Exercise ALONE and on a BUDGET :-/

Options
I am doing well with my diet but I really need to start exercising. I am on a strict budget so I can't afford to join a gym. I do have an elliptical, ab lounger, gazelle, and small exercise stuff like bands, balls, dum-bells, and even P90X. However, I don't have anyone to exercise with and doing it alone is so hard. I don't seem to be able to find the motivation to do it on my own. In my mind, I know I need to do it, but there is always and excuse I can come up with. I seem to be very lazy when it comes to this part of my weight loss plan. If any one has any words of encouragement or suggestion, I could seriously use it. I am currently at 201 and would like to get down to a healthy 130 so I have a long journey ahead of me.

Replies

• MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We are all here to help you! I like to post how many reps I do and miles logged, LOVE it when my MFP friends comment on it. Feel free to add me.
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home alone as well. Look at the challenges on here and join 1 or 2. That helps motivate me! I am currently in a challenge to burn 10,000 cal this month.. So...if I want to slack off I don't because I know I'm going to have to post totals at the end of the week. I also run... I have learned to love running alone.. It allows me to clear my mind and get outdoors.. It's definitely doable..You just have to make up your mind and use all the tools for support that MFP provides!! Blessing to you!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    All of the exercising I do is alone and free :)
    I'm a big fan of jogging (I've heard great things about Couch25K) and jump rope - jumping rope burns SO many calories. Throw some music on and just jump. :)

Personally, I talk to myself while I workout...but not in a crazy way. If I'm trying to sprint up a hill or want to quite I just say "come on girl you can do it, you just have to get that far, just think of what you'll look like when it's over" and by the time I finish all my motivational blabber, I'm already up the hill.

You CAN do it. :) Also, I find it helps for me to focus on exercise one day at a time. It's easier for me to say okay, I'll jump rope for 10 minutes today, it's only 10 minutes than for me to say I'm going to do 200 minutes of exercise this week or something. That's scary. Each day is not. :)

Good luck!
  • fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from, I am going through the same thing. I have lost 55 lbs from eating better and trying to get some exercise, but I have to do it alone too, am on a budget and also have a few workout things at home. But I am so lazy and unable to get motivated enough to exercise.... so hopefully we can both get on track and do better with it all. Good luck!
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have a website I check into called www.bodyrock.tv It's a husband and wife couple that post daily workouts, discussions about fitness and diet, and they even now have a section that challenges you to look into the emotional side of getting healthy. Check it out, most workouts can be done without anything but yourself. They do suggest a jump rope or using things around the house for the routines that need items to accomplish. I've done some of their interval training workouts and it's hard core but good stuff.

www.bodyrock.tv
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    www.exercise.com has completely free workout routines. It is my main source of exercise! There are lots of us who are in the same boat with you. Good luck!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If you start doing a little each day, it will become a habit for you, and your body will crave it when you go to skip a day. It releases so many feel good endorphins and is so good for your health. Perhaps try rewarding or restricting yourself based on getting it done. No TV or computer unless 30 minutes is completed each day. Or a healthy yummy snack when 30 minutes is completed each day. And don't forget, the more you work out, the more you can eat! :-)
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    well, you've plugged in here and that's the first step. I exercise alone too, and it IS hard to find the motivation some days. Depending on your daily schedule, find the time of day that works best for you, and do SOMEthing. The habit is the first trick. Don't try it on a full stomach, do it before a mealtime and you'll find it'll curb your appetite too.

Maybe start small - like 20 minutes of circuit training - think the 30DayShred - fast results if you stick with it. All you need are some decent shoes and the DVD. You'll get addicted to results and hopefully snowball from there. Try new things so you don't get bored, get some good music, and treat yourself once in a while. Track calories, this site is an awesome help for that.

good luck
  • rgutie1
    rgutie1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think all you need is a tv or radio, something to distract you as you work out.

I cant even count the number of times I have stayed on a machine at the gym so that I could finish watching a show.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I love workout alone. Tried to do P90x with someone, it become too hard due to different schedule, and less flexibility to choose what I like to do. Put on some music while you workout, it might help you get your mind off needing someone doing it with you.
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Oh...I do Jackie Warner Circuit training DVD's. They are short and power packed... $10 at Walmart. I am also just over half through the C25K.. You have a small gym at your house though.. You just need the commradre and support you will find here..
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    I moved my elliptical into my spare bedroom and started watching TV while I exercise. I figure if I'm going to watch TV anyways, I might as well be working out too! Obviously this doesn't work for every workout...but it does for my elliptical. Plus, I'm usually surprised to realize how much I'm sweating since it always sneaks up on me! I get involved in the show and stop watching the timer or cals burnt or distance...it's been working for me :) Hope that helps!
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i loved p90x. but motivation is hard. I made a deal with myself... Get up in the am eat a small apple or handful of nuts (fuel for the workout) and i could not eat my full breakfast until i completed my workout... if i was having a hard time getting moving... id make myself whole wheat pancakes as a reward.... only healthy food rewards but i love food so my inner 5 year old was easily bribed! lol

Good luck. feel free to add me!
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Had to peek at your profile, but your a mom, look at your exercise time as YOUR quiet time. Tha'ts what I do. I'm around kids all day, ( I also work as a daycare provider), so for me the time I spend outside walking, or early in the morning lifting weights (at home) is MY time, no kids, no husband, no noise, just me, I look forward to the peace and quiet!!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    the ymca is cheap..plus they can go on salary and perhaps get a lower price. its cheap anyways..i dont get any deal but i only pay 54 a month for two people.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    That is why it is important to add friends for the support. I feel the same way. I am also on budget. I actually walk at the mall in the early morning. I am going to have to invest in some weights and bands and a couple of videos. I am going to add you as my friend. I would love to give you your pats on the back as I know you deserve it.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a lot of exercise equipment at your house... invite some friends over to work out on your equipment if you can't afford to go to a gym... I have an elliptical and a stationary bike... we have been not so great the last couple weeks... but one of my friends comes over every monday and we watch extreme makeover weight loss edition and worked out while we were watching... put a tv in front of your exercise equipment... it will help you work out longer :)
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Im also working out at home by myself. You seem to have all the tools you need to succeed, just not the motivation to actually get up and use them! I was the same way!! Getting started on a workout routine is the hardest part. What I did was make a 12 week chart of exercises to do. Everyday that I did an exercise I marked in on the chart.
    Start off small. Maybe your first weeks goal should be to do the elliptical for 10 minutes every Mon, Wed, Fri and bands on Tues & Thurs. Get what I mean? Youll begin to get in the habit of working out in no time! When I started, I was only able to do the elliptical for 15 minutes. Now I can go 50 minutes without stopping. :)
    Hope this helps!!!
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    All of the exercising I do is alone and free :)
    I'm a big fan of jogging (I've heard great things about Couch25K) and jump rope - jumping rope burns SO many calories. Throw some music on and just jump. :)

Personally, I talk to myself while I workout...but not in a crazy way. If I'm trying to sprint up a hill or want to quite I just say "come on girl you can do it, you just have to get that far, just think of what you'll look like when it's over" and by the time I finish all my motivational blabber, I'm already up the hill.

You CAN do it. :) Also, I find it helps for me to focus on exercise one day at a time. It's easier for me to say okay, I'll jump rope for 10 minutes today, it's only 10 minutes than for me to say I'm going to do 200 minutes of exercise this week or something. That's scary. Each day is not. :)

Good luck!

I do the same with the motivational self speak. It helps me push. I tell my self come on fat boy you can run this extra 1/4 mile. Then next week you'll do another! People must think I'm nuts in my neighborhood.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    All of my exercise is alone too...except when my dog tags along! I do lots of walking and hiking, swimming, and I even some workouts from ExerciseTV on-demand cable.

Perhaps you could start a post on MFP and look for workout buddies in your area if you really need the extra motivation?