Whose to Blame? Whose fault is it anyway"

Yea, when we eat too much and later feel like crap, whose fault is it anyway? You know I often blame myself but it's not always just our doing. Many times our intentions are well thought off and good until we either open the newspaper, watch a commercial, drive by a busy fast food palace, or listen to your favorite radio station and bum right smack in the face, (either your eyes, nose, ears, or mouth is tempted. You do the best you can to ignore it. but the food demons are all around and there is no escaping it. Okay today you conquer tomorrow you are still determine and you win again and again. You go to your 9-5 job mining your own and this must attend meeting is awaiting you. There is plenty of coffee and of course never anything like fruits or health treat but the good old greasy smiling donuts donated by a retailer to your company. Your boss has already had one or two, so are the co workers. You are alone in your fight to stay healthy. They sometimes compliment you on your good job and how you are beginning to look good but not supportive enough not to eat it in front of you. Or your company request these promotors to only give healthy treats. Months go by and you did it if you did not fall short along the way. Now staying true to it becomes another battle because the crap is still around you. Deep hidden in you is that monster is telling you oh honey, you can treat yourself every once in a while. Yea right, The fat monsters are just waiting for you to open the fatty cells and to your surprise, you're back to where you started or more. So, whose fault is it anyway? It's all of us. Be strong! We reap what we sow. You got to keep ignoring these temptations by finding a new hobby each time when the going gets tough, the tough gets going. Its just the world we live in. If looking fabulous means eating healthy, and staying away from the junk then we have to continue fighting it which does get easier. Thanks to websites like this and others that are there for references and guide lines.

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Yea, when we eat too much and later feel like crap, whose fault is it anyway? You know I often blame myself but it's not always just our doing. Many times our intentions are well thought off and good until we either open the newspaper, watch a commercial, drive by a busy fast food palace, or listen to your favorite radio station and bum right smack in the face, (either your eyes, nose, ears, or mouth is tempted. You do the best you can to ignore it. but the food demons are all around and there is no escaping it. Okay today you conquer tomorrow you are still determine and you win again and again. You go to your 9-5 job mining your own and this must attend meeting is awaiting you. There is plenty of coffee and of course never anything like fruits or health treat but the good old greasy smiling donuts donated by a retailer to your company. Your boss has already had one or two, so are the co workers. You are alone in your fight to stay healthy. They sometimes compliment you on your good job and how you are beginning to look good but not supportive enough not to eat it in front of you. Or your company request these promotors to only give healthy treats. Months go by and you did it if you did not fall short along the way. Now staying true to it becomes another battle because the crap is still around you. Deep hidden in you is that monster is telling you oh honey, you can treat yourself every once in a while. Yea right, The fat monsters are just waiting for you to open the fatty cells and to your surprise, you're back to where you started or more. So, whose fault is it anyway? It's all of us. Be strong! We reap what we sow. You got to keep ignoring these temptations by finding a new hobby each time when the going gets tough, the tough gets going. Its just the world we live in. If looking fabulous means eating healthy, and staying away from the junk then we have to continue fighting it which does get easier. Thanks to websites like this and others that are there for references and guide lines.
    Temptations exist in anything that you try to change. The blame, however, lies solely with yourself when you don't have the willpower to resist.

That would be like saying a husband isn't to blame for cheating on his wife, because a girl was acting slutty at a bar. Yea, it's a temptation... so?

It's called personal responsibility. People need to take some.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    true true. it's so hard. I send my son to the bread aisle when we go shopping because if I get a whiff of the donuts, it's all over!
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    [/quote]
    "Temptations exist in anything that you try to change. The blame, however, lies solely with yourself when you don't have the willpower to resist.

That would be like saying a husband isn't to blame for cheating on his wife, because a girl was acting slutty at a bar. Yea, it's a temptation... so?

It's called personal responsibility. People need to take some."
    [/quote]

exactly...
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Temptations exist in anything that you try to change. The blame, however, lies solely with yourself when you don't have the willpower to resist.

^^ What he said ^^
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member

This. Anything else is an excuse or a reason to blame someone else, anything to not take responsibility. It bothers me when people say "My husband ate a donut, he's not supporting me" what HE eats has nothing to do with support OR you.

A lot of people don't WANT to admit they have ultimate control, because then they realize they have no one to blame but themselves.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    I so agree with the above posters... there is temptation in everything we do.. but our free will is still our own.
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155

^^ What he said ^^
    Yep yep agree with him!!
  • not really agreeing with either statement......
    now, if i was an alcoholic, and in recovery, if you offered me a drink with the "just one wont hurt!" now that would be bad on you
    if i quit smoking and the same thing happened-again, thats a ****ty thing to do to someone, isnt it.....but offer a dieter a cake-ah thats ok, just one wont hurt!!!!well a trigger food is always a trigger food- you can be addicted to sugar/carbs/etc
    now, yes, willpower is an amazing thing, not everyone has it, i am afraid. most people are over weight for a number of different reasons, and its not just because they are pigs.
    .....but!!! it is your body, it is your digestive system, it is your heart, it is your cholesterol....and it is your choice if you do eat it or not.
    i am an emotional eater, i eat my problems, always have, probably always will...hands up all those who have never eaten comfort food????-maybe you go to the bar, and drink instead??like a cigarette when you are stressed out??-well, guess what, eaters eat!
    so please dont judge harshly, i actually blame guilt, as the main problem.
    rant over, remove me from your pages if you want, i will always feel this way, until we are no longer allowed opinions, lets agree to differ, eh??
    that is all.x
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    not really agreeing with either statement......
    now, if i was an alcoholic, and in recovery, if you offered me a drink with the "just one wont hurt!" now that would be bad on you
    if i quit smoking and the same thing happened-again, thats a ****ty thing to do to someone, isnt it.....but offer a dieter a cake-ah thats ok, just one wont hurt!!!!well a trigger food is always a trigger food- you can be addicted to sugar/carbs/etc
    now, yes, willpower is an amazing thing, not everyone has it, i am afraid. most people are over weight for a number of different reasons, and its not just because they are pigs.
    .....but!!! it is your body, it is your digestive system, it is your heart, it is your cholesterol....and it is your choice if you do eat it or not.
    i am an emotional eater, i eat my problems, always have, probably always will...hands up all those who have never eaten comfort food????-maybe you go to the bar, and drink instead??like a cigarette when you are stressed out??-well, guess what, eaters eat!
    rant over, remove me from your pages if you want, i will always feel this way, until we are no longer allowed opinions, lets agree to differ, eh??
    that is all.x

And an ex-alcoholic and an ex-smoker people offer me drinks and smokes all the time. I say NO.
  • Avalonis
    not really agreeing with either statement......
    that is all.x

And an ex-alcoholic and an ex-smoker people offer me drinks and smokes all the time. I say NO.

Like I said... personal responsibility. Kudos for having it :D
  • Other people don't have to change the way they eat and the choices they make because we are present. When I was trying to lose weight nothing could make me go off track - losing 2 lb a week was enough motivation as I saw the result of being strong. If the donuts are there, leave them alone. No-one puts a gun to your head and makes you eat them. Nor should your co-workers not have to have them because you find it difficult not to eat them.

Suggestions: 1/ get some sugar free sweets and if a situation arises where you are tempted, suck on one of those. You'll get the sweetness, distraction and it's hard to eat anything when there is a sweet in your mouth. 2/ willpower. Just don't do it.

Something I am finding good at the moment is to regularly buy something to wear that I love in the correct size. I'd hate for it not to fit after buying it and because I love it. It helps keep me going :-)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I don't know about you, but if I eat some junky food that isn't good for me, I know exactly who is to blame. ME!

I'm not stupid, I know there is a huge corporate machine out there trying to make money from suckers like me who see a new KitKat ad and wonder how tasty would that be...... but I KNOW it isn't good for me, so most often I won't buy one or eat one. Sometimes I don't resist temptation, but then it is nobody's fault but mine - if I eat too much junk in a week and my weight stays the same or goes up I know exactly why.

Blaming someone else just perpetuates the "victim" mentality and is a great way to fail over and over again.
  • Avalonis
    Blaming someone else just perpetuates the "victim" mentality and is a great way to fail over and over again.

Bingo.

I like you. Girl after my own heart.
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    i am an emotional eater, i eat my problems, always have, probably always will...

If you know this about yourself, why wouldn't you want to make a change for the better?? I was like that, I could eat a whole box (12pack) of hostess cupcakes while balling my eyes out. I learned that was wrong. Do I stil do it, yup!! but with a punching bag or a walk, or 1 cherry. (oh they are so good! ) Get out of that cycle~ YOU are better than that regardless what pushes your buttons!!

^^ well said.