Recalculate my goals?

Options
When I entered my weight yesterday, a pop up stated I have lost over 10 lbs, would I like to recalculate my goals. Is this necessary? Why would I need to recalculate my goals?

Thanks!

Replies

• crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    cause at a different weight, You need different amount of calories to continue losing weight
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    i started out with able to eat 1800 calories. now that ive recaluclated goals as ive went along, im down the 1560 calories.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well thats only if you want to change it or anythink else so dont worry
    steve
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've noticed I get about 10 calories less for every pound I lose.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It's to recalculate your daily calorie goals, not your ultimate goal weight. As others have said, we require fewer calories (to maintain or to lose) when we weigh less than we did. :smile:
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Some people break their loss down into smaller sections. So instead of having their goal weight as the 80lbs they want to lose, they might break it down into 10 or 15lb increments. Then it would be necessary to readjust.

However, as you lose weight, your calorie intake changes. That may be what it is reminding you to change. You update your current weight under your goals, and it will readjust how many calories you need to eat every day.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Your original calorie deficit per day was based on your starting weight and metabolism at that time.
    As you lose weight, your body doesn't have to work as hard to carry that reduced weight, so your daily deficit should be reduced to account for that.
    It's not really worth messing with until you lose a significant amount, ie. 10#.
    I started at a daily goal of 1770. After having lost some weight, my daily goal is now 1620.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It is necessary for you to enter your new goals because the calculations will update based on new weight and if you wish to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week. The the system takes these numbers and figures out your best calorie intake and how much you will weigh if you continue for 5 weeks. it also adjusts the calories burned in the exercises folder.
  • Pynkklady
    Pynkklady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense...however, my daily caloric intake right now is 1360. I shouldn't really go too much lower, should I? There have been several days where I have consumed less than 1200 calories and I get the "you're eating too few calories..." message.

Also, what is BUMP??

Thanks, everyone, for your help!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    "Bump" is what people say when they want to follow a thread and/or "bump" it back up to the top of the recent posts to get more replies.

Part of recalculating your goals might include reducing the amount you aim to lose each week. If you're aiming for two pounds a week, you'll eventually want to change that to 1.5, 1 or .5 pounds a week. Or you might realize that you're actually more "lightly active" than "sedentary." It's all a matter of finding what's right for you. I personally did better on a one pound a week loss than trying for two pounds a week.

You're right, you shouldn't go below 1200. Ideally, you should NET 1200 calories.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Bump means to save for later. It save the topic to "My Topics"

I would not go below 1200 unless you ate that many cals then worked a few off. -Say like you ate 1350 but your work out was 200 cals. that would put you 1150.

But even then you will find your body slowing down in weight loss. 1200 is the lowest anyone can eat before your body moves to starvation mode.

If you find that your base calorie intake is too low then you can change your goal to 1lb and it will adjust your calorie level for you.

The things to remember is- 3500 calories equals 1lb. and 1200 calories is needed to survive. If keep these in mind you should do just fine.