shakes & bars

Options
I'm trying to find the best shakes and bars that can help with weight loss., Any suggestions? Has anyone used shakeology?

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that. Only thing has worked for me so far is the simply math of counting calories in and out.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    shakes and bars are usefull becasue they take the guess work out of things. A lot of people swear by them but it still comes down to calories!
  • lunatletica
    Options
    I like Jay Robb's chocolate shake - high protein and low sugar. For bars I am addicted to Nuts over Chocolate Luna bar :)
  • rcrews4
    rcrews4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am currently using the Herbalife Formula 1 shakes and having good success. They are packed full of nutrients and have proven to be very filling. We do two shakes a day along with a multi-vitamin and herbal tea. Feel great, clothes are fitting looser and the weight is starting to drop! Let me know if you want many info about them, feel free to send me a message. Thanks and good luck!
  • johnandholli
    Options
    I using atkins shakes & bars right now, but I am still using mfp.com to count the calories. If I am count calories and exercise it has always worked. I am not sure how your program works, are calorie counts still available? They are on atkins.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to learn how to eat right size portions of normal every day foods. But, having said that, I like EAS AdvantEDGE protein shakes. They're not meal replacements but, at only 110 calories and 17 grams of proteins, they're great snacks when you're on the run.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I drink the Total Lean Shakes from GNC for breakfast and sometimes lunch or after a workout. They are cheap and they help curb cravings. Shakology is a waste of money in my opinion. Plus it tastes like sludge.
  • psnow9127
    psnow9127 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take a shake with me to work for dinner every night. I really love it. I bought one of those personal blenders called a Shake n Take. It is amazing and only like $20. I use MRM Whey Protein powder. ( I buy it through Amazon.com, got the blender there too)
    The powder is only 87 calories per serving and has 18g of protein. I use silk Almond milk as well, it is he only 35 calories per cup. My favorites are mrm, almond milk, banana, cocoa powder or mrm, almond milk, strawberry and raspberry. I also add Greek yogurt for more protein and creaminess.
  • Surrealgamer
    Surrealgamer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like a scoop of Whey protein with 1 cup frozen mixed berries, 4 ounce OJ, and 4 ounces water blended. YUMMY! It holds my appetite as well as 2 eggs, 1 slice of bacon, spinach and feta for the same calorie count ~ 250.

I completely agree with the people who've said it really comes down to meeting your net calorie goals. On that note, I will eat a Cliff MOJO bar for lunch if I'm in a pinch. Keeps me satisfied for 2-3 hours so I don't think the bar is as satisfying as something with a lot of volume like a lot of greens with lean protein and unsaturated fats.
  • itisjessdarling
    itisjessdarling Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think most bars/shakes dont taste that great, but I recently found one I LOVE. its Special K Protein Meal Bar (chocolate peanut butter) It has 10g protein and 5g fiber and 180 calories. I dont think its a great idea to try and lost weight with just bars/shakes because what happens when you stop using them and start eating regular food again? I keep one on me just in case I get really hungry and dont have time for a meal or I eat it between meals usually lunch and dinner so I dont get so hungry that I over eat at dinner.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I use Premier Protein but Jay Robb and Pure Proten are very popular. You want to look for Shakes and/or Powder that is less than 200 calories, 25 or more grams of protein and very little fat and sugar. Stuff like Slim Fast, Atkins or Special K don't give enough nutrition for the amount of calories.

Bars: Depends on what you are looking for. If looking for a protein bar, Pure Protein are very good, around 200 calories and 17 or more grams of protein each. Bars have more fat and sugar than the shakes but not bad.

Lots of the other bars mentioned are good too just not as much protein.

Best of Luck!
  • amyliu7
    amyliu7 Posts: 17
    Options
    thanks for everyone's input. i've tried many different types and am always trying to get in more protein into my diet. i am currently using "Oh Yeah" shakes which are delicious but too pricey. And I just bought a box of "You Bars", which are really good but doesn't have enough protein in them.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm totally addicted to shakes now. I usually have 2, 100% whey shakes a day (the cytosport Muscle Milk 100% whey at Costco, it's $36 for a 6 lb bag.). Each shake contains about 27 grams of protein. I also eat every 3 hours now. My energy has gone up dramatically and every time I look in the mirror, I notice something changing. I've also noticed my muscles increasing in size. My weight went up a couple of pounds, but I've lost in inches, so I attribute that to muscle mass gain.

EDIT: ok never mind the pictures. The cals per shake is 140 for the chocolate. Not to shabby and with 27 grams of protein, it's a good bang for your buck.