water!

Options
Water consumption. How much difference does it make in terms of weight loss. I'm so bad about getting water in. I drink 2-5 glasses today and I guess I'm just worried that its hindered my progress. (I'm trying!) Personal experiences, anyone?

Replies

• BusyNikki
    BusyNikki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think Dr. Oz said 3 litters a day. Check his website for the rite answer...
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You body will get rid of the weight you lose through your urine. If you aren't drinking enough water it can hinder you losing weight.... Get your 8 glasses in. It will make a difference.
  • carneyk
    carneyk Posts: 4
    Options
    As a bariatric surgery pt I agree you must get as much water as you can! If you are peeing like crazy, your body has enough for that day. If not, keep drinking!! Your body will let you know if you need more if you listen! :)
  • lnsmith08
    lnsmith08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just so you know it's 8 cups not 8 glasses. So if you're drinking 4 tall glasses per day, you're probably hitting your 8 cups! Yay YOU!
  • thefishers4
    thefishers4 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 8-12 glasses a day. Sometimes I do a little bit of lemon in it to help me drink more.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Yes it makes a big difference, 64 oz min is best.

If water is an issue any Non Carbonated, No Cafeine, No Sugar beverage can be counted as water!

Good Luck!
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The Board revisited the question of water consumption in 2004. Its panel on "dietary preference intakes for electrolytes and water" noted that women who appear adequately hydrated consume about 91 ounces (2.7 liters) of water a day and men about 125 ounces (3.7 liters). These seemingly large quantities come from a variety of sources—including coffee, tea, milk, soda, juice, fruits, vegetables and other foods. Instead of recommending how much extra water a person should drink to maintain health, the panel simply concluded that "the vast majority of healthy people adequately meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide."

taken from
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
  • AlishaDynoske
    Options
    Always 'water' your diet! You should be drinking 8 - 8oz glasses of water a day!
  • kitkat1781
    kitkat1781 Posts: 72
    Options
    I can relate...I used to be horrible at drinking water!!! I'd never drink more than 2-3 small glasses / day. Then two things happened. First, I gave up soda all together. Not sure what other drinks you consume during the day, but if you replace even one or two of those with water, that will help. The other thing I started doing was drinking "infused" water. Basically, it's just a fancy name for cutting stuff up and putting it in your water. I use lemons, cucumbers, basil, limes, pretty much whatever you want. Just slice up whatever you like and put it in the water. It gives the water a slight taste so it's less boring that plain water. I've found that since I started doing those two things, I'm consistently around 10-12 cups / day.
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options
    Water in food counts as well. I've never consumed 8 8 ounce glasses of water in a day (unless lots of outdoor activity), I don't get dehydration headaches, I've lost 20 pounds since March and I'm never thirsty. By the way, I live in the high mountain desert at 4500 feet with very low relative humidity.

Running to the bathroom every 20 minutes is good exercise, but does not help me lose weight any faster. Listen to your body.
  • Finney88
    Finney88 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You body will get rid of the weight you lose through your urine. If you aren't drinking enough water it can hinder you losing weight.... Get your 8 glasses in. It will make a difference.

Is this true? Does your body really urinate the weight you are losing? I've never heard this before.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Is this true? Does your body really urinate the weight you are losing? I've never heard this before.

No its not true
  • cathynicolette
    cathynicolette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I heard on the radio that in order to lose weight you should drink half your weight in ounces. I weigh just under 180 so I would drink at least 90 ounces. Any one else hear this? try this? I have a hard time drinking water. If there is another option, I'll take it. I'm doing my best to drink a cup of coffee in the morning a diet soda in the evening, if I must, and water during the day.
  • Erica1965
    Erica1965 Posts: 36
    Options
    http://www.kraftbrands.com/mio/

without this, I couldn't drink water! I love this product! No calories, no sodium.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a 1L waterbottle at my desk at work. 1L between 8-12, lunch from 12-12:30, 1L between 12:30-4. Bam - 8 cups. :)

Bonus, they're renovating our bathroom, so I have to walk all the way to another department to flush it all out!