like today. Today was 45 min of zumba followed by a pasta lunch. I'm crashing hard right now, struggling to keep my eyes open!