NSV-my jogging breakthrough...

Options
My co-worker and I usually do this route around our work complex...we haven't measured the distance yet, but it usually takes us about 40 minutes to walk it at a moderate pace...

My co-worker has been on vacation this week and last week, so I decided to push myself a little bit more, and incorporate little pieces of jogging into it. Her last day before she went on vacation, she wasn't able to walk with me, so I jogged a tiny bit. For some reason, I felt like I was in slow motion without her next to me, it just felt weird. It was the first time I walked it by myself. Probably being that some areas along the route are creepy, like around the 1/2 way point, it is all woods and fields on both sides, so when you are by yourself you think of who or what could possibly pop out of the bushes, etc. So the creepy part is where I jogged the most (for that day at least). That day, I managed to turn the normal 40 minute walk into a 37 minute walk/jog.

So, last week and this week, I started jogging the distance between 2 or 3 telephone poles...because that is all I could do at one time. I am def not a runner, and I can't get a good breathing technique down yet, so by 2 or 3 poles that I pass, I am dying...Last week, with a little bit more jogging here and there, I got that 40 minute walk down to a 34 minute walk/jog!

I was giving myself credit for decreasing the time by 6 minutes...I thought that was pretty good in itself, don't you? Back to the jogging 2 or 3 telephone poles...that is all I THOUGHT I could do at one time, up until today! Today was a NEW day!

Today, my friends, I jogged a LOT longer than I normally do...I can't tell you the distance, and I lost track of how many telephone poles I past, but if I had to guess, I would say I passed around (at least) 10-15 telephone poles (which, some of you may be chuckling, but that is far for me!) AND, when a car was coming and I had to wait to cross the street, I jogged in place. Somehow, I got this CRAZY IDEA of when I get to the last office building we normally pass, what the heck, I'll try to run farther than I normally can in one shot, even if I move as slow as a turtle (which, up until today, I only have been jogging 2 to 3 telephone poles after that building and walking the rest of the way back)...I initially thought, NO WAY, I won't make it that much further...

I actually jogged from the last building all the way back! I got back to our building, and thought HOLY CRAP! I DID IT!!! FLUFF YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and, I was moving FASTER THAN A TURTLE!!!)

ANNNNNNNNNNND-today I got the time down to 33 (count em, THIRTY THREE!) minutes....

Replies

• Bagtown
    Bagtown Posts: 21
    Options
    Nice Job!! Congrats and its a step in the right direction.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I want to run!!!!

Congrats!!! way to go!!!
  • netsirk419
    netsirk419 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Way to go! If you find any good breathing techniques let ,me know. That is my biggest problem.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Totally inspirational, good for you :happy:
  • yenyen13
    yenyen13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good job! If you want to see how far it was, there is a really good mapping website I use to track my training- it is www.mapmyrun.com. Otherwise, dailymile.com is good too and it shows you fun facts like how many TVs you could have powered with the calories you burnt :)
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Way to go! If you find any good breathing techniques let ,me know. That is my biggest problem.

Me too, anybody?
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: I actually drove the total route, and the total route is 2.4 miles....I actually jogged pretty much a 1/2 mile straight! that is a big deal for me!!!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    That is a HUGE deal! Hip hip hooray for you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!