Starting to add Exercise to your day

Options
Hello to all the new MFP pals and welcome.

I know the idea of adding exercise to your already busy day seems like a tremendous task.

Just wanted to let you know, you CAN do it!

You can start slow. Just park at the back of the parking lot. I counted my steps this way and added a 1/2 mile of walking to my week. Think about it...your searching for the perfect spot, you take 10 minutes to find it, only to spend 2 hours walking around the mall or grocery store!?!

Put your head set on and dance like no ones watching, 5-10-20 minutes. It is fun, and you get a great aerobic work out.

Putting away groceries? Pick up the 2 lb bag of rice 15x on each arm-you have now done 30 bi-ceps curls!

Jump rope,hopscotch,throw a ball, play some hoops, skate with your kid. How many times did I sit there watching my kids thinking, that looks like fun! Get up and do it, you will feel so good when your done, and your kids will be smiling. Dont feel silly, do it!

Then when the fitness bug has hit you, you wont be able to stop! I promise you will love the way your body feels once you get it moving.

FYI-I am 47 yrs old, with a neck and lower back injury. I started out very light. I couldnt walk 1 block without resting, couldnt lift a 2 pound weight more than 10 times, couldnt do 1 push up.
Now I walk/jog 2-3 miles 3x week, lift weights, dance all the time, and I do 30+ push ups every other day. I just joined the 100 push up challenge.(uh, huh, we'll see about that!)

YOU CAN DO IT!! just start small. It is SO worth it!

YOU ARE SO WORTH IT!!
00020069.gif

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hello to all the new MFP pals and welcome.

I know the idea of adding exercise to your already busy day seems like a tremendous task.

Just wanted to let you know, you CAN do it!

You can start slow. Just park at the back of the parking lot. I counted my steps this way and added a 1/2 mile of walking to my week. Think about it...your searching for the perfect spot, you take 10 minutes to find it, only to spend 2 hours walking around the mall or grocery store!?!

Put your head set on and dance like no ones watching, 5-10-20 minutes. It is fun, and you get a great aerobic work out.

Putting away groceries? Pick up the 2 lb bag of rice 15x on each arm-you have now done 30 bi-ceps curls!

Jump rope,hopscotch,throw a ball, play some hoops, skate with your kid. How many times did I sit there watching my kids thinking, that looks like fun! Get up and do it, you will feel so good when your done, and your kids will be smiling. Dont feel silly, do it!

Then when the fitness bug has hit you, you wont be able to stop! I promise you will love the way your body feels once you get it moving.

FYI-I am 47 yrs old, with a neck and lower back injury. I started out very light. I couldnt walk 1 block without resting, couldnt lift a 2 pound weight more than 10 times, couldnt do 1 push up.
    Now I walk/jog 2-3 miles 3x week, lift weights, dance all the time, and I do 30+ push ups every other day. I just joined the 100 push up challenge.(uh, huh, we'll see about that!)

YOU CAN DO IT!! just start small. It is SO worth it!

YOU ARE SO WORTH IT!!
    00020069.gif
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Thank you fro sharing this. I never thought about the grocery thing. Im going to try that. :bigsmile: I also heard from the biggest loser to park in the farthest parking spot. I think bob called it accidental exercise. I have been doing this. My kids keep asking why I don't park closer to the door. :laugh:
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Yep....what arewethereyet is all WONDERFUL advice!!!! Also the attitude that ANY movement counts, check out the calories for housework and running the vacuum....your house will be cleaner and you can count those calories.

I started that way....now I've added a weight belt for when I walk and sometimes around the house, helps keep my heart rate up. You could start with a fanny pack with a couple of cans of soup, work up to kids backpack with a 5-10 lb bag of flour. Sneaky exercise!

You can start anywhere.....just jump in and start moving.....use baby steps and commit for the life style change, rather than the (whatever) pound change. Remember just 1 pound a week AVERAGE is 52 pounds in a year!!!!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. People at work complain because they have to walk a city block to get from the (free) parking lot to their desks. I just smile.

Also, if you have friends who need to move, do NOT avoid them. Go to them and OFFER to help! It burns about 120 cals per hour, and your efforts are appreciated!!
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! You can sneak exercise in at almost any time during the day! Sunday I cleaned house ALL day long and actually worked up a sweat while I was mopping and vacuuming the house. My legs were sore by the end of the night-I guess from being on my feet all day!

What I called "cleaning house" was actually my "exercise"!! HeHe...I feel so sneaky :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    some great ideas here. I am going to add the backpack while walking the dogs. Now HOW do I explain this to DH?:flowerforyou:
  • Periphria
    Periphria Posts: 358
    Options
    Thank you fro sharing this. I never thought about the grocery thing. Im going to try that. :bigsmile: I also heard from the biggest loser to park in the farthest parking spot. I think bob called it accidental exercise. I have been doing this. My kids keep asking why I don't park closer to the door. :laugh:

MY KIDS COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SAME THING. Then I ask them if they have a piano tied to their bumm, and comment on how much harder that would be and then we're there. LOL:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • seegirlrun
    Options
    This is kind of cool:

http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/jumpsite/calculat.htm

Activity Calorie Calculator:
    We'll calculate the number of calories you burn for 222 activities. Fill in your weight and the average amount of time you spend doing an activity. We'll do the math and return an activities page personalized for you. Print the activities page using the print function on your web browser and keep it with your exercise log or tape it on the refrigerator for reference. It's a great reminder of all the activities you can participate in and use for cross-training to stay active and healthy.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

this site was so cool! You get to see it laid out before you!
  • krnelso
    krnelso Posts: 21
    Options
    This is kind of cool:

Activity Calorie Calculator:
    We'll calculate the number of calories you burn for 222 activities. Fill in your weight and the average amount of time you spend doing an activity. We'll do the math and return an activities page personalized for you. Print the activities page using the print function on your web browser and keep it with your exercise log or tape it on the refrigerator for reference. It's a great reminder of all the activities you can participate in and use for cross-training to stay active and healthy.

This is absolutely wonderful! Thanks so much for posting it, I'll definitely get good use from it!!!
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Bumping this so I can put it in my topics....love this thread:heart:

~Roni